Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

New to the group, had a quick look around thought its best to ask my specific questions.

I am on the verge of ordering a Skoda Enyaq 60 Loft from my company car scheme. However I am scoping out the install of a home charge point prior to ordering. The details of the property are below;
  • Semi Detached
  • 10m Long garden
  • Closest car parking space is at the end of said garden (circa 14-15m from the charge port on the car itself)
  • Electric meter and consumer unit are on the side of the house (non detached side) around 14m from the back garden door
  • Small garden shed at the absolute rear of the garden

My questions are as follows;
  • Can the wiring from the consumer unit / electric meter box for the charge point be ran around the outside of house pinned to the wall at a decent height?
  • If the charger was mounted on the rear wall, is there a reliable 15m charge cable (from charge point to car) on the market?
  • Can the charge point be mounted on a shed?
  • Can the wiring from the electric meter box / consumer unit be ran and pinned along a fence or does it have to be buried?

Apologies for all of the questions, I am really wanting to make the switch to an EV but I am concerned that it may not be possible with such an awkward install.

Our company is providing a grant of 50% upto £400 of the cost of charge point excluding the install. I am also more than capable of doing much of the work for an electrician in terms of laying the wire and protecting it to keep the costs down a little.

Look forward to being part of the group, from what I've seen so fair you are a very knowledgeable and helpful bunch!

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD, Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav)
720 Posts
As a starting point, I'd suggest getting the charge point close to the car, running an armoured cable to it from the consumer unit. The armoured cable could be buried or (I think) it may be acceptable to run it along a sturdy fence.

If the shed is up to it (and close to the parking space) I see no reason for not mounting a charge point on it. Or on a suitable post next to it.

My reasons for having a long cable to the charge point, rather than a long cable from it to the car, are:
  • The cable to the charge point can be fixed and with nice thick conductors to avoid voltage drops.
  • The cable from the charge point to the car can be relatively thin and flexible.
  • You won't have to find a way to run the cable from the charge point to the car, avoid tripping over it, and finding a way of rolling and storing it.
Is this feasible? If so we can all respond to your other questions.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,751 Posts
Welcome. Great car choice. Assuming that the shed is a substantial structure and not a bit of a 'shed' if you know what I mean my first thought would be to lay a new 32 amp supply to a new CU inside there. The company grant budget should cover that pretty much. It's usually best to clip the cable to the house wall from the meter but bury it in the ground down to the new CU. Much money to be saved by DIY digging the required trench. Any local sparky would advise on cable spec and his requirements on trench depth and route. When all was ready he would inspect the trench, install, and then sign off the work afterwards.

However, this depends on the parking itself. You say that it's "at the end of the garden". Is that your own parking space - as in on land owned by yourself? If not, and if the charging cable has to cross a pavement or public land or other peoples land it can raise some difficulties. Trailing cables in those circumstances can be a problem from public liability issues. Cars being charged from a home unit really should be parked entirely on the owners land at the time. If not it can negate the Gov't grant for a charger. If that isn't an issue then any installer would have a standard price quote to connect to the shed CU.

But in any case, there are other considerations before a plan is made. Such as main company fuse size and condition of the existing wiring. So your first step should be to ask a local electrician to call and assess the possibilities.

Please give more info on the parking aspect as this is quite an important factor when planning a charge point location.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
  • The cable to the charge point can be fixed and with nice thick conductors to avoid voltage drops.
  • The cable from the charge point to the car can be relatively thin and flexible.
  • You won't have to find a way to run the cable from the charge point to the car, avoid tripping over it, and finding a way of rolling and storing it.
Is this feasible? If so we can all respond to your other questions.
Thanks, Yes that all seems feasible to me. The parking spot is specific to our property, so no concerns with tripping etc and the car is going to be immediately outside of the gate too.

Welcome. Great car choice. Assuming that the shed is a substantial structure and not a bit of a 'shed' if you know what I mean my first thought would be to lay a new 32 amp supply to a new CU inside there. The company grant budget should cover that pretty much. It's usually best to clip the cable to the house wall from the meter but bury it in the ground down to the new CU. Much money to be saved by DIY digging the required trench. Any local sparky would advise on cable spec and his requirements on trench depth and route. When all was ready he would inspect the trench, install, and then sign off the work afterwards.

Please give more info on the parking aspect as this is quite an important factor when planning a charge point location.
Thanks, yes apologies for the lack of detail on parking. We have a double space directly outside our rear gate. With no risk of tripping etc the spaces are designated to our property. Almost a driveway I guess. I don't think we will be eligible for the grant, with it being a company car and also the supplier agreement by company will likely have with the third party charge point providers.

With regards to the shed, the one at the end of the garden is a 6ft x 4ft one, with garden tools inside. I also have another one which is around 10ft x 14ft closer to the house, which is more of a workshop. The plan has always been to run electric to this at some stage, I imagine we could possibly combine this and the charge point install. I should probably take a photograph to explain clearly both the parking and shed / garden layout for some more detail.

Thanks for your advice and input so far.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,751 Posts
With regards to the shed, the one at the end of the garden is a 6ft x 4ft one, with garden tools inside. I also have another one which is around 10ft x 14ft closer to the house, which is more of a workshop. The plan has always been to run electric to this at some stage, I imagine we could possibly combine this and the charge point install. I should probably take a photograph to explain clearly both the parking and shed / garden layout for some more detail.
Thanks. Sounds like there could be a plan then. Perhaps a hybrid version ( see what I did there?) Run a substantial power cable to the workshop shed, and fit a small CU in there with wiring for the workshop sockets and lights. All groundworks DIY. At the same time run an armoured cable down to the bottom of the garden from the workshop CU and on to a post mounted charger unit. Any decent post will do the job and some have used a £10 railway sleeper. Cosmetics can matter though. And one like these may pass the domestic overview better. Others are available.

EVCAP - Mounting Post for any Car Charger (evchargerpost.com)

If such a post was installed just inside your back gate, with sufficient either tethered cable or separate type 2 cable length to reach the car, it could provide a good solution to both your car and workshop needs. With all groundworks DIY to contain costs a bit.

The plan being to connect the second armoured cable to the new workshop CU and run it down to the post location in a DIY trench. A sparky will deffo be required to design all this as the total draw if all workshop equipment is energised at the same time as the car is charging it could need a quite high supply. And that could knock on to cause house issues if the main fuse is less than 100 amps.

All things are possible though and there are limiter and power management solutions to overcome most problems. If that becomes necessary there are many experts in here to give advice on the selection of equipment to solve such issues. But your sparky might be fully up to speed on such matters and offer a solution and quote to work within current regulations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts