Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
The small battery in this thing is driving me nuts. I'm hoping that it is at least as efficient as a 30kWh Leaf, I mean it can't be much worse than that at motorway speed with newer motors etc, can it? The one long trip I have I used to do in a 30kWh Leaf, but it wasn't much fun.

What I mean is that it's hard to justify the expense when I could get a used 30 or 40kWh Leaf for less. I have a horrible feeling it will end up being well over £30k.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
The web site says 125 miles range, which is presumably WLTP. Seems very low for a car with a 35kWh battery.

Given that the MG is already available with more range than that for about £22k, it seems like their price range of £25-35k is a little high. Okay it's a Honda and does have some nice tech, but given that in the range department it will be competing with used 30kWh Leafs going for £12-13k or 40kWh ones going for £18-20k...

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Yeah, I'm sure Honda are being cautiously pessimistic with their range, it would have to be pretty inefficient to only get 125 miles, maybe closer to that or less in winter?
Say it's 32kWh usable, it's 3.9mi/kWh, which seems low for WLTP. I suppose that's only slightly worse than a new shape Leaf.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
WLTP range is 135 which is about 4mi/kWh.

Since the motor is in the back it's not clear what is in the front.

The tech is nice but it needs to be cheap with that range. Figure 90 miles in winter with some safety margin.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Am I understanding this right? £2,500 for heated seats/steering wheel and self parking but otherwise identical?

I wonder why parking is always so expensive. I'd like it but for that much money I'll park it myself thanks.

At least the paint is reasonable, 500 quid for white. The free colour is yellow.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Is it me or have they removed the autopilot function? It doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere now.

It says it is CCS2, so hopefully will charge nice and fast. They do claim 30 minutes so with tapering that's what, 70-80kW minimum on a 35kWh battery?

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Also 5.9% is quite the interest rate...
You can get a bank loan for around £25k at 3.3% if you have decent credit. One other advantage of that is that you won't have to worry about the usual PCP mileage and end-of-lease inspection hassle.

Can anyone else log in to the Honda site? It always gives me an error. Tried Chrome and Firefox.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
No autopilot then... Very disappointing because it's so useful in stop/start traffic, as well as long journeys.

Edit: I was wrong. It has autopilot. It's hidden on the spec page. Select the model and then open the "safety" bit, and it has Lane Follow Assist. Chat guy confirmed it keeps you in lane etc.

"Low speed following" is for traffic jams.

Chat guy claims that it can read speed signs and display the current limit.

It has an HDMI socket, which lets you display stuff on the screens! I know Japanese cars have TVs in them but if you don't want to get nicked better not use that while driving.

Also has Android Auto.

I was a bit concerned about the range, but after Bjorn's recent range test in the Leaf 62 vs the Ioniq I think this will be fine.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I contacted the local dealer today as instructed by Honda. They got the details yesterday too and are still digesting it all. Delivery expected at the end of Q2 2020.

They said I was in the first batch so should get my car around then. Pre-orders will be taken via the Honda web site all this year, then in the new year it will be generally available from dealers.

There doesn't seem to be a huge rush, if you get your pre-order in (£800, refundable) your place in the build queue is secured.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
In the email I got yesterday it only mentioned February as a date when the PiCG amount will be confirmed.
On the plus side the government is unlikely to be able to reduce the PICG by February as it stands.

They are saying summer 2020 for delivery but that may be hedging their bets a bit. They seem to be a bit more cautious and conservative than certain other manufacturers cough*Kia/Hyundai/Tesla*cough were with their pre-orders.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I still can’t find confirmation of max charge. Quoted in places at 50 or 100.
Their glossary here says both 30 minutes and 20 miuntes: https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/new/coming-soon/honda-e/glossary.html

So maybe Honda don't know either!

They don't say if that is 0-80% or 20-80% either. If it's 30 minutes then the average charge rate would be around 50kW, if it's 20 minutes then it would be around 80kW.

I'm hoping that it's at least as fast as the old Ioniq. Bjorn did 1000km in 12 hours in one, which is only 30 minutes longer than it took the Mercedes EQC. The Ioniq sustains about 65kW up to 75%.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.