Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after a huge amount of research, investigation and a lot of support and help from this forum we have placed a deposit on a used 67 plate Golf GTE Advance, so firstly thank you to you all.

My next question is which home charging unit do you recommend? I’m in Norfolk so if anyone has used any installers up this way I’d be grateful for any advice. The problem I have is that we want to install the unit in the garage, but it is not connected to the house and is about 14-16 meters away and I know the unit needs to be wired into the main fuse box, so I’m not sure if there are other options to enable an installation in the garage?

I’ve read about PodPoint, Zappi and Rolec, but wondered what people would recommend? I’d like to get a 7kw unit, that has smart functionality, but not sure what the costs will be for this type of unit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do you have electric in the garage? I just use the granny charger (3 pin plug ) it's only 3.5 hours to fully charge on that.
Fantastic car by the way, I've exactly the same 67 Advance and loving it.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
I’ve read about PodPoint, Zappi and Rolec, but wondered what people would recommend? I’d like to get a 7kw unit, that has smart functionality, but not sure what the costs will be for this type of unit.
I have a 7kW ProjectEV charger. They claim it is smart. It is actually quite stupid. Works fine as a basic plug-and-charge socket, but trying to do anything fancier seems to just cause problems. If you want smart, don't get a ProjectEV.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have electric in the garage? I just use the granny charger (3 pin plug ) it's only 3.5 hours to fully charge on that.
Fantastic car by the way, I've exactly the same 67 Advance and loving it.
Yes we have electric in the garage. I’m going to have to work out what each of the driving modes do and which are best for me, but am really looking forward to getting it, it’s Atlantic blue which was my favourite choice, so am pleased.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Be a bit careful with using the granny charger - running them at maximum charge current can damage them, and also put a lot of load on your garage electrics. This may be fine with your garage wiring, but in my experience the quality of garage wiring can be very hit and miss.

If you set the car charging current down to 6A this will help to reduce the risk.

In terms of home chargers (EVSEs) the Zappi charger is smart and works well, but if you don't have solar or a house battery the smartness will have little benefit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also have been using my granny charger (via a smart plug) for the last 2 years with no problems. The wiring is quite a short run and on it's own ring back to its own MCB on the consumer unit.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Granny charger should be fine at 10A, just make sure your electrics are in good condition, look out for overheating and damaged sockets for instance.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Whilst there's grants available look make use.

If you want something clever and that looks great
Andersen EV

1 - 10 of 10 Posts