Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of the "good" home chargepoints have the capability of charging two EVs at once? Now that we're an ID.4+Zoe family, it might be nice to do that. I'm not sure how it would work logistically, since we generally park one car in the garage (currently whichever one needs charging that night - using a 3-pin socket) and the other car sits on the drive... Although, with a proper 7.6 kW chargepoint, we probably wouldn't ever need to charge both cars at once, but it would be nice to know our options!

·
Registered
VW eGolf
408 Posts
They exist but none of the dual ones qualify for the OLEV/OZEV home charge grant, so tend to be aimed at workplace or commercial destination charging.

Zappi, Tesla and doubtless others let you pair up two separate units for load sharing. Although unless you have two high mileage drivers (getting home low and needing to be full for the morning) you can probably get by with just one.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,566 Posts
I’d go for two Zappi units that will allow load balancing, prioritisation of charge and time of use control.

You can get the first one done under the OLEV grant and then add the second one.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They exist but none of the dual ones qualify for the OLEV/OZEV home charge grant, so tend to be aimed at workplace or commercial destination charging.

Zappi, Tesla and doubtless others let you pair up two separate units for load sharing. Although unless you have two high mileage drivers (getting home low and needing to be full for the morning) you can probably get by with just one.
That's a good point. I mean, we've been getting by for 7-8 months now only using a 3-pin, so I'm sure one proper chargepoint would be more than sufficient. Any particular ones you would recommend I look into/avoid?

Related note, has anyone had one installed, moved house, and had an electrician move it from the old house to the new? Is that a thing? Is it expensive?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,566 Posts
Related note, has anyone had one installed, moved house, and had an electrician move it from the old house to the new? Is that a thing? Is it expensive?
Yep, it can be. Especially if you need to pay to decommission the old point and make safe and then bring the connection for the new place up to scratch.

I paid €400 for an electrician to run a cable and install the charger I already owned.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, it can be. Especially if you need to pay to decommission the old point and make safe and then bring the connection for the new place up to scratch.

I paid €400 for an electrician to run a cable and install the charger I already owned.
Hmm... 400 wouldn't be terrible, if that is all it costs to move it to a new place. We can technically qualify for two grants (I think) since we have two EVs, so the original plan was to have it installed outdoors with Landlord permission to leave it when we leave and then get a new one with a new OLEV grant at the new house. But if it would actually be cheaper to get one installed indoors, then have it uninstalled when we move out and installed in a new house, that isn't terrible.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yes. And no. You can only have the amount your incoming fuse is rated for. And I’ve not seen one rated at more than 100A on a single phase supply. More may be possible, but I’ve never come across one.

Of that 100A you can take up to 32A for the 7.4kW charger. If you add a second charger on the same 100A main fuse, you will have two chargers running at 3.6kW, which is better than nothing, but not a great advance on the 2.4kW most granny chargers give you.

I was faced with exactly this scenario at home (also my office) and I paid a little over £2000 to have the electricity supply upgraded to 3-phase and I then had a dual Type2 Pod-Point 3-phase pedestal charger installed (£1299+VAT after all applicable grants were applied), so each car charges at 11kW. If we had a car that could charge at 22kW then in theory if we only plugged in one car it would charge at the full 22kW rate.

You can see this in action on the Pod-Points installed at Tesco’s stores where one car plugged in gets about 6.5-7kW but when a second car is plugged in to the other side of the charger, both cars drop to 3.6kW charging rate.

If you can get a main fuse bigger than 100A on a single phase then this doesn’t apply, obviously.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,566 Posts
Yes. And no. You can only have the amount your incoming fuse is rated for. And I’ve not seen one rated at more than 100A on a single phase supply. More may be possible, but I’ve never come across one.

Of that 100A you can take up to 32A for the 7.4kW charger. If you add a second charger on the same 100A main fuse, you will have two chargers running at 3.6kW, which is better than nothing, but not a great advance on the 2.4kW most granny chargers give you.

I was faced with exactly this scenario at home (also my office) and I paid a little over £2000 to have the electricity supply upgraded to 3-phase and I then had a dual Type2 Pod-Point 3-phase pedestal charger installed (£1299+VAT after all applicable grants were applied), so each car charges at 11kW. If we had a car that could charge at 22kW then in theory if we only plugged in one car it would charge at the full 22kW rate.

You can see this in action on the Pod-Points installed at Tesco’s stores where one car plugged in gets about 6.5-7kW but when a second car is plugged in to the other side of the charger, both cars drop to 3.6kW charging rate.

If you can get a main fuse bigger than 100A on a single phase then this doesn’t apply, obviously.
Or you can get two chargers that load balance and won't draw more than say 32 Amps combined.

As we suggested above.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But what if the OP has a family emergency and has to drive to Edinburgh at a moments notice, towing a caravan? ;)
If only I had a car capable of towing a decent-sized caravan... I was hoping the ID.4 could, but it is limited to 1,000 kg. Can't find a 4-berth under a tonne. :-(

·
Registered
352 Posts
No, I said you would end up with two chargers running at 3.6kW because that's what they do. I've seen it. The software on almost all smart chargers will only allow the charger to use as much current as the supply will allow. Two Pod-points will drop to 3.6kW, two Rolecs will drop to 3.6kW. I've not seen a pair of chargers that don't do this. You definitely don't need a Zappi to do it.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,566 Posts
No, I said you would end up with two chargers running at 3.6kW because that's what they do. I've seen it. The software on almost all smart chargers will only allow the charger to use as much current as the supply will allow. Two Pod-points will drop to 3.6kW, two Rolecs will drop to 3.6kW. I've not seen a pair of chargers that don't do this. You definitely don't need a Zappi to do it.
OK, I'll explain it simply.

With the Zappi you can assign priority between chargers. So you can have one car charge first, if that's the one you need for work.

You could also have one on a TOU charge, and the other charging during the day from excess solar.

So very different to a Rolec or Pod Point install.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,975 Posts

What else do you have running on electric in your house, the heating?

I have a 100amp fuse and two 32amp charge points that both charge at the same time.
That's only 64amps so there's still 36amps left for the rest of the house.

The Zappi monitors the overall load of the house and will reduce the current going to the cars to keep within the limit of the fuse.

You could have installed a zappi and not upgraded to a 3 phase supply.

·
Registered
961 Posts

I have a 100amp fuse and two 32amp charge points that both charge at the same time.

The Zappi monitors the overall load of the house and will reduce the current going to the cars to keep within the limit of the fuse.

Indeed. If I plugged in every appliance I own and turned them all on at once alongside oven, shower, car chargepoint etc my fuse would blow. It doesn't because I don't...and that's what all electricity supply calcs rely on everywhere - it's called diversity.

Where diversity can't be applied - for fixed loads like car charging - then a different approach is taken. I could install two, three or four charge points and that would be allowed as long as they load balance. To say you can only ever have 32A allocated to car charging is nonsense.

Reactions: Woodulike

·
Registered
352 Posts

Well, no. You obviously missed the bit about my home also being our office. So we have a lot more light running permanently that the Health & Safety people say we have to have for a minimum illumination level. We have about 4kW of servers and anything up to 8 PCs running at any time. And that lot has a split air conditioning system to cool it which uses a fair bit of power. And then there's the Everhot 150 in the kitchen. So we really couldn't have had another 32A charger on the same circuit. And a single phase would never have given us 2 x 11kW charging. And if you get the commercial Pod-Point you get a whole suite of software with it to very finely control access and charging. So your Zappi, however wonderful it might be in your home, it wouldn't have worked out for us.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts