Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, situation is - I own a house with a front garden (which has concrete covered with shale), along with a path/pavement (block paved)., immediately in front of path is my 2 dedicated car parking spaces. My personal land encompasses the garden and pavement and the block paved bays - but not the private road. Privately owned pavement in front, road is a private road owned by all 15 houses in a collective, this is not a public road, and not council adopted, and signposted at top is a no public access sign. There are 0.5 m soil planters between each houses set of bays (so I have them both sides). However, I have also previously parked a third car on the front garden many many times (Its usual for our street to do this, hence most of us replacing grass with concrete) - as many of us have > 2 cars. Obviously my land includes the path to the front door, and front garden next door.

1/ I can legally park on my front garden area (I do have to remove the pots to allow this!). So this would make me eligable for the home charger grant OLEV as far as I can see
2/ However I prefer to park on the 2 block paved spaces that I own (are part of my deeds/property) in front of house usually other side of the pavement.
3/ The road is a private road, not council maintained, and I am end of row (ie, only reason to use my path is to visit my house).

I was thinking I should apply for a podpoint on front of house in front of garden (as this should be eligable as "off street" - and run a cable under a cable protection arrangement over the path (needing a 10m cable roughly) if I should ever choose to park on the hard stadning and not garden.

However my alternate is to put a freestanding charger next to the 2 spaces where car parks (by digging under the path / relaying). (block paved) - given it's block paved it's likely a ton easier to dig under!. I gather this would not be OLEV eligable, and not idea on rough costs (likely £1000-1500 min I guess). So a choice between likely £200 and £1000 - I prefer the £200. But the £1000 option would allow both spaces to be used potentially for charging if we ever get a 2nd EV...

Am I over complicating this - and should I just go for the socket on front of house with 10m-15m cable? I doubt I need the cable protection given the lack of "public" status on the road - but it's probably a good idea so I'll be doing it regardless to be "considerate) given we'll only ever run cable midnight to 7am. All the homeowners on street own a collective public liability policy in case someone falls over or trips on our "private" road, but it's not a personal risk on the private land.

Thoughts people!

·
Registered
961 Posts
I would jump through the Olev hoops for an untethered 32a to have some flexibility thereafter.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Sounds like you are after the ohme charger.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
OLEV doesn't say anywhere that the off street parking needs to adjacent to the house.
I can't see why you shouldn't be allowed to run a cable in a trench from your supply to your parking places and install a station there.
True it will be more expensive becasue
1 - the charger will be a 7kw stand alone station
2 - you will be running a long buried cable

But I can't see why OLEV would refuse it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts