Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Nissan Leaf Acenta 30kWh
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
I'm new to the forum, I've just bought a used Leaf 30. I've been charging it with the granny cable so far, but I'd like to install a proper charging point before too long. Partly because of safety but mainly because the granny cable is only just long enough so it's a pain parking.
I've done a bit of searching and charging points start at around £500, and that's with the grant. It seems like a lot of money for a pretty simple bit of kit, so I'm tempted to have a go myself. I have experience of designing and building power control systems but I'm not a qualified electrician, so my plan is to build and test the device, then get a sparky in to connect it and check over the existing house installation while they're at it.
Has anyone on here done the same? Any tips?

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
671 Posts
Buy a used one on eBay, or the classified section on here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did think of that, it's a possibility. But it's still quite a bit of money and from browsing on here it seems there are quite a few problems with older ones. If I build my own it's fixable and updateable.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Hi everyone
I'm new to the forum, I've just bought a used Leaf 30. I've been charging it with the granny cable so far, but I'd like to install a proper charging point before too long. Partly because of safety but mainly because the granny cable is only just long enough so it's a pain parking.
I've done a bit of searching and charging points start at around £500, and that's with the grant. It seems like a lot of money for a pretty simple bit of kit, so I'm tempted to have a go myself. I have experience of designing and building power control systems but I'm not a qualified electrician, so my plan is to build and test the device, then get a sparky in to connect it and check over the existing house installation while they're at it.
If you're buying your own then the prices start much lower than £500
For instance the older QUBEV is £225
QUBEV - EV Charging Unit | Type 2 Socket | 32 Amp/7.2 kW | IP65 |
RCBO/consumer units on top of that but that will cost you anyway.
Add in installation and you're probably back that the £500 the base OLEV unit price.
Build your own will probably only save you money if you're a sparkie :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don’t have any experience of it but OpenEVSE looks like it’s made for your type of situation.
You will need to get an electrician because chargers need an independent feed from the consumer unit and installing a new circuit from the consumer unit is notifiable under Part P of the building regs. Penalty for failing to follow building regs is an unlimited fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, definitely want all the wiring done by someone approved just to cover myself.
I have been looking at OpenEVSE, that's where I got the idea from.

·
Registered
10 Posts
A sparky will charge £100 or so to do the testing and certification, really not worth the headache, just source a cheap used unit, theres loads on Ebay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A sparky will charge £100 or so to do the testing and certification, really not worth the headache, just source a cheap used unit, theres loads on Ebay.
I need the sparky anyway, whether it's a new, used or homemade unit.
Maybe I need to look harder, but the used units on ebay were going for over £150. And that's for Rolec's and old Chargemasters, which seem to fail a lot as far as I can tell. I could buy a kit of parts from the link andrew*debbie posted for less than that.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
There's a few 2nd hand Rolec EVSEs on eBay. Nice thing about these is the modules inside clip onto a standard industrial rail, and can be diy swapped out for new (& usually better quality!) parts. The RCBO can be replaced with decent Garo item, cost appx £25. The 32A contactor can be replaced - probably similar cost?. The ECU (brains bit) can be replaced with a Viridian Mainpine ECU, cost about £80. That's the entire complicated-stuff internally - no costly PCB to worry about. So you're not locked into any one supplier for repairs. Greatest risk is possible damage to the contacts in the car-plug section, but even that & the cable are replaceable. I've swapped out the RCBO & ECU on mine, as original Rolec RCBO is cr*p & was starting to warp & fail; swapped the ECU so I could start playing with variable charging rates which Viridian permits.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's a nice idea, buy a used Rolec and upgrade parts as I go.
I can't see one for a sensible price on ebay, but I'll keep looking.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Hi everyone
You could buy a Viridian Protocol controller. You will then need contactor, MCBs etc

·
Super Moderator
11,844 Posts
I had a search through your posts but couldn't find it. Any chance of a link?
So how did it go and was it worth it?
I've been using it since 2014. So I'd say it went well. It cost me about £500 to build. Part of that cost was for a Knipex bootlace ferrule crimper.

I changed it to type 2 when we got the i3. I spent about £200 to change it. £150 for a Type-2 lead from evbitz and about £50 for a new gland plate and strain relief. I had Schnider AG make the gland plate - it was cheaper than buying tools to punch the holes + a buying a blank plate.

Here is a thread from 2014 when I was putting it together. --> Anyone put meters in their DIY EVSE?

Disclaimer -- This should not be used as a guide or how to.

·
Super Moderator
11,844 Posts
This is what it looked like in March 2019 after being outside since August 2014.

One of the cable glands came loose and some water got inside.

I cleaned it up and used a CAD program to make a replacement gland plate. I paid Schaefer AG to make the plate for me. I used new cable glands with strain reliefs.

This is what it looked like when I put it back outside. Still working fine. Welll mostly - The voltmeter reads waayy to high. I suppose I should replace it but it isn't harming anything.

·
Registered
267 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
How about a new OHME cable for £200? You'll need to switch your electricity supplier to Octopus though. However you can then save even more £ by charging using cheap 'leccy overnight on the GO tariff.

Edit: You'll still need a sparky to install a commando socket suitable for EV charging though.

Further edit: Using the referral code below will add £50 credit to your Octopus account, taking the OHME 'real' cost down to £150.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How about a new OHME cable for £200? You'll need to switch your electricity supplier to Octopus though. However you can then save even more £ by charging using cheap 'leccy overnight on the GO tariff.

Edit: You'll still need a sparky to install a commando socket suitable for EV charging though.

Further edit: Using the referral code below will add £50 credit to your Octopus account, taking the OHME 'real' cost down to £150.
That sounds like a good deal, how do I get it? I went to OHME's website and it says £400.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts