Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am an EV convert and the only thing holding me back from trading in my car (350z) for a Nissan Leaf is my bespoke home charging conundrum.

Our house is a newly renovated tannery barn which forms part of a larger site development. Parking spaces were constructed in shared areas across the site and allocated to each property. Some properties are fortunate to have garages or simply space outside their house to pull up close and so would be easily able to install a home charger. I however, do not...

My spaces are approx 20m from my house and accessible via shared road/drive and even under a coach house! So would definitely not qualify for a standard installation. I could give up on home charging and rely solely on charging at work or public chargers but I want that flexibility at home so want to exhaust every home option before making the decision.

I have a few ideas which I will list below based on my research which I think could have legs. I appreciate any comments or advice.

1) If my spaces cannot be charged from my home meter can I install a second meter or some kind of smart charger from a mains supply elsewhere on site? In other words, my spaces are close to a mains electric supply, just not mine.

2) There are some underground infrastructure inspection hatches dotted around the shared drive. Does anyone have experience with what electric inspection hatches and trenches look like as perhaps I could lay a cable down an already established trench to prevent additional excavation?

3) I am trying to spark a mini town and housing development scale EV revolution and encourage the installation of public on street parking charge bays by leveraging the OLEV grants. What have people's experiences been with these. E.g ease of use, cost appearance. Anyone approached their council with on street charging proposals?

Here are some ideas I have considered but I don't believe are appropriate:
- Suspended cable. I am on a listed site.
- Trenching the whole way. Cost prohibitive.
- Renting spaces from others. Choosing an EV primarily because of lower operational costs so this wouldn't be ideal.

Thank you in advance for any help and advice.

Glen

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'd give pod point a call. Enderby I was chasing to the guy who came to install mine (which used about 25m of cable but I wasn't charged extra) he said that he did home and business installations. He knew lots about cable length runs and even he'd need to use a ticket cable to avoid voltage drops.

Anyway. I think they will be able to advise. You never know, your may be able to club together with other residents to get more than one and split the cost. After all, once they see your leaf, they'll all want one.

Grab some images from Google maps and draw on them and send them to pod point. Maybe post them here for interest. There are always others in a similar boat to you.

Andy

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Your situation is rather like what Oxford's trying to cope with - they have streets of terraced houses, so how to charge? They're trying short steel channels set into the pavements so you can feed your own cable in & out of it each time you charge, but you're not guaranteed that space on the road outside your house & channel won't be parked-in by another resident. At least you have a space reserved, but 20m sounds a very long way to try to channel!
They also have 7kW chargers in the streets on posts, so you can share with locals, but I can see that bottle-necking once a large %age of locals have Bevs.

I suspect that this channel-trial scheme will fall into disuse soon. The next gen of cars (Kona, Model3, Bolt, BYD E5, ...), some of which we'll see here this year, will have 60 kWh batteries in (or more, iPace, Tesla,...). That means a range of 240 miles comfortably in summer, around 200 in winter. If I were in your position I'd be looking for one of these cars, and simply refill it at a Rapid when I need a big fill for the week, and do as much free/low-cost topping-up at car-parks or wherever else I could find it.

This rather supposes that Rapid costs will be comparable/cheaper than petrol; Shell look to be charging about 45p per kWh, which is probably more than petrol costs! I would hope that a town would be able to set up it's own Rapid (you need 2 at least, in case one fails) with some sort of reduced-cost subscription system for the residents. Maybe this could be worked out as a rebate paid based on the post-code of the debit card used, or something like that. We think the capital cost of a Rapid is around £50K - maybe a community could crownfund one and get cheaper electricity from being a founder? Or could a small local company be set up with shareholders getting a dividend from the profits as a way of making the leccy cheaper for locals? Holidaymakers would probably be quite happy to pay 45p/unit while on hols, as it's in a good cause & they should be feeling relaxed & happy!

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Your first option is possible but I suspect there may be restrictions as to what you can install at your parking space. You need to talk to other residents and the site owners about EVs and try to gain support. I have installed electric meters in largish green cabinets on new developments in the Barnet area of London. Each cabinet supplied 7 type 2 charge outlets as I recall. There were about 5 cabinets on the development as I recall. Barnet are quite forward thinking as I did not see any residents actually had an electric car at the time. As to how the electricty was to be paid for I am not sure

I think the actual charging posts were Chargemaster manufactured with a key to activate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah okay good idea thank you for the suggestion. Well done getting the extra length free of charge.

I'd give pod point a call. Enderby I was chasing to the guy who came to install mine (which used about 25m of cable but I wasn't charged extra) he said that he did home and business installations. He knew lots about cable length runs and even he'd need to use a ticket cable to avoid voltage drops.

Anyway. I think they will be able to advise. You never know, your may be able to club together with other residents to get more than one and split the cost. After all, once they see your leaf, they'll all want one.

Grab some images from Google maps and draw on them and send them to pod point. Maybe post them here for interest. There are always others in a similar boat to you.

Andy

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the comparison with Oxford ;)

Interesting to hear about the channel idea, much better than illegal trailing cables. I would love a Tesla with that kind of range but won't be able to afford for a while yet.

I suspect the charging costs to be offered by traditional petrol garages will be artificially high for a while and negate much of the benefit of owning an EV. In which case I will probably stick with an ICE car until another solution emerges.

Thanks again for the comments.

Glen

Your situation is rather like what Oxford's trying to cope with - they have streets of terraced houses, so how to charge? They're trying short steel channels set into the pavements so you can feed your own cable in & out of it each time you charge, but you're not guaranteed that space on the road outside your house & channel won't be parked-in by another resident. At least you have a space reserved, but 20m sounds a very long way to try to channel!
They also have 7kW chargers in the streets on posts, so you can share with locals, but I can see that bottle-necking once a large %age of locals have Bevs.

I suspect that this channel-trial scheme will fall into disuse soon. The next gen of cars (Kona, Model3, Bolt, BYD E5, ...), some of which we'll see here this year, will have 60 kWh batteries in (or more, iPace, Tesla,...). That means a range of 240 miles comfortably in summer, around 200 in winter. If I were in your position I'd be looking for one of these cars, and simply refill it at a Rapid when I need a big fill for the week, and do as much free/low-cost topping-up at car-parks or wherever else I could find it.

This rather supposes that Rapid costs will be comparable/cheaper than petrol; Shell look to be charging about 45p per kWh, which is probably more than petrol costs! I would hope that a town would be able to set up it's own Rapid (you need 2 at least, in case one fails) with some sort of reduced-cost subscription system for the residents. Maybe this could be worked out as a rebate paid based on the post-code of the debit card used, or something like that. We think the capital cost of a Rapid is around £50K - maybe a community could crownfund one and get cheaper electricity from being a founder? Or could a small local company be set up with shareholders getting a dividend from the profits as a way of making the leccy cheaper for locals? Holidaymakers would probably be quite happy to pay 45p/unit while on hols, as it's in a good cause & they should be feeling relaxed & happy!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Rory,

Fair point about restrictions. I think you are right about gaining general support for EV's on site, then as a community we can look into more integrated means of charging vehicles as a community.

My idea is to avail of the on street parking OLEV grant as we also suffer from no visitors spaces. I will be proposing that we could build both visitors spaces and charging points built to kill to birds with one stone. However, I'm not sure what effects this would have on charging costs Vs home charging.

Thanks Rory.

Glen

Your first option is possible but I suspect there may be restrictions as to what you can install at your parking space. You need to talk to other residents and the site owners about EVs and try to gain support. I have installed electric meters in largish green cabinets on new developments in the Barnet area of London. Each cabinet supplied 7 type 2 charge outlets as I recall. There were about 5 cabinets on the development as I recall. Barnet are quite forward thinking as I did not see any residents actually had an electric car at the time. As to how the electricty was to be paid for I am not sure

I think the actual charging posts were Chargemaster manufactured with a key to activate.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
If charging at work is possible i think id go for that allied with a bigger battery car that the 30kWh leaf.
At the same time see whats possible with a shared EV charger for the development but there are numerous issues with that.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,628 Posts
Worse case that no one is willing on the estate to chip in, and you are not eligible for any OLEV help, it may be doable to just ask a neighbour or anyone within walking distance if you can install a socket and meter in one of their unused parking spaces. I would try any household with solar installed first as they are more likely to give any thought to the enviromental benefits perhaps.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hello ,
Im on the same boat trying to get power to my garage under shared walk way . If you have heard of moling (trenchless cable/pipe laying) probably the best for you. You need the permission of your neighbours, reliable company to do it , my problem is can't find company. The distance is about 25 m and the small companies have to dig a hole halfway to install it which is not acceptable in my case the bigger companies which got the rigs are not interested is too small job for them.

·
Registered
Volkswagen e-Golf 2018
1,999 Posts
My cable run ended up being very long as I had to use a very convoluted route to my garage which is not joined to the house. EV Charging Solutions just charged me a bit extra for more cable.

If that isn’t going to work for you, then you could find who has the nearest meter to your parking space. You could get a new fiscal meter or a sub-meter, but be prepared for it to be expensive if the DNO have to put in a complete new service.

Finally, you could get some kind of communal charging put in for other future users. You might get a grant.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts