Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Can anyone help with a solution on how to prove that you have charged your car at home?
If I charge my car at home I want to be able to claim the expense but need a mechanism to prove the charging has been carried out for audit purposes.
Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi,
Can anyone help with a solution on how to prove that you have charged your car at home?
If I charge my car at home I want to be able to claim the expense but need a mechanism to prove the charging has been carried out for audit purposes.
Thanks
What car do you have? My car is trackable and I use the car app to keep a log of the charge history. This is how I can provide an audit of where it was charged. Also my pod point charger also log my home charge or whenever I use a public pod point charger.

·
Registered
2018 40 Leaf Tekna
442 Posts
I take a picture of the kWh readout of my charger every time the charging cycle completes, (time, dated and GPS located) I’m self employed so the only time you actually need to justify a figure if if you get audited.

Not sure how it would work if your employed though, would it not be better to claim a mileage allowance of 28p per mile if your using your own car?

If it’s not yours I’d be tempted to nip it to the local polar rapid for 20 mins a day, after all It gives you a nice readout online and who gives a c**p about the SOH of a leased cars battery in 3 years.

I’d definitely file that one in the “not my problem” pile 👍

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
441 Posts
It will be interesting to see how this works at our company when the time comes. I haven't driven a yard on company business since March so we have not had to submit expenses since then. But in the days of using my ICE they wanted fuel receipts to support my mileage claims. I am not sure they even have a policy / requirement when it comes to EVs.

One thing for sure, if their policy, when they have one, is to pay a lower rate per mile if you drive an EV, they will be advertising for a new consultant at my earliest opportunity.

·
Registered
602 Posts
It will be interesting to see how this works at our company when the time comes. I haven't driven a yard on company business since March so we have not had to submit expenses since then. But in the days of using my ICE they wanted fuel receipts to support my mileage claims. I am not sure they even have a policy / requirement when it comes to EVs.

One thing for sure, if their policy, when they have one, is to pay a lower rate per mile if you drive an EV, they will be advertising for a new consultant at my earliest opportunity.
It will be...Inland Revenue approved rate is 4p/mile. My employer has just dropped the rate for electric from 7p to 4p/mile on this basis. Irritating that I used to make a (very small) profit per mile from my old diesel car, but it now costs me to travel on company business.

·
Registered
668 Posts
It will be...Inland Revenue approved rate is 4p/mile. My employer has just dropped the rate for electric from 7p to 4p/mile on this basis. Irritating that I used to make a (very small) profit per mile from my old diesel car, but it now costs me to travel on company business.
you can claim 45p if it’s a private vehicle

·
Registered
2018 40 Leaf Tekna
442 Posts
So the message from the inland revenue is..... buy a diesel!

Yet another example of them really needing to get a grip!

If the government want to flood the roads with EV’s as they claim then they need to let every company driver make 10p per mile for the next 5 years.

Now that would be an insensitive, meanwhile Range Rover are selling plug in hybrids that can do circa 12 miles on a charge that nobody even bothers to plug in purely because of the BIK saving and lower tax.

Is it just me that thinks this sums up why we’re all screwed? 🤣

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
There's a Rolec for sale on ebay with an electric meter built in.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
441 Posts
I presume that is when it's a company car when your only cost is the fuel?

The IR rates for private vehicles are 45p per mile for 10k, dropping to 25p. My company pay 25p per mile through the year.

Like I said, after shafting us in several ways over the last couple of years, if they try to save money off the back of my decision to go EV, whilst at the same time promoting their green credentials, that would be the final straw for me and they will be looking for a replacement consultant as soon as I could engineer a move. No doubt they would still charge the full rate per mile in the expenses line of the invoice to the customer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My suggestion to the OP would be to ask your employer / finance or audit department what an acceptable evidence of expense would be with regard to this.

I am surprised though that you cant claim it as mileage rather than on cost of charging as the mileage rates set by HMRC are supposed to allow for wear and tear on the vehicle as well - such as tyres etc. (even though it doesnt take into account Full EVs at moment).

·
Registered
372 Posts
I am surprised though that you cant claim it as mileage rather than on cost of charging as the mileage rates set by HMRC are supposed to allow for wear and tear on the vehicle as well - such as tyres etc. (even though it doesnt take into account Full EVs at moment).
Some companies will let you claim mileage on a pence per mile basis but still require fuel receipts to demonstrate purchases of fuel.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Some companies will let you claim mileage on a pence per mile basis but still require fuel receipts to demonstrate purchases of fuel.
True - I suggest the OP speaks to his employer then on what is acceptable evidence as a procedure should really be in place for this to ensure that a standard approach is there to enable those who authorise the expenses to do so.

As for what the evidence could be then even if the OP took a picture of the charging information when it is finished, it may not prove this was done at home but could have been at a free charge point at the local superstore.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I presume that is when it's a company car when your only cost is the fuel?

The IR rates for private vehicles are 45p per mile for 10k, dropping to 25p. My company pay 25p per mile through the year.

Like I said, after shafting us in several ways over the last couple of years, if they try to save money off the back of my decision to go EV, whilst at the same time promoting their green credentials, that would be the final straw for me and they will be looking for a replacement consultant as soon as I could engineer a move. No doubt they would still charge the full rate per mile in the expenses line of the invoice to the customer.
Yes exactly so - the 4p/mile is for a company car. The subtlety though is that, although it is a company car, I have elected to pay a very significant trade-up contribution per month to allow me to get into an EV...to then be effectively charged to drive it on company business as well is a little wearing.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
441 Posts
True - I suggest the OP speaks to his employer then on what is acceptable evidence as a procedure should really be in place for this to ensure that a standard approach is there to enable those who authorise the expenses to do so.

As for what the evidence could be then even if the OP took a picture of the charging information when it is finished, it may not prove this was done at home but could have been at a free charge point at the local superstore.
The evidence to support payment of expenses is the mileage you have done visiting clients. The receipt evidence of purchase of fuel is to support the company's reclaim of the VAT.

So, with public charging, I presume there is justification for providing evidence to an employer of charging costs because I presume they could reclaim the VAT in the same way. But with evidencing home charging, no idea how that would work.

·
Registered
602 Posts
but you are saving a significant amount thanks to 0% BIK? Is it a wash when you take that into account?
No still a cost up - although I get a much nicer car and the satisfaction of driving electric. So I'm perfectly happy. Would be nice to have another lever to persuade my colleagues though...think I've already converted half a dozen!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts