Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So all the 32A home-charging points eligible for a subsidy in the UK cost around £195 - after the subsidy is taken off that is. After discussing with one installer I got some idea how their installation would look. The electricity would come from my fuse box and the point would then be attached to my garage which is a few metres in front of the house. They would connect the two via a new cable. The connection, I was told, would be laid from the house and - here is the hard-to-believe bit - according to the installer the armoured cable would be left lying on the ground across my front garden after completion. If I wanted to put it a few inches below the surface then that would be up to me after installation.

What has other people's experience been? Do other installer bury the cable properly? Do they do it within the subsidised £195 standard price?

·
Registered
43 Posts
We're in Essex, we had a 6.6 point installed by the most useless company (Horizon Systems) we haven't got armoured cable but it's neatly around the bottom of the house, it cost £185 but the whole thing was a complete farce from start to finish, we ended up getting Rolec involved and as a result an actual Rolec advisor came out to re do the work. Rolec terminated their contract with them.

Surely they should do it all tho so it's safely underground a tad?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I had a quote from Rolec (or SRG electrical Ltd on their behalf) for a 32A tethered who wanted to charge me an extra £95 for more cable making it £290 on OLEV. It's a bit of a joke as its a really short and easy run as I've had another chargemaster point installed about 4m away in my garage so I'm avoiding them as they seem to be cowboys. I'm going to go with one of the others where at least you get a fixed price. Even though it'll end up being about the same I'm not going to use Rolec out of principle:D

·
SRG Electrical Ltd
3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Also ChargedEV and I live a long way from their base so I wasn't expecting them to arrive until maybe the afternoon but there was a ring on the doorbell first thing - the installer had stayed in a B&B just down the road! He didn't have enough armoured cable with him though so ran normal cable round the back of the house in trunking at windowsill level. Looks OK as the house is painted white, plus there's a bank behind the house anyway. He did give me the choice of him getting armoured cable but that would have meant returning on another day and I needed it installed that day. So overall I'm happy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts