Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new here, can anyone please advise.
We have a pod point home charger and a Vauxhall Corsa E. We have set the scheduled charge on the pod point but it doesnt always work, now and then wake up and it hasnt charged. Like wise used the schedule in the car, set the time to start at the same time as the pod point schedule and it still doesnt always work. We need it charged daily as my wife does a fair amount of miles. Its just worrying that we cant always rely on it charging as it is supposed to start at 0030.
Any suggestions would be great, thanks in anticipation.
Regards Les

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,749 Posts
I am not sure about your specific problem, but from basic automation: don't run the two schedules at the same time.

PS: If charging is more important, why don't you just plug and charge rather than time it? I will have to assume that you have a cheaper tariff, but then which one is more important to you: the charged car or the savings?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, i was wondering if the 2 might clash. The EV tariff is a third of the price for 4 hours a night, so it is quite a saving and is one of the reasons we went to an EV. Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,749 Posts
Thanks, i was wondering if the 2 might clash. The EV tariff is a third of the price for 4 hours a night, so it is quite a saving and is one of the reasons we went to an EV. Thanks for the reply
Apply the KISS principle. I would disable any timers in the PodPoint including any other limitations, such as tariff considerations. Then set everything up in the car and test it live, while you are there. Good luck!

·
Banned
78 Posts
Hi, new here, can anyone please advise.
We have a pod point home charger and a Vauxhall Corsa E. We have set the scheduled charge on the pod point but it doesnt always work, now and then wake up and it hasnt charged. Like wise used the schedule in the car, set the time to start at the same time as the pod point schedule and it still doesnt always work. We need it charged daily as my wife does a fair amount of miles. Its just worrying that we cant always rely on it charging as it is supposed to start at 0030.
Any suggestions would be great, thanks in anticipation.
Regards Les
I would set the pod point just to dumb charge as soon as requested by the car mode. At a guess you are on Octopus go? We are too, and we have 2 x Rolec dumb 32kw chargers and 2 x EV's. We always us the cars own timers rather than manual, plug in after arriving home, and the cars just start charging 00.30 while we sleep and stop when full.

I cant remember since 2017 that last time a home charge failed, apart from when one Rolec RCD B unit started failing and was replaced FOC.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
1,001 Posts
I also have a Corsa-e and a PodPoint. The first problem you've highlighted is that you've used both the car start schedule and the PodPoint timed schedule. Don't use both. Choose one or the other.

If you just want to start your charge when your tariff is cheap but aren't bothered when it will finish charging or that you'll likely fully charge within the cheap tariff period then just use the car timed start of the charge. However, you will need to make sure that you have no scheduled charge time set for any day in the PodPoint schedule. You will know when you have no PodPoint schedule charge set when the light in the PodPoint flashes blue/magenta. If your PodPoint light is pale green, there is a scheduled charge somewhere in the app/system.

Another problem is that if the PodPoint loses the WiFi connection, it dumps the schedule. If your PodPoint charger has a white light then there is no WiFi connection.

Yet another problem with the PodPoint schedule charge is if you wish to charge as usual then you can deactivate the scheduled charge for that day and the unit will work as normal 'plug-in-and-play' as it can't see any schedules set for that day so will fall back to the default.

For the schedule to work seamlessly and charge within the scheduled hours, you need a schedule set up for each day even if you don't plan on plugging in and charging on that day, as the unit searches for schedules only within that specific day.

For example, if there aren't any schedules set for Monday and the unit only searches for schedules set on that day, if you plugged in it would charge up until midnight, where it would have checked for schedules on Tuesday, seen that there is one and paused until you've asked it to start charging. To get around this they recommend setting a schedule for something like 11.00-11.30am on the days before you wish to use the scheduled charge if you don't intend on having the schedules on every day as this will prevent the unit from instantly charging your car the evening before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts