Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading the manual of my 3 week old M3 it mentions HomeLink "not in all markets". Would be a nice feature to have if it works properly. Searching the forum it seems it was available on UK models but not any more. Anyone know the story?

thanks

·
Registered
397 Posts
Not sure if it's still the case, but last year when i got my model 3, it was an off menu add on.

You can buy it, and they'll post it to you, and then you book a mobile service van to come and install it for you

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yeah.

There is a service centre down the road from me, so when i was in the area i popped in and asked about it, and they ordered it for me and had it sent to my house.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting - looks like HomeLink is available if you want it. When you say "it was sent to my house" is it just a simple add-on device? Could it be returned if it did not work?

I guess the next question is, how do you know if it will work with your particular gate and garage controls? If it was on the car already, you could just test it. But to buy it then find it does not work would be disappointing.

·
Registered
397 Posts
They send it to your house, but it's a sizable job to install, including a software update to update the screen to show the homelink option, so you still need to book a mobile service for them to actually install it in the car.

As for compatibility, i have bought and installed a Chamberlain garage door opener, and on their website they said it was compatible. Not sure how you would tell with older openers though

·
Registered
397 Posts
Also note, the "auto open" trigger from the car can be a little temperamental, and prefers you driving in forwards, but i always reverse park my car, so i have to do an elaborate arch with the car to trigger the door and then turn the car to reverse, at which point the usual door opener will be better.

All things considered, i wouldn't really get it again. I now mainly just use my door opener's internet connected access, along with an Android app "tasker" to detect when:
1) My phone is connected to my car
2) my car is arriving home
to automatically open/close the door

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had mine added in late 2019, so it may be outdated info: I ordered it via a service request in the phone app and Tesla arranged for a ranger to come to my home and do the install (the ranger brought the module with him to the service call). As mentioned above, it's not really something you could install in the car yourself. As to compatibility, if you have an older garage opener you can also buy a module to attach to the opener (which I ended up doing). I am not very skilled and had no problem installing that: HomeLink PR433

1 - 9 of 9 Posts