Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I will soon buy an opel ampera with 57.000 miles on board. Can you guys tell me what range should I except for city drive? I know it depends on many factors but still..is it somewher between 30 and 60 miles. Can it be lower than 30?

thank you
(Lifetime consumption: 2.7) - donno if it is important

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,508 Posts
I would have thought to get lower than 30 you would be running it fairly hard and/or with heating up high. Driving it gently and steadily, trying to avoid harsh acceleration and hard braking then 30 would be quite easily achievable.
I think your lifetime consumption is 2.7 litres/ 100 km and not mpg so works out at around 104 mpg but this really depends on how much time car was driven solely on electricity.

·
Twin Amperas
47 Posts
30 winter 45 summer if you drive smoothly...60 I don't think so...maybe 50 under ideal conditions on a very good day but not 60....

...having said that 300 is doable if you don't mind burning some carbon based fuel...?!

Still an amazing car though...

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hi guys,
I will soon buy an opel ampera with 57.000 miles on board. Can you guys tell me what range should I except for city drive? I know it depends on many factors but still..is it somewher between 30 and 60 miles. Can it be lower than 30?

thank you
(Lifetime consumption: 2.7) - donno if it is important
My wife's all time record for poor range was 19 miles from a full 10kwh charge. Things to bare in mind, we have a 2012 model with 16kwh battery pack not the newer 16.5kwh pack. It was winter, about 2 degrees, raining, she would have had lights on, heating on max, heated seat on max, wipers going, and a 10 mile dual carraigeway stretch @ 70mph.

Mind you she has never in 8 years managed 40 miles out of it. I have had 40 miles + several times when i get to drive it. For city driving i would factor in 2.5m/kwh for winter and 3.5m kwh for summer, and 3m kwh for Spring / Autumn.

Under 10 degrees or below kills the range as this seems to be when the battery pack heater really kicks in. 14-30 degrees and it seems the battery pack is happy with the ambient air temp and uses little leccy in heating or cooling. Never driven in high 30's to 40+ degrees as we dont see that in the UK Summer, but I assume the range is effected by cooling then.

Also will help range for city driving to drive in "L" for max regen with all the stop starts.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I would would expect 30 to 40 miles per charge and if you get 25 deg summers into the mid 40's, the stop start of city driving reduces the range compared to constant 40mph on a dual carrageway without stopping.
Heating is the range killer, in winter pre-condition on the wall box as this heats the battery which is better than using the traction battery to heat it. Use the seat heater as much as possible as it takes little power compared to the cabin heater.
As your in the city you will not be able to use the engine for heating on out of electric range journeys.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
You're not going t get 60 miles in town driving. I managed this once, in summer, a 30 mile trip out, then back at end of day. Gentle cross-country, zero traffic as was v early in the day, I never exceeded 40 mph, was doing 10 over crest of hills, and got chased by the occasional tractor! I have managed 50 in summer, gentle holiday driving on Isle of Wight, never exceeding 60 mph, so that's do-able. In miserable cold winter weather plus rain, you may well be down to 30 miles in town, even if you go gently, but I dont' think you'd be into the 20's. Preheating helps, especially if you do 2 preheats before leaving the house. You can start the 2nd one going before the first has finished, I believe! Allow 30-45 mins for this, on a 16A charger, as the HV battery gets drained a bit, so needs 15 mins to get filled back up.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I would agree - if you just drive it expect around 23 miles in winter and 40 in summer. That includes pre-heat and pre-cooling and using the accelerator :ROFLMAO:
You can achieve more by switching everything off and wearing coat (winter) or speedos (summer, other brands available..)!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I do a real mixture of motorway and heavy stop/start traffic, only had the car since mid September but it was slightly warmer then and saw around 37-43 miles on a charge depending on how much heating I used (43mile was virtually none on a warmish day). Now its gotten pretty chilly (sub 10C for my whole commute in the morning and not above 15c for the joruney home) I'm seeing more like 30-35 miles. I am very sparing with the heater, pre-heat the car and then exclusively use heated seat to keep me warm and everything else off, sometimes will blast the demist if I need it.
I should note I drive very gently with very steady slow acceleration whenever possible which would annoy some drivers but doesn't bother me. I expect as the winter gets colder and I use the heater more this will drop to about 25miles, on the flip side I am definitely expecting to get near 50miles with my style of driving in the spring/summer.
MY13 Ampera registered October 2014, 57,000mi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts