Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations on brand, tethered, 3kw or 7kw, or anything else.
Any experience with solar panel compatibility?
Does anyone have any additional advice / suggestions. We have a 67 leaf 30.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Definitely get a 7kW one if you‘re able to, you’ll find it very useful, especially if you’re charging overnight on cheaper tariffs as you’ll be able to charge from flat in a shorter amount of time.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I assume you mean they will still work if you have solar panels. Of course they will. That sounds like a Donald comment!
The OP asked a question as to which chargers are compatible with solar panel and hopefully he now understands that they all.

To expand, your grid connected solar panels will export any surplus above your domestic consumption and import any shortfall. This includes EV chargings. Sounds like s perfect system to me.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
your grid connected solar panels will export any surplus above your domestic consumption and import any shortfall. This includes EV chargings. Sounds like s perfect system to me.
Perfect for what?
Not perfect for making the most of the surplus power generated by the solar panels without importing from the grid.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
It's perfect because everyone gets to benefit at the lowest cost to ALL, from low carbon power generation.

Without the grid, your wee solar setup wouldnae even work. Not to mention the ability to charge in the depths of a grey UK winter.

No need to be selfish😁

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
That's not being selfish at all. One of the reasons to buy solar panels is that they have a ROI.
If they didn't I wouldn't have been able to afford to buy them, and it's the same with the EVs.
Without savings and government grants I wouldn't have solar panels, would still be burning oil to heat my house and driving an ICE. It's not selfish to want to use as much of the self generated electricity as possible, that is helping recoup the cost of having them installed. Charging the EV without paying for the electricity helps recoup the extra cost of buying an EV.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Without the old high feed-in tariffs, solar panels don't have much of an ROI any more. Making a profit over their expected lifetime is not easy these days, although this might be easier with an EV (and thus higher electricity usage).

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Main reason for installing solar panels is because it's a good thing to do if you are able. Any benefits beyond that are incidental.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the comments and advice. Someone told me not all will fit with solar, hence the question. It’s the environmental reasons that motivate. I looked at Zappi and yeah they are expensive. Anyone have pod point, Rolec or charged ev?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,829 Posts
PodPoint, whilst an excellent low risk choice for a charge point, isn't to the best of my knowledge able to fully integate with Solar. The Project EV is a low cost option that is, but the App is very poor.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
I have a 4 yr old dumb Rolec. This had crap RCBO, since replaced with good quality Garo, cost appx £25. Rolec is v modular, easy to DIY mend and alter. I've replaced the ECU (brains module) with Viridian Mainline ECU £85 which supports variable rate charging. Today I got my son's Arduino code to build, found a bug in it which had stalled me. So his server on a Raspberry Pi gathers import/export data from small Esp8266 NodeMcu in the gge with current sensor at CU. Another NodeMcu sits in lounge feeding from Pi, and displays continuous import/export on small display, so I know when to tweak electric heater. Next item is I'll code another NodeMcu to read same data, and control the Mainpine.

So it's possible to roll your own Zappi, I quite fancy making this into a lot to sell, but not yet ready!

Reactions: dk6780

·
Registered
519 Posts
Indeed. We looked at PV because we thought we ought to have them, but the FiT made it economically viable to spend 5 figures. We certainly wouldn't have been able to justify that sort of spend without the FiT. And that was the reason for the FiT after all - drive up demand to drive down costs

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I have a 4 yr old dumb Rolec. This had crap RCBO, since replaced with good quality Garo, cost appx £25. Rolec is v modular, easy to DIY mend and alter. I've replaced the ECU (brains module) with Viridian Mainline ECU £85 which supports variable rate charging. Today I got my son's Arduino code to build, found a bug in it which had stalled me. So his server on a Raspberry Pi gathers import/export data from small Esp8266 NodeMcu in the gge with current sensor at CU. Another NodeMcu sits in lounge feeding from Pi, and displays continuous import/export on small display, so I know when to tweak electric heater. Next item is I'll code another NodeMcu to read same data, and control the Mainpine.

So it's possible to roll your own Zappi, I quite fancy making this into a lot to sell, but not yet ready!
Brilliant post, keep us updated.

·
Registered
199 Posts

That was all gobledegook to me.😁

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Indeed. We looked at PV because we thought we ought to have them, but the FiT made it economically viable to spend 5 figures. We certainly wouldn't have been able to justify that sort of spend without the FiT. And that was the reason for the FiT after all - drive up demand to drive down costs
Just a point... a decent sized solar PV system now is nowhere near 5 figures as it was 10 years ago. You should be able to get even a 4kWp system for under £6 and if you can't fit 4kWp of panels on your roof then a smaller system, but one that is still very much worth having, is a lot less. This drop in price is why the FiT was tapered out... as prices dropped.

Now, the only income is from the Solar Export Guarantee (SEG) which is around 5p/kWh so it isn't quite the 48p/kWh of the early FiT but it can still contribute towards what you import... or in my case pay for it outright in the summer :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts