Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

141 - 160 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Pleasantly surprised by the base price and spec, I was expecting up in the high 20s.

Looking forward to picking up a lightly used one in a few years time!
If I'm throwing down a 6k deposit I'm keeping it!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
A more in depth view.

Reminds me a lot of the original Leaf, and some other really well designed Japanese cars. Very well thought out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Is it me or have they removed the autopilot function? It doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere now.

It says it is CCS2, so hopefully will charge nice and fast. They do claim 30 minutes so with tapering that's what, 70-80kW minimum on a 35kWh battery?
I still can’t find confirmation of max charge. Quoted in places at 50 or 100.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I still can’t find confirmation of max charge. Quoted in places at 50 or 100.
Their glossary here says both 30 minutes and 20 miuntes: https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/new/coming-soon/honda-e/glossary.html

So maybe Honda don't know either!

They don't say if that is 0-80% or 20-80% either. If it's 30 minutes then the average charge rate would be around 50kW, if it's 20 minutes then it would be around 80kW.

I'm hoping that it's at least as fast as the old Ioniq. Bjorn did 1000km in 12 hours in one, which is only 30 minutes longer than it took the Mercedes EQC. The Ioniq sustains about 65kW up to 75%.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I tried asking Honda and they claimed 0-80% in 30 minutes, which seems unlikely. We will have to wait.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for that. Shame they won’t mention it. Thought they’d talk about it rather then the 0-80.
A small battery is fine if can do a quick charge for 120 miles on the rare occasion needed.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Thanks for that. Shame they won’t mention it. Thought they’d talk about it rather then the 0-80.
A small battery is fine if can do a quick charge for 120 miles on the rare occasion needed.
When Bjorn tested the old Ioniq on a 1000km trip he did it in a little over 12 hours. The Mercedes EQC, with a massive battery and fast charging, took 11:30. In some ways the Ioniq was a nicer trip, with more breaks for the driver. I think as long as the infrastructure is decent having a small battery is fine and doesn't even cost you much time, especially if you stop regularly anyway.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Video of voice control being used
That seems as good as Google Assistant, very impressive. I wonder if they are using some kind of online service to process the speech or if it happens all in the car. Since it comes with telematics and an app they must have some internet service in the car. Hopefully live maps too.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I wish that VW would hurry up and give me the bad news on pricing for the ID. 3 so that I can comfortably put my order in for this. It's so great that Honda have even announced figures for financing.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I had a look at the Honda E at the Frankfurt Motor Show. The dash design is very futuristic and something of a shock at first glance. The downside for me is build quality. In order to meet an affordable price point the car feels built down to a price with doors that clang shut and very thin body panels. Production cars might be better.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
People said it was quiet during test drives a while back, but they were not going that fast.

Real wood on the dash and a nice soft interior. Cameras instead of mirrors. Frameless windows. Can't be built down to a price or they would have ditched that stuff.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I tapped the top of the dash at the show, very hollow. The wood on top of the dash from a distance looks fine but up close has no density. The doors shut with a tinny clang and the body panels were thin. Lots of shiny plastic on the front and rear panels, likely to mark easily. These were pre production cars at the show so possibly series production cars might be better. Having said all this I still loved the car, the dash is certainly very futuristic and appears better designed than the more expensive VW ID. I also liked the the lime green colour. The space inside the car was reasonable for a city car although the boot looked a tad too small for a large family. All in all a great first attempt by Honda,if they can maintain a circa £26k price point then I think it will sell but for me the battery pack size is possibly too small. Hope that helps all those thinking about placing an order.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I tapped the top of the dash at the show, very hollow. The wood on top of the dash from a distance looks fine but up close has no density. The doors shut with a tinny clang and the body panels were thin. Lots of shiny plastic on the front and rear panels, likely to mark easily
Did you get in the right car???

Looking at the videos and photos there isn't any shiny plastic at all apart from the touch screens, it's all either wood, fabric or textured plastic. Of course they will use light wood, no point adding weight.

The doors actually look very thick in the Autogefühl video and make a nice solid sound when closed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
Can't be built down to a price or they would have ditched that stuff.
There can be very few cars that aren’t built to a price.

However, if Honda have had to find money to have wood veneer, frameless windows and soft touch plastics on the important bits, then why is it a stretch to think they might have used less sound proofing, thinner steel for the vehicle skin and hard touch plastics everywhere else?

Honda are a great engineering led manufacturer, but they aren’t magicians.

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
Did you get in the right car???

Looking at the videos and photos there isn't any shiny plastic at all apart from the touch screens, it's all either wood, fabric or textured plastic. Of course they will use light wood, no point adding weight.

The doors actually look very thick in the Autogefühl video and make a nice solid sound when closed.

View attachment 123113
You can’t judge a cars NVH from show videos and pictures.

I mean, a galvanised dustbin is wider than those doors are thick, but it will still be tinny sounding.

I’m sure Honda will get the main bits right though.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The front and rear body panels between the front and rear lights had shiny plastic, the edges of the black roof also had shiny black plastic. The “wood” felt like a thin veneer with no density. The doors felt lightweight and shut with a tinny clang. I then tapped all the outer panels and they seemed very lightweight. The cars at the show that I sat in were pre production so are not strictly representative. The car’s build felt much akin to a Honda Jazz for better or worse. Lightness is fine, gives you a greater, but as someone has rightly pointed out all these gadgets come at a cost and a manufacturer will choose to ameliorate this by building vehicles to a tight budget. The VW ID that I also sat in at the show also showed evidence of cost cutting, mainly with the interior trim.

141 - 160 of 255 Posts