Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Conflicted Ecoworrier/Petrolhead
3,214 Posts
If that's the one I've seen previously and can take AC22 into CCS or Chademo - the box is €16,000. It would be cheaper to buy a Zoe if you want to use the AC22 ;-)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
How is this stuff going to work when V2H/V2G becomes a reality? My limited understanding is that in Japan this is done via CHAdeMO and one of the reasons the connector is so in favour?

·
9,719 Posts
My limited understanding is that in Japan this is done via CHAdeMO and one of the reasons the connector is so in favour?
It was a modification that the CHAdeMO association made after the tsunami, some Japanese govt funding was contingent on being able to provide limited backup power from a vehicle. Its why you find a CHAdeMO port in the back of a Mirai.

The whole setup for V2H is very expensive at the moment for what you get, a little two stroke generator would be more cost effective than getting a unit and attaching it to an Outlander.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How is this stuff going to work when V2H/V2G becomes a reality?
The most advanced thinking in the UK is maybe some signalling from the grid to stop all but essential charging (high price), charge to minimum comfort level (normal price), and fill your batteries (low price). That would create a lovely bit of grid smoothing... I don’t think V2H/G will happen, or even needs to happen. Probably makes more sense to put buffer batteries in the houses with solar/microCHP/wind when they get cheap enough?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I don't understand how it doesn't make sense when you have whopping great battery able to supply high kW sat on your drive? Agreed it also makes sense to have a high discharge smaller battery as found in the Nissan V2H.

·
3,214 Posts
I don't understand how it doesn't make sense when you have whopping great battery able to supply high kW sat on your drive? Agreed it also makes sense to have a high discharge smaller battery as found in the Nissan V2H.
A battery has a set number of cycles before it had to be replaced. The ones in cars are expensive as they need to use the lightest materials and chemistry and are designed to take all sorts of knocks and bumps. Ergo they are not ever going to be as cheap as something designed to sit on a shelf which doesn't need the same level of ruggedness or lightness.

Now house to grid is another ball game. I can see a feed in tariff for battery storage. It may not even be necessary to have a tariff as there's already a market mechanism to pay companies that can offer balancing services.

Theres 3 types of balancing service... short term operating reserve, frequency balancing and fast reserve which have different response rates,minimum levels of generation and periods over which the output needs to be sustained. The clever thing is this can now be done by aggregation of smaller sites either shedding loads or dumping power to the grid. ;)

It's not in residential yet more for commercial sites woth processes that can be turned on and off for a while, eg aluminium smelting, but I think we'll get there over the next 5 years as Smart meters roll out which have circuit switching capability.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I would argue a 24kWh battery in a 2nd hand LEAF is much cheaper than the equivalent capacity in Li-ion home storage. Also if you have an interim battery to trickle charge I think it will hardly 'touch the sides' of a motive spec battery, the main problem I envisage is the implications for the EV battery warranty.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
My point was more geared to the expense of the CHAdeMO "system" as seen in the OPs and subsequent charging point details. If the car connection is not priced for consumers then V2G/H is dead.

·
3,214 Posts
I would argue a 24kWh battery in a 2nd hand LEAF is much cheaper than the equivalent capacity in Li-ion home storage. Also if you have an interim battery to trickle charge I think it will hardly 'touch the sides' of a motive spec battery, the main problem I envisage is the implications for the EV battery warranty.
I'd argue the opposite when you also consider TCO and despatchability. Ie the system being connected when needed for export or import. Not saying is the same for everyone but I'd expect the majority of EVs to be driving home exactly when the grid is peaking. Unless the employers provide export facility (unlikely based on being able to provide even a 13A socket) then moray of the day when it could be doing grid balancing work it will be say in a car park. A home battery storage system will be topping up from PV exporting what it thinks isn't needed for the house and pre charging at night on low rate E7 if if thinks the next days winter output is not going to last the day.

Cost isn't just about what the battery costs to buy, it's the balance of plant minus the savings from using PV / E7 and any feed in.

Which reminds me. Say you have a battery store for your PV. Whats to stop you charging at night and then exporting E7 and claiming the FiT on it?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
What stops you right now is that fit is based on a deemed tariff of 50% of generated power, whether you use it or not (which is why I have a box that dumps all my excess into hot water.. No point in actually feeding it back). Smart meters may change this in the future.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If your really interested in this sort of thing Efacec Electric Mobility | EV QC24s Quick Charger available in CHAdeMO or CCS - I believe list price runs in the order of £6-7k
Hi Jack,

I know this is an old thread but any idea of where you found this price? Only price I can find is $16,000?

Doesn't seem like this charger is actually being installed either.

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts