Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
11,027 Posts
Personally, this car would work for me both in Paris and in the French village where I live. Typically, I'm making short 20- to 50-mile trips, which the E could handle easily. The only tricky part would be getting it between the city and the countryside, a distance of about 95 miles -- outside the EV's range on the highway.
We are still getting similar comments about LEAF 30's five years on and this seems to have no answer other than a Rapid charge.

How about those side cameras? They did give me a better and clearer view than mirrors and also reduced my blind spots. Unlike a regular mirror, though, there's a camera, electronics and a screen that can malfunction, leaving you with a blank screen. By contrast, if the electric mirrors in your car break or fail, you can normally still use them.

The regular rearview mirror also uses a rear-mounted camera but is backed up by a physical mirror -- which was fortunate because during my drive, the camera got plugged with rain and all I could see was a blur. Without the option to switch to a physical mirror, I would have been blind to any cars directly behind me.
All car cameras that I have used to date seem to attract road dirt and rapidly become obscured. Is there any inbuilt cleaning?

Edited to add in link to original articles

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
11,027 Posts
I've added in the link to the original articles manually - I'm still not sure how you do this as standard! :unsure:

I agree about slowing down to increase range - it is a different frame of mind, but hard for journos with their free lunches to get their mind around. The cameras needing cleaning are an interesting one - someone will come up with a built in solution but for the moment I carry a packet of wet wipes which isn't an environmentally sound solution.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
11,027 Posts
The centre rear view camera could be installed in the swept area of the rear window. I like the idea of one's butler, but following Brexit I can't get young East Europeans and the old locals struggle to keep up such that I'm having to claim to be slowing down for hypermiling. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
11,027 Posts
The UK dealerships are currently closed, and whether they will be open by June is open to debate. My money is that they will reopen in June so you may be lucky.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
11,027 Posts
It's very disappointing. Honda are in a bad situation with this, their launch has been hit by COVID and it seems like they have lots of cancellations already. Not a great time to be launching a luxury car.
Who cares? Honda have signaled their commitment to the UK so we shouldn't worry about them :devilish: , and if it means that you can get a better deal then great. (y) Of course if you are committed to buying one at a fixed price then now is the time to reject it on the basis of the specification changes.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
11,027 Posts
Round trip efficiency of 75% - not too shabby on behalf of both cars, but beware trying to charge a Zoe as the efficiency would be much lower. :rolleyes: But overall very slow with a 1.3kW limit.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
11,027 Posts
I don’t think you could charge a Zoe as it would demand the full 10 Amps and trip the fuse.
But would it charge if the portable EVSE was limited to 6A as some proprietary ones can be?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
11,027 Posts
Agreed, and with lots of innovative features. Honda should be applauded for not just electrifying an existing ICE SUV.
I'd be interested in a 300 mile race between a Honda-e and an E-Tron in Wales. My money's on the Honda-e despite the range and charging "issues".

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
11,027 Posts
What I disingenuously failed to mention was that my route would be on typical Welsh lanes and using low speed charging. The E-Tron would be significantly slower with more backing up required, more energy used due to its weight penalty, and without the benefit of its faster charging. :devilish:

I tested one of my very very occasional 250 mile routes.

Honda e 6:10, charging time 1:16
eTron 50 4:56, charging time 0:36
I am surprised that the estimated driving time for the Honda-e is for 5:54 and the E-Tron 4:20. I appreciate that there's an allowance for each stop but the difference is excessive. :mad:

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
11,027 Posts
Sorry if it has been discussed already, I am just wondering whether the cancelled orders were the result of Nyland's reviews of poor range or was it to do with the pandemic?
No one knows for sure, but you can guess which way Honda will spin it.
A third factor could have been the long wait after the initial hype meaning both that people have time to cool of whilst exciting new features become less exciting in reality, and giving time for exciting new products from other manufacturers to come along and divert attention.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
11,027 Posts
Whatever the benefits of the current version of the e the value of the current version is likely to fall substantially as improvements are made to future versions and other competitors come onto the market. This is reflected in the lease costs where people are unwilling to guarantee a high final value.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.