Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

461 - 480 of 589 Posts

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
How do you know about all these "cancelled orders", or is that simply supposition?
People without existing orders are reporting that they are being offered cars from the first batch so either they are cancellations or Honda ordered more than they had pre-orders for to the UK.

·
Registered
Get £50 off Evezy! Referral code e8615
1,727 Posts
Also, find me one car manufacturer that doesn’t have a load of cancellations. Even Evezy has cancellations and they’re basically rental. Heck, I’m one of the many customers who cancelled a BMW recently - I doubt small city hatchbacks are an exception.

I know for a fact my local Honda outlet is expecting to have inventory come late July.

·
Premium Member
10,964 Posts
What I learnt from his videos, that I didn’t know before, is that the charging curve is pants and the boot, as well being small, has a less than ideal shape and a fuse box in the floor.
I guess if you are actively looking to buy it is worth wasting spending time watching amateur videos on YouTube for the odd nudget. Helps him fund his next Tesla too ;)

In the brochure Honda claim to charge from "battery warning" to 80% in 31 minutes. The battery is widely reported to be 35.5kWh with 32kWh usable - to car stopping, not zero on display. If battery warning is 20% (of useable) that would be 60% added, so an average of almost 40kW - which isn't bad for that battery size. Hopefully they can make good on that.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,214 Posts
Now I’m wondering what’s more of a waste of time....watching videos that you find interesting, or commenting about videos that you don’t find interesting.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Also, find me one car manufacturer that doesn’t have a load of cancellations. Even Evezy has cancellations and they’re basically rental. Heck, I’m one of the many customers who cancelled a BMW recently - I doubt small city hatchbacks are an exception.

I know for a fact my local Honda outlet is expecting to have inventory come late July.
I know, I'm not saying it's just the Honda e. But Honda are trying to launch their first EV and it's just really bad luck that all this has happened now, really not the best time to be launching a luxury small car. I expect the Mini Electric will have the same problem.

I was hoping Honda would do some offers for people who pre-ordered a year ago so I could justify going through with the purchase. If they did scrappage or something it would be worth getting rid of my old car but at the moment it's very hard to justify.

·
Premium Member
10,964 Posts
Now I’m wondering what’s more of a waste of time....watching videos that you find interesting, or commenting about videos that you don’t find interesting.
We each have our own way to waste time :) I can't easily watch videos during weekday, but having a window open to make comments here is viable at present, might not be (again) soon.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I guess if you are actively looking to buy it is worth wasting spending time watching amateur videos on YouTube for the odd nudget. Helps him fund his next Tesla too ;)

In the brochure Honda claim to charge from "battery warning" to 80% in 31 minutes. The battery is widely reported to be 35.5kWh with 32kWh usable - to car stopping, not zero on display. If battery warning is 20% (of useable) that would be 60% added, so an average of almost 40kW - which isn't bad for that battery size. Hopefully they can make good on that.
Bjorn is one of the best sources of information out there. He has driven every EV going, his tests are well done and he knows his stuff. I find his videos really informative, more than professional journalists reviewing cars he seems to get to know them and bit and gives you the information you really need. How many journalists bothered to even test range and rapid charging speed when they reviewed the car earlier this year?

Honda are claiming 31 minutes and 32kWh usable but manufacturer claims are usually shall we say optimistic. Maybe you can get more out of the battery but the in-car display is showing 28kWh as the 0% point so if there is any reserve it will probably be turtle mode. 31 minutes seems to just be flat out wrong, it doesn't charge that fast even on high power chargers.

·
Premium Member
10,964 Posts
Bjorn is one of the best sources of information out there. He has driven every EV going, his tests are well done and he knows his stuff. I find his videos really informative, more than professional journalists reviewing cars he seems to get to know them and bit and gives you the information you really need. How many journalists bothered to even test range and rapid charging speed when they reviewed the car earlier this year?
Maybe, I watched a couple and didn't like them so I am not going to just watch them for "fun". As I said, if I was actually considering buying a specific car, I would watch relevant videos even if 90% of it was padding to get their YouTube revenue up. Prior to buying Zoe I watched some far worse ones.

Honda are claiming 31 minutes and 32kWh usable but manufacturer claims are usually shall we say optimistic. Maybe you can get more out of the battery but the in-car display is showing 28kWh as the 0% point so if there is any reserve it will probably be turtle mode. 31 minutes seems to just be flat out wrong, it doesn't charge that fast even on high power chargers.
Being optimistic and making false claims are two very different things. If the charging speed is substantially slower than in brochure it would be grounds to reject car and get money back.

Do we actually know how many kWh it takes to charge it from "battery warning" to 80%?

·
Premium Member
10,964 Posts
I know, I'm not saying it's just the Honda e. But Honda are trying to launch their first EV and it's just really bad luck that all this has happened now, really not the best time to be launching a luxury small car. I expect the Mini Electric will have the same problem.
There is view that it is a good time as people are now more aware of pollution, etc. People who are safe in their jobs and with means to do so, might actually be more likely to buy. There are reports on it, examples below. I am not sure if any videos :p;)

I suspect the manufacturers will play a waiting game and if demand isn't there we will see some PCP deals or similar. They probably won't just offer big cash discounts as that doesn't help residuals, brand image, etc.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Being optimistic and making false claims are two very different things. If the charging speed is substantially slower than in brochure it would be grounds to reject car and get money back.
Hmm, ask Nissan about that. They were careful to say "up to 50kW" charging but I don't know if anyone was able to return their cars because of #rapidgate.

·
Premium Member
10,964 Posts
Hmm, ask Nissan about that. They were careful to say "up to 50kW" charging but I don't know if anyone was able to return their cars because of #rapidgate.
Yes, that was a tougher one as it did charge well if battery was cold. If someone had bought having told salesperson they planned to use for long journeys, they would be able to return as "not fit for purpose".

ASA did ban them from using the advert though, so some progress. Maybe Honda didn't get the memo?

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Hmm, very noisy. It was supposed to have a really nice, refined ride and it's very heavy but it seems like skimped on the noise dampening!

·
Registered
15,539 Posts
You've got to really want to own a Honda to buy one of these.

Maybe some decent second hand deals will be available after a couple of years?

·
Registered
Get £50 off Evezy! Referral code e8615
1,727 Posts
£20k in a year or so, maybe worth looking at.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
That is really poor, slower than the old Leaf 30. I don't know what they were thinking releasing that in 2020. It's supposed to have battery cooling, why would it be so slow?

It's very strange. They seem to have done a good job on other parts of the, Bjorn likes the tech and the EV features. Why is the charging so slow? Why is it only 28kWh usable?

·
Registered
66 Posts
It's very strange. They seem to have done a good job on other parts of the, Bjorn likes the tech and the EV features. Why is the charging so slow? Why is it only 28kWh usable?
Well Honda have always said that it's a city (or town) car, so most targeted owner's will probably not need to rapid charge anyway. I've owned Nissan LEAFs for nearly 4 years (a 40kWh model for the last 2.25 years) and I've never rapid charged them, not even once. So it doesn't bother me, and probably it will not bother a lot of other people too.

The ~28kWh usable battery pack capacity explains why the range is lower than we would expect from a 35.5kWh battery pack, but Honda have always quoted the range as being 125 - 136 miles, and that too is fine for me. The most I've driven in a day in the last 4 years has been about 90 miles, and that's only been on two occasions (giving someone a lift to an airport and picking them up). So the range is not a sudden surprise, just like the small boot capacity is not a surprise, and I'm still looking forward to a test drive and then probably buying one.

The ~28kWh usable capacity might also explain why Honda say in the Owner's Manual that they recommend always charging to 100% before each trip. Having a larger buffer at the top end may make charging to '100%' okay for the battery longevity, and perhaps was designed that way to allow for frequent battery heating (by leaving the car plugged in to a charge point) in colder weather.

The only comment from Bjorn that surprised me was that it was noisier than a lot of other EVs that he's tested, so that's one thing I'll deinitely be taking notice of when I finally get to test drive one.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Where I live there are a few destinations (like the airport) that are on the edge or a little beyond the e's range. Destination charging is a good option but a backup rapid is very handy to have.

I suppose it's not that bad, it ends up being another 20 minutes do coffee time instead of just a quick pit stop but if you could charge at 80+kW like the originally promised it would make journeys of any distance easy.

For me a big thing is that it's 2020 and while I loved by Leafs for this kind of money I should be getting more now.

461 - 480 of 589 Posts