Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I’m buying a new build with a garage not quite attached to the house that will have power for double socket, light and door opener

Unfortunately an EV charge box is not an optional extra

If I do need/want a 7kw wall box in the future can any of the existing cabling be used ?

The consumer unit is in the middle of the house so no easy access once built

Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
You would be sensible to take a 10mm twin and earth cable from the house consumer unit to the garage.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi

I’m buying a new build with a garage not quite attached to the house that will have power for double socket, light and door opener

If I do need/want a 7kw wall box in the future can any of the existing cabling be used ?

Thanks
I'm in a four-year-old house with a detached garage. I'm in the process of ordering a home charger at the moment. Of the four installers I contacted, one said the cabling would have to run from the main consumer unit inside the house; the other three said it could run from the meter box (which is halfway down the drive and a lot more convenient). It requires all new cabling, though, and I have to dig a short trench to bypass the garden gate (I'm told they're not allowed to run the cabling over walkways which seems very reasonable).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi

Thanks
Ask the builder what size supply they are putting to the garage ask to upgrade if less than 40 amps

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. What would that mean ? Different cable? Or just something different in the fuse box ? Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks. What would that mean ? Different cable? Or just something different in the fuse box ? Thanks
May need larger cable change mcb In fuseboard should be a no cost option.
If they are planning a 40a circuit for the garage that may be ok
7.2kw ev supply 30amps so if your charging off peak it's unlikely you'll
Be using anything at the same time
If it was me I'd ask for a 10mm cable
And 50a mcb covers everything.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Erm are you going to ignore previous posts? Meter tails come in to your consumer unit. If you take a supply from your house consumer unit to your garage then you need to be able to carry 32 amps. The safest way to over supply that load is a 10mm squared cable from the main consumer unit to your garage. Then you are future proofed. Just ask your electrician to run a ten millimeter square cable to your garage. It is not much more expensive to do. Previous poster has said the same. I specified the same to mine during build despite my electrician asking me why several times and rolling their eyes at me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
May need larger cable change mcb In fuseboard should be a no cost option.
If they are planning a 40a circuit for the garage that may be ok
7.2kw ev supply 30amps so if your charging off peak it's unlikely you'll
Be using anything at the same time
If it was me I'd ask for a 10mm cable
And 50a mcb covers everything.

Just another thought depending on your choice of charger you may need pen fault protection or get a zappi all built in

·
Registered
22 Posts
You basically need to specify that you want to run a 10kW electric shower in your garage! Don't worry about PEN protection, that can be done later!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I specified 10mm^2 for a shower some years ago. The guy still put in 6mm^2. Beware of stupidly mean electricians. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts