Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF N-Connecta 40kWh; Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
330 Posts
I read that as a "minimum technical requirement", so a socketed version exceeds that spec and is acceptable.

Reactions: Paul

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Yes you probably did read that right. Other regulations specify that all sockets in a domestic buildings must be shuttered. Since no units offer shuttered sockets, tethered units (ie plugs) are the only option for indoors.
Until they change the regulations to allow shuttered or signal-switched sockets, this will probably remain the case.

Section 1.1 outlines this is for
charging equipment for use in a domestic application.
So does not apply to equipment in multi story car parks, workshops etc..

Did you also catch clause 5.7, that specifies that standard 13A sockets are not to be used for car charging...

·
BMW i3 Rex
216 Posts
Of course the car end of a tethered cable is unshuttered too - but it's a 'plug'. Actually more dangerous without a cover than the socket, but there we are.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Of course the car end of a tethered cable is unshuttered too - but it's a 'plug'. Actually more dangerous without a cover than the socket, but there we are.
Technically it's still a female connector, as the pins are in the socket.. I think the intention of the CoP was for supply to be only from shuttered female connectors. Car chargers have sort of broken that with the same connectors on either end. but should be excluded as they are signal-switched and cannot expose live mains (unless a relay sticks - This actually happened to my charger after a corrosion fault at the car socket, relay became welded like the car socket! If I did not have a tethered unit and were to remove the cable the charger socket pins would still have been live).

·
http://ts.la/david3488
642 Posts
Not really as the plug isn't actually live until it is connected to the car.
Although neither is the socket

1 - 8 of 8 Posts