Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the next year I am probably in the market for two EVs, so keeping options open to cover the family needs, so deposits with everyone etc.

More information about the Honda e is emerging and I personally think that the car is stunning and offers a really fresh take on electric cars. However, I am I the only one who thinks that they have misread the market with their claimed range/battery? They are claiming a range of 'over' 125 miles, which unless they are being really honest (which from recent meetings with them, they could be), that means it is likely to be in the 100 mile range.

I think that when it is launched, this will mean that is the lowest range (mainstream) electric car on the market (not including Twizzy etc). I realise that they are pitching it as an 'urban EV', but their competition like Peugeot e208, Renault Zoe/Zoe II, Mini etc all will have a vastly more impressive range, all claiming 200 miles+.

It feels that all of the impressive design and tech will be held back by the lowest range. I expect that the Mini will be about the same price and cater to the same audience, with a higher claimed range.

What are your views?

·
Registered
11,679 Posts
Yeah, if they think that range is going to work in 2020, they are mental.

Nice looking car though, if they can pull off the software.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Think I’m with you. Small urban cars are often second cars too so having a relatively high price tag is a bit of a challenge.

·
Premium Member
10,168 Posts
Maybe there is a market for 125 mile range city or 2nd cars? We almost got a 22kWh Zoe as our 2nd car, but 70 miles was slighty too short - 100 real miles would be OK.

So much will depend on price, Zoe price is now ~£20K (battery owned) and new one will be probably ~£22K. If the Honda was £15K then maybe there are some buyers out there?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I think Honda are going to get this totally wrong, they referred to it somewhere as a premium car which makes me think they will ask a premium price.

I have registered my interest online and at my local dealer as I think it looks very good tech and appearance wise, but if its going to cost more than the Peugeot 208e or MG ZS ev which will have much more range …….

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe there is a market for 125 mile range city or 2nd cars? We almost got a 22kWh Zoe as our 2nd car, but 70 miles was slighty too short - 100 real miles would be OK.

So much will depend on price, Zoe price is now ~£20K (battery owned) and new one will be probably ~£22K. If the Honda was £15K then maybe there are some buyers out there?
This is why I think that they have it completely wrong. I would be shocked if this is any less than £25K. You are right, £15K would be about right, but this is positioned as a premium EV. No prices yet, but CarWow suggest £25-£30K, AutoCar suggest £35K.

== hei Hitomi told Autocar that the car is likely to carry a premium price tag.

“A low price is not always a guarantee of success. When you look at Apple products, they are not cheap, but everyone wants to have them because of their added value,” he said. “We believe it is the same for the electric vehicle.” ===

·
Registered
289 Posts
My Honda Insight Gen ! was a worlds first and was priced accordingly, unfortunately the sales of 17,000 worldwide over its long production life was the result of it being to expensive, maybe Honda havent learnt their lessons.
As for me my Mega truck with its LifePo4s might have a range of 90 miles plus, which is more than enough for me

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think Honda are going to get this totally wrong, they referred to it somewhere as a premium car which makes me think they will ask a premium price.

I have registered my interest online and at my local dealer as I think it looks very good tech and appearance wise, but if its going to cost more than the Peugeot 208e or MG ZS ev which will have much more range …….
Yes, I agree with this, the Peugeot will have 210 miles, which could be up to double the Honda and I expect that the new Zoe will be similar. We know that the mini will be about 180 miles. I really like the Honda, but I think that range will be an issue, even the quotes about comparing it to Apple is wrong. Apple products tend to have class leading batteries when they are launched, not half the capacity of cheaper products.

(P.S. I am not an Apple fanboi, but I love the Honda EV, just not the battery :()

·
Registered
2,120 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yes, I agree with this, the Peugeot will have 210 miles, which could be up to double the Honda and I expect that the new Zoe will be similar. We know that the mini will be about 180 miles. I really like the Honda, but I think that range will be an issue, even the quotes about comparing it to Apple is wrong. Apple products tend to have class leading batteries when they are launched, not half the capacity of cheaper products.

(P.S. I am not an Apple fanboi, but I love the Honda EV, just not the battery :()
This is about more about marketing, not the ability of the car. If Honda can make this a desirable object that meets the need of a rich and trendy city dweller, why nobble it with much heavier batteries that would make it less efficient and even more expensive. Don't forget how much batteries weigh, a Zoe is more than 400kg heavier than a similar sized Clio, so why carry around all the extra weight for a journey you might do once a year.

The iphone has never been class leading in the battery stakes.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is about more about marketing, not the ability of the car. If Honda can make this a desirable object that meets the need of a rich and trendy city dweller, why nobble it with much heavier batteries that would make it less efficient and even more expensive. Don't forget how much batteries weigh, a Zoe is more than 400kg heavier than a similar sized Clio, so why carry around all the extra weight for a journey you might do once a year.

The iphone has never been class leading in the battery stakes.
Rats, I knew I would get called on the iPhone point. I should have learned by now not to quote anything that I’m not 100% on .

I’m still not sure that 100ish miles is good enough, but volumes are going to be low. I think it was a few thousand for the UK.

·
Premium Member
10,168 Posts
Apple products tend to have class leading batteries when they are launched, not half the capacity of cheaper products.
When the first iPhone was launched in USA, most people had a Nokia or similar that would last a week on a charge. Many were prepared to charge every night for the "cool" factor of having an iPhone. People are prepared for compromise if they really want something, but will it apply to "trendy" EVs?

·
Premium Member
10,168 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Oh, wow. That's ambitious. Are they kidding?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As I’ve said, I think this is a beautiful car and I really like the ambitious design. However, I don’t really think I can bring myself to putting down another deposit (I will be at 4 or 5 soon), particularly as they have given no information whatsoever about the car apart from the 125 mile range. At least MG, Peugeot and VW have given more info about battery size, expected range and some spec info.

I’m just waiting for the next EV to come out when the manufacturer has decided they don’t need to tell us anything at all so I’m expecting an email along the lines of

“we are thinking about making a car and putting an electric motor and battery in it, would you like to give us £1000 and when we can be bothered, will send you an email telling you when you can join the queue to get one”.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is this a competition between car manufacturers to see who can provide the least amount of information and still get mugs early adopters to place a deposit :D
Yes, I believe manufacturers are running a sweepstake.

·
Registered
780 Posts
“we are thinking about making a car and putting an electric motor and battery in it, would you like to give us £1000 and when we can be bothered, will send you an email telling you when you can join the queue to get one”.
You mean like Tesla?

·
Premium Member
10,168 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
You mean like Tesla?
There's a difference between a technologically-outstanding car which was likely to sell out quickly (although this never came true), and an overpriced 100 mile Honda.

1 - 20 of 255 Posts