Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Oh, wow. That's ambitious. Are they kidding?

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
You mean like Tesla?
There's a difference between a technologically-outstanding car which was likely to sell out quickly (although this never came true), and an overpriced 100 mile Honda.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Your Tesla doesn’t have two of these.... (side mirror screens)
Yeah it does - in fact it has more cameras - it just shows the output to the driver in a much more intelligent, processed way (the CG birds-eye view on the dash), instead of just dumping the video feed on the screen and saying "you work out what this means".

Reactions: Zzb

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
They might even sell some at 25k

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
It's a terrible range for £30k.

Reactions: onlineo

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
How long until dealers have inventory stock of these, do we reckon? I could be tempted by an Advance as long as I didn’t have to wait for a factory order (as I’d probably get bored and cancel)

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I'm told there'll be inventory from next month, which is encouraging. Will have to go try one.

Reactions: E7EV

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Sorry for the double post, but has anyone managed to make the sums work in terms of TCO for these things?

My Tesla Model 3 on Evezy: £600/month total

Honda E base model on 37mo PCP:
£1900 deposit split over term (£52/mo)
£360/month finance
£600 insurance per year - 30yo inside M25 with 5yr NCD (£50/mo)
£20/month gap insurance roughly
£600 service plan split over term (£16/mo)
= ~£500/month total

The Advance basically adds £50/month to the finance so £550/month total.

So a £50-£100 month saving compared to a Tesla, tied in for 3 years, for what is a very nice but ultimately inferior product.

Even with a higher deposit you still have to pay the piper and take that into account, so the total cost is roughly the same give or take a tenner/month.

So... Anyone made this work?

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
The half price service plan is £600 isn’t it?

Good point about the gap actually, I split that £220~ cost over one year but it should be over 3. Still it doesn’t look a whole lot better if you take £10 a month off!

The finance is as like for like as you’ll get - if anything Evezy is better as it’s flexible.

Car insurance cost itself is high because of postcode (sort of but not really London, and right next to the M25 where lots of people crash into each other). But most of these cars will live in a similar area, if not even “worse” for insurance.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
It’s certainly looking that way. The Tesla PCP doesn’t come close to Evezy, and I’m still too opposed to putting cash into a depreciating asset (despite what Musk claims) to buy one outright.

I reckon it’ll only go once the Y is here, which should be around the same time as we get proper nav on AP and it’ll be worth getting an FSD model.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Adjusting the gap insurance and servicing costs... Brings the TCO down to £480 and £530/month then 😉

What happened to the good old days of inflated GFVs leading to 0 deposit 0% finance on new EVs for £200/ month?? 😂

@ John you’d pay that for an equivalent BMW/Merc/Audi anyway, the Tesla is quite good value

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Shows what a good deal the Evezy £600 Model 3s are. Like E7EV said, the Honda makes sense compared to Tesla PCP or Evezy’s current rates. But for some... it makes little sense as shown above :)

I wish the Honda was significantly cheaper as I really like it!

Also that illustrates that even at £800, Evezy is a good deal for Tesla.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Aye, my assumptions were based on returning the car. Personally I find it difficult to keep a car for 3 years (3 months has been challenging recently) let alone beyond that! 😂

@Joolsdc your maths are based on a cash purchase, correct? The thought of exchanging actual cash for a depreciating asset makes me cry.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Yeah but one way I spend £10k over 36 months and the other I spend £30k in one hit then hope I get some back when I flog it 😂

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
PCP - buy it at the end - sell instantly would certainly reduce the overall cost if you subtract the profit from the money spent... and lowers the initial hit as well.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
The Leaf’s GFV was inflated, like most cars around that time. Since HMRC’s clampdown, they tend to be very conservative (£20k for a Model 3 after 3 years etc). This is partly the reason why PCP deals have sucked for the last few years.

Unless manufacturers cut the retail price hugely in the form of “deposit contributions” (for example my 840i was listed at £73k with an actual invoiced price of £46k after a “contribution”!), nobody is getting a bargain.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
That’s a good point @Rei - I’ve seen that inventory Leaf 40s are finally being sold for a more realistic price of £23k ish. They were a joke at £35k - perhaps people will actually buy them now.

Re the Honda’s displays - great hardware, but the UI is so outdated in places...

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I build UIs for a living (after a period designing them) and the Honda one is full of inconsistencies. Stuff in different places, different sizes depending what’s open etc.

For example the sat nav UI doesn’t follow the same style as the rest of the OS - because it was designed separately to the E’s bespoke systems and then plugged in.

I think a lot of the blame elsewhere lies with the wallpapers - with the black background it all seems to tie together, but the wallpapers make it look a bit of a mess.

There’s also a huge disconnect in design language between the driving display and the infotainment section, which blows a hole in the “one big integrated display” illusion.

Weirdly enough, I’ve seen videos of it in Japanese and it seems more natural in its original language...

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
What was the realistic range of this thing, then? I’d quite like at least 100 miles in winter at 70mph for the occasional driving I actually do...

Reactions: George Jetson
1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.