Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

341 - 360 of 387 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
The overall diameter is the same, it's the metal hub that is 16 or 17 inches. With a 17" wheel the wall of the tyre, the rubber part, is smaller so that the hub can be larger.

So that means that the tyre wall needs to be stiffer and it needs to be wider. That in turn means more friction and lower range/MPG, and a harsher ride with more noise. But it looks cool if you are into that.
Got it. Makes more sense now. Just need to decide style over range now.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Got it. Makes more sense now. Just need to decide style over range now.
The 17" ones do look nice, don't they... If they just had the same highlights on the spokes of the 16" ones I'd get them. Will be interesting to see what the demo cars have.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Unsprung mass.

The weight of 16" wheel is significantly lower than say a 18".

What's interesting is that because of large cast volume of an alloy wheel, typically they are much heavier than presses steel wheels.
This always confuse me
A lighter wheel in theory should require less energy to initiate and motion but retain less momentum.
I am quite curious what is the idea weight, less weight will result in more efficiency for it to start running but since it carry less momentum does it mean it would require more energy to retain the same speed as heavier wheel once it’s rolling?
Ironically, I am a physical scientist (never study much about motion though)

·
Registered
113 Posts
This always confuse me
A lighter wheel in theory should require less energy to initiate and motion but retain less momentum.
I am quite curious what is the idea weight, less weight will result in more efficiency for it to start running but since it carry less momentum does it mean it would require more energy to retain the same speed as heavier wheel once it’s rolling?
Ironically, I am a physical scientist (never study much about motion though)
I assume a car spends much of its time accelerating, and maintaining speed, so therefore, the heavier those wheels are, the more energy that is going to take to move.

The momentum factor is probably second to these first two factors.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am quite curious what is the ideal weight, less weight will result in more efficiency for it to start running but since it carry less momentum does it mean it would require more energy to retain the same speed as heavier wheel once it’s rolling?
Consider just driving at a constant speed on a bumpy road. When you drive over a bump it takes energy to move a wheel up over the bump, and that will reduce the car's kinetic energy. A car with heavier wheels will require more energy to lift up the wheel and therefore will slow the car down more than a similar car with lighter wheels, hence it will require more power from the car to maintain speed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My local Honda dealer has just sent me an e-mail to say, "the estimated dates of launch have changed a little bit and the first cars we’re expecting including demonstrators/display orders and also the first of the customer orders including your vehicle are currently showing an estimated deliver of mid June." So not new news, although I thought as I didn't order a car until 12th December that my car may not get delivered that early. Maybe the dealer is wrong, but I hope not! :D

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I spoke to a Honda dealer at the Wakefield West Yorkshire branch
He also mentioned June and staff would be going on a training course in march / May 2020

·
Registered
53 Posts
It looks like electric cars just became £500 more expensive (unless the manufacturers absorb the cost). :( The following is copied from a TalkTalk news article yesterday:

Grants for new electric cars have been cut in Chancellor Rishi Sunak’s Budget.

The maximum grant for motorists who make the switch to an electric car will be reduced by £500 to £3,000 from Thursday.

The Department for Transport said in a statement: “As the uptake of zero-emission cars increases, a small reduction to the grant, as well as excluding cars costing £50,000 or more, will allow more drivers to benefit from making the switch for longer.”

The plug-in car grant has been in place since 2011 to support the uptake of ultra-low emission vehicles.

It was originally set at £5,000 for all eligible ultra-low emission cars, but in 2018 it was cut to £3,500 and hybrids were excluded.

Mr Sunak also announced that the Government will invest £500 million over the next five years to support the roll-out of new rapid charging hubs for electric cars, so drivers are never more than 30 miles away from a rapid charging station.

Figures published by the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders shows 38,000 pure electric new cars were bought in 2019, more than double the total in the previous year.

These cars now hold a 1.6% share of the new car market.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Spoke to my dealer. Apparently they were told about the change to the grant on Wednesday but couldn't apply for it because the government has not put the Honda e on the list yet. So all Honda e's just went up £500 and everyone has to pay it.

But I'm not sure that's really fair, surely it's Honda's fault for not registering the car for the scheme in time.

Anyway he said delivery in July and it sounds like they are going to just say "take it or leave it".

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Surprised at Honda, Renault and MG are making up the £500 that the PICG is taking off.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
The difference is that Honda have a launch car with a bunch of keen early adaptors, MG and Renault don't.
Hmm, the MG is a fairly recent new model launch and the Zoe is a much improved release, both are selling very well.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I have just been talking to Honda. They told me that an application had been made for the Honda e to get PICG but couldn't tell me when it was made or if it was granted. They are going to look in to it and get back to me.

If it was added to the list for PICG then the dealer is on the hook, if it wasn't then either Honda should have submitted it earlier or the government took too long processing it.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Dealer says that there won't be demonstrators until July when customer vehicles arrive. Basically you can try the demonstrator out and then immediately take yours if you decide you want it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have just been talking to Honda. They told me that an application had been made for the Honda e to get PICG but couldn't tell me when it was made or if it was granted. They are going to look in to it and get back to me.
When I ordered a Honda e back in December, the printed specififcation sheets that the salesman gave me included the following paragraph at the end:

"Prices for the Honda e include the Government Plug-in Car Grant discount, worth £3,500 at the current level. The value of the Grant is subject to formal approval by the Office for Low Emission Vehicles (OLEV), which we anticipate will be received in January 2020. OLEV reserve the right to alter or withdraw the Plug In Car Grant at any time. Any changes in the Plug In Car Grant will be reflected in the overall Honda e price."

That seems to imply that Honda had applied for PICG registration last year, although it's not totally clear that was the case. It is clear though that changes to the grant will be reflected in the price of the car. That seems reasonable to me - it's the government's scheme, not Honda's.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
The documentation I have doesn't say that. I'll double check but I couldn't find it.

I really just want to know if it was Honda or the dealer who screwed up at this point.

By the way some info on the Honda charger. It will be available by itself out with some kind of discount if you switch to their energy supplier. Will be hard to beat octopus but let's see.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I had another look. All I have are two order forms. One has the deposit I paid and the old price, one has the new price and no deposit. Both mention terms overleaf but there is no overleaf (PDF file).

In any case it's bad if the dealer didn't do it or if Honda didn't do it in time.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Just had an email back from Honda saying that since I ordered before the change I will get the full £3,500!

I will forward to the dealer to see what he says.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just had an email back from Honda saying that since I ordered before the change I will get the full £3,500!

I will forward to the dealer to see what he says.
Could you point me to who you contacted at Honda so I can get the same message.

341 - 360 of 387 Posts