Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

321 - 340 of 374 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
The TopGear review seemed very balanced - they seems to "get" EVs more now. It is definitely a brand and car I like, but the reviews confirm the range and boot size just wouldn't work for us unfortunately. As below, 100 miles seems realistic - probably less in winter. I am sure there are plenty of people it will work for and they will sell - as will new Mini.

Quote from review

"So admirably that we managed to drain 80 per cent of the battery in around 100km. In a little over an hour. But that’s an extreme case – we do the risky range-sapping hooning so you don’t have to – our gentler morning stint suggests a real-world range of 100 miles is easily achievable, more if your prepare to switch-off the air-con".

·
Registered
44 Posts
I see the Honda UK configurator web pages are now showing pictures of the leather seats:

I suppose the brown seatbelts go quite well with the brown seats.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Thanks. They don't look as nice as the fabric to me.

I'm hoping there is a manual soon.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My contact for the Honda e was Ian Whitwham, Sales Executive at Yeomans Honda, Churt near Farnham. I have just found out that he passed away last week aged 54 years.

I purchased a number of cars from Ian, starting about 35 years ago when he worked for John Butts Honda at Drayton, near Portsmouth. Top Salesman but more than that a Top Guy. R.I.P. Ian

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I emailed a Honda e dealer about when it will be in UK showrooms to see and was told from May 2020

·
Registered
1,673 Posts

He says wireless apple Car Play so hoping for wireless Android Auto too.

It looks very well thought out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone else looked at the accessories on offer? From the Honda site:

• Illumination Pack
    Part number: 08E0P-TYF-ILLU
    Fitted price: £515.00
    This pack uses a combination of lights to give an ambient atmosphere to the inside of your Honda e. Includes: Illuminated Doorstep Garnishes and the Console Illumination.

• U.R.B.A.N. Pack Black & Blue
    Part number: 08E0P-TYF-UR03L
    Fitted price: £850.00
    This pack adds a classy accent to your Honda e. The mouldings around the car with the blue accents offer extra protection and are a reference to the Urban EV Concept. Includes: Doorstep Garnishes, Bumper Mouldings & Side Body Trims.

• U.R.B.A.N. Pack Black
    Part number: 08E0P-TYF-UR04L
    Fitted price: £850.00
    This pack adds a classy accent to your Honda e. The mouldings around the car offer extra protection and are a reference to the Urban EV Concept. Includes: Doorstep Garnishes, Bumper Mouldings and Side Body Trims.
  • E7701 17" Alloy Wheel Set
    Part number: 08W17-TYF-KTBLA
    Fitted price: £945.00
    The 17" alloy wheels set E7701 has wheels that feature gunpowder black windows and a diamond cut A-surface. This set contains 2 wheels for the front axis and 2 wheels for the rear axis. (Only available on Advance 17" grade).

• E7702 17" Alloy Wheel Set
    Part number: 08W17-TYF-KTBLU
    Fitted price: £1,025.00
    The 17" alloy wheels set E7702 has wheels that feature gunpowder black windows and a diamond cut A-surface and a blue rim. This set contains 2 wheels for the front axis and 2 wheels for the rear axis. (Only available on Advance 17" grade).
  • Leather Upholstery - Midnight Black
    Part number: 08Z01-TYF-510
    Fitted price: £1,395.00
    Midnight Black - What could be better than a bespoke leather interior? This premium upholstery – a combination of nappa leather and grey fabric – covers the front seats and the 4 door armrests. In the rear area, the headrest is fitted with nappa leather. This genuine upholstery comes with Honda’s inbuilt production quality, durability and premium finishing.

• Leather Upholstery - Dark Brown
    Part number: 08Z01-TYF-520
    Fitted price: £1,395.00
    Dark Brown - What could be better than a bespoke leather interior? This premium upholstery – a combination of nappa leather and grey fabric – covers the front seats and the 4 door armrests. In the rear area, the headrest is fitted with nappa leather. This genuine upholstery comes with Honda’s inbuilt production quality, durability and premium finishing.
No pictures unfortunately. The cloth seats look really nice and my Mum has found them to be very durable and looking good after nearly 10 years.
There are pictures on the German site but being my first post I am not allowed to write a link.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Wow, when you go to honda.de the first thing you see is the e. They are really pushing it!

The pictures are tiny though, is there a way to make them bigger?

Edit: oh I see, you tick the boxes. But the illuminations can't be viewed, and the bronze interior looks hideous!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Honda Germany lets you see all the accessories now.

Most of them make the car look worse! The lighting package is a bit of a disappointment too, it's just entrance guards and the centre console. I was expecting footwell and and some mood lighting for 500 quid!

·
Registered
BMW i3 60ah BEV / BMW i3 60ah REx (Sold)
81 Posts
So I had an i3 and I loved it plus it was the perfect size for my charging patch. Charge port right next to my front door. Got tempted by a Model 3 which is far too much for my needs. So after Jonnies review I've decided if I don't stick with Tesla this has enough tech for my inner nerd and much better suited as mentioned. I did fine with the 60ah (18.8kwh) i3 pack. Doubling that would be plenty.
I watched Jonny's review this morning, I'm now in exactly the same boat funnily enough.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Can someone explain the maths behind why a smaller wheel gets longer range? I would have thought a longer diameter would give your further distance ?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Can someone explain the maths behind why a smaller wheel gets longer range? I would have thought a longer diameter would give your further distance ?
The overall diameter is the same, it's the metal hub that is 16 or 17 inches. With a 17" wheel the wall of the tyre, the rubber part, is smaller so that the hub can be larger.

So that means that the tyre wall needs to be stiffer and it needs to be wider. That in turn means more friction and lower range/MPG, and a harsher ride with more noise. But it looks cool if you are into that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My understanding was that it’s mostly down to rolling resistance. The 16” wheels are 185 wide I think and the 17” 205. The more contact with the road, the more power is required to rotate it, hence the skinny tyres on the i3!

·
Registered
111 Posts
My understanding was that it’s mostly down to rolling resistance. The 16” wheels are 185 wide I think and the 17” 205. The more contact with the road, the more power is required to rotate it, hence the skinny tyres on the i3!
Unsprung mass.

The weight of 16" wheel is significantly lower than say a 18".

What's interesting is that because of large cast volume of an alloy wheel, typically they are much heavier than presses steel wheels.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Unsprung mass.

The weight of 16" wheel is significantly lower than say a 18".

What's interesting is that because of large cast volume of an alloy wheel, typically they are much heavier than presses steel wheels.
Ah yes, society's interest in things that are 'blingy' ie alloy wheels, forcing us to suffer reduced range in our electric cars....

I think my i3 would look quite good with silver 'steelies' ?

321 - 340 of 374 Posts