Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi does anyone know of a home charging point where the power cable can go directly into the rear of the charging point rather than up into the bottom of the unit?

My installation will have a cable coming through a drill hole in a wall and i ideally would like this cable to go directly into the rear of the charging unit rather than into a junction box then another cable going into the charging unit?

In other words I would like the the cable to go into the unit on same side that it attaches to the wall.

This is an example of what i would like to stay clear of. I think this is just unnecessary.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
My Pod Point unit did that... the power cable enters through a hole in the back. The cable you can see coming out of the bottom is the cable to the car which I don't wrap around the unit unless I am going away.

Attachments

·
Registered
625 Posts
My Rolec cable enters directly into the back aswell.
Ditto - I use Rolec and am just getting a 2nd one fitted - modular, upgradeable and nice and east to whip the comms module out after 3 years :)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I bought the holster from Pod Point, the only place I could find any such item. It was a ridiculous price...I seem to remember about £35 plus p and p. But it does the job superbly and as the OLEV charger was only £95 I swallowed hard and paid them!

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,493 Posts
I just tried to send a request through their 'Contact Us ' form but it will not send, reports back that I need to enter a valid email address which I had. Looks like it will be a standard email next.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
A British Gas engineer arrived at our house yesterday with a view to fitting a charging point. I thought it would be a trivially easy job as our garage, at the bottom of the garden, already has a 25 amp spur feeding it, for the fluorescent lighting and a double 3-pin socket.

Wrong! The BG charging point must be on an absolutely dedicated spur, so if we has the point installed in there we would lose the lighting and power, unless another spur were installed. That would require about 30 metres of cable and someone to dig a trench and, since that would be costly, we are going for Plan B. This is for a charging point at the front of the house, where we have off-road parking. The advantage of this is that we would have a second charging option at home. The drawback is that we live on a busy corner and there are no physical barriers to stop prying passers-by from messing about with it. I am therefore minded to enclose the charge point in a wall-mounted meter box.

What size of box does the panel think I should be looking for?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Glad you have a way to proceed. :)

This is something worth pointing out, not just if people are having a dedicated charging station installed, but if you are going to be using a 13A circuit for charging. It really should be on its own circuit back to the consumer unit with its own RCB. Even on a 13A circuit the car will be drawing 10A continuously for hours and hours so you wouldn't want to share it with other loads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts