Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, another one who can't work out what's the best option...
Picking up eNiro this week. Kia haven't been great with the Comms so I've only had about a week to prepare. Need to sort out home charger.
My main concern is location. I need someone to come and tell me what the options are before I decide on the point. I only need a dumb one as I don't have a smart meter or tariff. But if it has to go in certain locations outside the house I'd pick a neater/more stylish option. I presume the national installers need to know which point you want before they come?

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
There are some rules around where a grant funded charger can go, but assuming it’s your own property it can be anywhere you want it to be really.

Limitations will be cable runs and access to the fuse box and your own tolerance for visibility of wiring.

I’ve found from the two installer schemes I’ve used in the past (Rolec and Pod Point), non standard installs got pricey quite quickly.

If you can describe or show a photo of the locations you’re thinking of, I’m sure the knowledgeable will chime in on here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick responses

Garage is attached and is where the main fusebox is. Could it be installed inside the garage and just chop out a bit of the door so the cable could run through it? Should add that no car could fit the garage (obviously!)

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Could it be installed inside the garage and just chop out a bit of the door so the cable could run through it?
Absolut.

Note that special earthing arrangements are needed, so you might need a rod driving in the ground outside. That would mean disturbing that paving, and avoiding any other services that might be under there. There are 'black boxes' they get round that, but they aren't cheap.
Discuss with electrician.

Should add that no car could fit the garage (obviously!)
Looks more like a motorbike store :oops:

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,543 Posts
My old Rolec needed an earth rod but the new zappi2 does not need one due to some clever circuitry inside, it may be the same with others so might be worth asking so that you can get a neater installation.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Does that garage door swing out when you open it? If not, I wonder if you might get a small charger on the door reveal on the left or right hand side.

Failing that, would your neighbour let you install behind that potted creeper?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I suggest getting your electrician to install an interlinked Commando socket in the garage; buy an Ohme charger with the Octopus discount for just under £200 and run the charging cable through a small slot in the door surround. Will probably work out a lot cheaper and you can take the Ohme charger with you if you move.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I only need a dumb one as I don't have a smart meter or tariff
Just to clarify terminology, as mikegs alluded to above, in government terminology a Smart Charge Point is one that has an Internet connection, and you can now only get OLEV funding for a Smart Charge Point.

·
Registered
BMW 300e 2020 model and Leaf 40kW 2019 model
287 Posts
Thanks for the quick responses
View attachment 133555
Garage is attached and is where the main fusebox is. Could it be installed inside the garage and just chop out a bit of the door so the cable could run through it? Should add that no car could fit the garage (obviously!)
Why not installing the charger on a pole outside the garage? I mean, charger cables should not be extended, so it is better if you have the box near the car then having it in the garage. All the boxes I know of are made for outdoor use, so they can cope with the weather.

·
Registered
220 Posts
It would be a shame to start cutting your garage door. Why not have it on the wall underneath your window? Some units are small and not too ugly. Your photo shows grass in window reflection so if you need an earthing rod it could go in the soft turf there. It is your electrical supply that determines if you need an earthing rod or not, not the charger although some like the Zappi mean you don't need one whatever the supply.
Depends on whether you want a tethered charger or not. The EO mini is tiny without cable and Ohme is smallish.
If most charging is to be done at home definitely consider changing tariff and charge at night.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Just to clarify terminology, as mikegs alluded to above, in government terminology a Smart Charge Point is one that has an Internet connection, and you can now only get OLEV funding for a Smart Charge Point.
That's a bit of a gross simplification....More like has remote Comms to a back office using an approved protocol ( presumption is OCCP) that allows for remote data harvesting and control and software uploads etc

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
201 Posts
Fitting near the fuse box makes a lot of sense. Think about cable runs, if under the window the charging cable will be a trip hazard outside your front door. I'd fit inside the garage and find a way to run the cable outside. The newer wall boxes do not require an earth rod. They either have inbuilt Open PEN protection (Pod Point, Zappi2) or an external device. There are 2 such devices, Matt:E & Garo. I have the former but it's cheap & nasty! Will be getting it changed for a Garo soon

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe Signature Nav R90 ZE40 Diamond Black Metallic
276 Posts
I use a cat flap installed in the garage door (I don't have a cat so the height is set for my convenience.🐱) No need to open the garage door, I just pull open the flap, grab the charging cable which is hanging on a hook behind the flap, unhook, pull out, plug in. Reverse the process after completing the charge.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does that garage door swing out when you open it? If not, I wonder if you might get a small charger on the door reveal on the left or right hand side.

Failing that, would your neighbour let you install behind that potted creeper?
Apologies for the late reply, picked up the car today and been playing with my new toy 😁
Yep, up and over so wouldn't work on the sides. Thought about the neighbours side. It's 50/50 really.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
<<<<<<Picking up eNiro this week. Kia haven't been great with the Comms so I've only had about a week to prepare. Need to sort out home charger.>>>>>
You must mean the dealer and not KIA, I got the VIN number and had the charger fitted 3 months before I got the car.
Yes, dealer. Haven't had the best experience. Anyway, car now on drive. Looking forward to first outing tomorrow
It would be a shame to start cutting your garage door. Why not have it on the wall underneath your window? Some units are small and not too ugly. Your photo shows grass in window reflection so if you need an earthing rod it could go in the soft turf there. It is your electrical supply that determines if you need an earthing rod or not, not the charger although some like the Zappi mean you don't need one whatever the supply.
Depends on whether you want a tethered charger or not. The EO mini is tiny without cable and Ohme is smallish.
If most charging is to be done at home definitely consider changing tariff and charge at night.
Under the window is possible. I was worried about the cable run (there is room under the door I reckon) Currently with Bulb, will see about changing tariffs, I saw they are doing new rates but only with smart meters, which I don't have yet either

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe Signature Nav R90 ZE40 Diamond Black Metallic
276 Posts
Steven, the cat flap is white, it'll match your garage door perfectly. Go for it!! 🐈
Stephen

1 - 20 of 20 Posts