Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Awaiting Tesla M3—tired of ancient Nissan software
343 Posts
Anyway still feel Nissan should ditch the Visia and make the Acenta 24kWh and the Tekna 30 kWh and rethink trim and options. So much simplier.
According to a dealer I spoke with, the Irish XE (UK Visia) trim, which do not have a "computer console" appeal to older generations of buyers, who do not feel comfortable operating anything computer-related. This is a significant portion of their sales. At one point 61% of Leaf sales in Japan went to older customer, 50 and over, while the 60 year old and older buyers made a whopping 35% of Leaf purchases, according to this report. The chances are this segment has remained a large one.

Although I am in neither of those age brackets, I believe I should be thankful to them for the softer ride that Leaf offers compared to the other BEVs I have tried.

I would also respectfully suggest that only Nissan, and maybe their dealers, are in a good position to know which trim levels to keep or ditch.

·
Leaf lover
4,006 Posts
According to a dealer I spoke with, the Irish XE (UK Visia) trim, which do not have a "computer console" appeal to older generations of buyers, who do not feel comfortable operating anything computer-related. This is a significant portion of their sales. At one point 61% of Leaf sales in Japan went to older customer, 50 and over, while the 60 year old and older buyers made a whopping 35% of Leaf purchases, according to this report. The chances are this segment has remained a large one.

Although I am in neither of those age brackets, I believe I should be thankful to them for the softer ride that Leaf offers compared to the other BEVs I have tried.

I would also respectfully suggest that only Nissan, and maybe their dealers, are in a good position to know which trim levels to keep or ditch.
As it happens I am in both the 50 and over and the 60 and older brackets.
And as for Nissan knowing best, I am not so sure as maybe you are.
The original Leaf basically all you had to decide on was the colour. Then the smart people at Nissan felt that was to easy so having boasted 100 improvements for the 2013 they would mix it up a bit. Not all the improvements would be present on all models. In fact the base model would be the Lesser Leaf, no rapid charging and satnaff. And following the popular demand for battery leasing, we will give them that as well.
Need I go on???

·
Registered
282 Posts
I would agree with Richard if the equipment in the higher models was free. As it stands though, given that you have the option not to buy it I am with Rafal. I like the fact there is a bare bones option which will enable a few more people will be able to enjoy Leaf ownership whilst people like me can have their toys. In fact i would like to see a fourth option which would be leather free and no privacy glass !

·
Registered
891 Posts
It kind of indicates that Nissan does not have a very flexible production line?
Or is that rather that they don't have a very flexible ordering process?
Maybe both ;)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yes, I agree. They must presumably build say 75% of the cars in variants/colours they know will sell and then the balance fine tuned in line with the orders coming in from the dealers. The German/VAG model of 'building' your car from a no frills base with every enhancement an extra must mean they build to order. I don't know the lead times from this system compared to Nissan but I guess significantly longer.

·
Leaf lover
4,006 Posts
Naturally when I was having a coffee and charge in Romford and the 2013 model had just arrived in their showroom, an Acenta, I had a good look.
Now I had some weeks earlier seen a Tekna in the back lot and liked the leather.
Anyway I liked the black interior in both but open the hatch and there is the bigger boot in the showroom model.
Now I don’t care for the sound unit and nor the 17” alloys of the Tekna and had the trade in for my gen1 Leaf been attractive I might have given a new Acenta more thought.
Then as time goes by and I find the marketing somewhat puzzling I find that you can nolonger spec the Acenta with heated seats and steering wheel.
As I keep saying there is only one Leaf in that it is a one motor option, 5 door, 5 seater family hatchback.
From the marketing point of view, there is the Lesser Leaf, the Acenta and Tekna.
The 30kWh battery allows you to make more use of the power available should you desire but now that there are the two battery capacities there is at least a clear choice between two models.
So to me there is clearly the opportunity allow people to say which of the two they feel meets their requirements and spec up that to match their desires.
What really is wrong with that?
I can not see why it should not suit both Nissan and their customers equally.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys,

Against my better judgement, I simple cannot ignore the financial incentive.

Be honest with me, what sort of real world range will I get from a 30 KWH Leaf?

I do a 65 mile a day commute each way from Bristol to Grove, Oxfordshire.

20 miles is B & A roads, 45 is cruising at 60mph on the motorway.

My plan would be drive to work (65 miles) then leave work in the evening, top at Membury services (15miles from work) then drive home.

Is this a realistic proposition a year round? Please be honest as if it is I'm quite likely to buy one.
Yes, I have a 30Kwh Techna and even in the Winter it will do 100 miles easily. If you can park at your work address it may be worth asking if they could fit a charger. There are still incentives I believe and then you wouldn't need to waste time at the service station. Also sometimes the chargers are in use or even broken, though Ecotricity are bad the DeChadaemo connection s usually work.

·
Registered
118 Posts
With respect, I once got less than 50 miles (100% charge down to 3 miles into the very low battery warning) from my 1 year old 30 kWh Accenta. You may have to drive in a very restrained manner when it is very cold, windy and wet. The journey I refer to was mostly motorway. But never, ever, would the Leaf "easily" do 100 miles in winter.

·
Registered
438 Posts
With respect, I once got less than 50 miles (100% charge down to 3 miles into the very low battery warning) from my 1 year old 30 kWh Accenta. You may have to drive in a very restrained manner when it is very cold, windy and wet. The journey I refer to was mostly motorway. But never, ever, would the Leaf "easily" do 100 miles in winter.
To get less than 50 miles is by far the worst I have ever seen or heard of. You must have been driving fast, accelerating hard and really blasting the heater at 30°C to get it that low. That, or your battery is especially unhealthy. Bad tyre pressures perhaps? Without a doubt something wasn't right with your car!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Just to add to a really old thread that the OP I imagine has no need for..

We've lost one battery bar on our leaf 30 tekna, its easily achievable to only get mid 50's in bad winter with heavy rain and motorway driving, off motorway we can still eek 100 miles if we hold up traffic, sit in a hot tincar refusing to put the A/C on in the summer, but we bought a car with climate control to use, and we bought a car to drive on the motorway at motorway speeds.

·
Registered
118 Posts
To get less than 50 miles is by far the worst I have ever seen or heard of. You must have been driving fast, accelerating hard and really blasting the heater at 30°C to get it that low. That, or your battery is especially unhealthy. Bad tyre pressures perhaps? Without a doubt something wasn't right with your car!
The Leaf was then 1 year old with 10k on the clock and (as you would expect) 12 battery bars. Climate control was at 20 degrees C, and apart from accelerating briskly to the motorway speed limit I kept to an indicated 77mph on cruise control (actual 70mph), there being hardly anyone else around. It was very cold and windy and the charge level was obviously dropping at an alarming rate but it was a familiar journey and I knew exactly how far I had to go - otherwise I would have slowed right down and worried! Oh and tyre pressures were normal (36psi).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Less than 50 miles from a 30....wow!
I once reduced my 24KW Leaf to nothing in under 40 miles, but that was driving like a loon.
Absolutely flat out acceleration and going as fast as the thing would go for miles (private closed test track of course).

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Less than 50 miles on at least 25 kWh! It must have been very cold/windy/wet as normally you get over 3m/kWh and you achieved under 2.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Guys,

Against my better judgement, I simple cannot ignore the financial incentive.

Be honest with me, what sort of real world range will I get from a 30 KWH Leaf?

I do a 65 mile a day commute each way from Bristol to Grove, Oxfordshire.

20 miles is B & A roads, 45 is cruising at 60mph on the motorway.

My plan would be drive to work (65 miles) then leave work in the evening, top at Membury services (15miles from work) then drive home.

Is this a realistic proposition a year round? Please be honest as if it is I'm quite likely to buy one.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts