Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully the first of many posts. I have paid a deposit on a 2018 R90 Signature Zoe (my first Zoe after years of talking about it) and am due to pick up on Saturday. In my naive way, I have already paid £500 deposit and haven't been to the dealer to even see it (only seen pictures and a video of it).

I am being somewhat pressured into signing the Battery Lease contract tomorrow (Friday), before I even visit the dealership ('to save time').

I have asked the dealer to show me a picture of the service record, but he has failed to do this even though I asked on Monday. The dealer talked about a 'progressor' who is currently prepping the car and that the service book would be there on Saturday. I suspect what this means is that the car is not actually on-site and so is not on hand for him to take a photo.
Is this typical dealer behaviour?
I am not comfortable about signing / paying anything more until I have actually seen and driven the car on Saturday. I am also part-exing my car just to add to the complexity! Thanks.

·
Registered
17,436 Posts
No need to sign the battery lease until you are happy to commit to it.

However the dealer may insist on waiting on confirmation from RCI that it’s transferred to you before giving you the car. Not a big deal in the scheme of things.

Just make sure you’re happy with the car first.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You're more brave than me for paying £500 without even seeing a car. Do you want to tell us the deal you've been offered, and the stats about the car?
I've done the same when I bought mine. I drove several Zoe's within the area but got mine from a Renault dealer 120 miles away. Paid £500 deposit over the phone and few days later went to get the car. There is nothing to worry about. You are protected under the "distance selling" protection. If anything was wrong with my car I would have walked away and get my deposit.
To the OP, go drive the car and if it is "YOUR CAR" sign the papers, otherwise just walk away. No one can stop you or refuse to give you your money back.
I love my Zoe, should have done the switch from ICE to EV years ago 😄

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was a rush of blood to the head!

The Zoe has done 15,000 miles, they've offered £5000 on my 2015 Kia Rio which was better than other dealers and is better than I can realistically get privately as it needs a service/MOT (I'm sure they will knock me down). I'm paying the rest of the £14k list price in cash as I have saved up for this. It's taken me two years to convince my wife to get this car; she sat in a friends last week and was sold, although she has now insisted on BLACK which has limited my options. There's a lovely grey one with 9k miles and £1.5K cheaper, but this will not do!

·
Registered
115 Posts
The price is a bit steep for car with 15 K on the clock (my opinion only) I got my car (registered Sep 2017) with 8360 miles on the clock and with everything in it. Leather heated seats, BOSE sound system that it is absolutely bloody brilliant for just under £12K. The only difference is that on 18/68 plate cars should have Android Auto active by default, everything else is the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, hopefully I'll be a fully paid up member of the EV club from Saturday. Thanks for the advice so far.

Is there anything I should be checking on the Zoe? I test drive one about 18
months ago so I know how they are to drive (I was nearly sick when the dealer put his foot down at the start of the drive as I'd just had my lunch!)

·
Registered
317 Posts
It was a rush of blood to the head!

The Zoe has done 15,000 miles, they've offered £5000 on my 2015 Kia Rio which was better than other dealers and is better than I can realistically get privately as it needs a service/MOT (I'm sure they will knock me down). I'm paying the rest of the £14k list price in cash as I have saved up for this. It's taken me two years to convince my wife to get this car; she sat in a friends last week and was sold, although she has now insisted on BLACK which has limited my options. There's a lovely grey one with 9k miles and £1.5K cheaper, but this will not do!
14k for a leased battery zoe?
i paid 18ish for a brand spanking new zoe with battery ownership.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've done the same when I bought mine. I drove several Zoe's within the area but got mine from a Renault dealer 120 miles away. Paid £500 deposit over the phone and few days later went to get the car. There is nothing to worry about. You are protected under the "distance selling" protection. If anything was wrong with my car I would have walked away and get my deposit.
To the OP, go drive the car and if it is "YOUR CAR" sign the papers, otherwise just walk away. No one can stop you or refuse to give you your money back.
I love my Zoe, should have done the switch from ICE to EV years ago 😄
Just to correct something which I see alot, you are not protected under distance selling regulations if you leave a deposit over the phone and then go go to see the car at the dealers premises, the moment that you step foot on the premises, distance selling regs do not apply as the transaction is no longer a distance sale.

If you had paid a deposit, or the full amount, over the phone or internet, had
the car delivered to your house, then you are covered.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just to correct something which I see alot, you are not protected under distance selling regulations if you leave a deposit over the phone and then go go to see the car at the dealers premises, the moment that you step foot on the premises, distance selling regs do not apply as the transaction is no longer a distance sale.

If you had paid a deposit, or the full amount, over the phone or internet, had
the car delivered to your house, then you are covered.
However, till the moment I do sign the papers, I do not own the car, so there is not a deal. When you pay the deposit there is always the notion that the sale will be conducted upon the satisfactory inspection and acceptance of the car as described....is it not? When I went to collect my car and seen it for the first time, I did not commit to buy. With my deposit I reserved the right to inspect the car and the guarantee that the car will not be sold to other party before I was given the first choice of acceptance or refusal.

·
Registered
138 Posts
However, till the moment I do sign the papers, I do not own the car, so there is not a deal. When you pay the deposit there is always the notion that the sale will be conducted upon the satisfactory inspection and acceptance of the car as described....is it not? When I went to collect my car and seen it for the first time, I did not commit to buy. With my deposit I reserved the right to inspect the car and the guarantee that the car will not be sold to other party before I was given the first choice of acceptance or refusal.
Well yes, but you are not covered by distance selling regs which is what you implied.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ooooh, someone doesn't like to be wrong!
Well, technically you're both right/wrong :p

The deposit made over the phone is covered by consumer contracts regulations.

The purchase of the car in person is not.

Neither are covered by the distance selling regulations, as they were replaced 6 years ago ;)

As for the Zoe, make sure it has the SD card and type 2 cable

·
Registered
51 Posts
14k for a leased battery zoe?
i paid 18ish for a brand spanking new zoe with battery ownership.
Was that pre-registered? Presumably a dynamique nav? Reversing camera? Any other goodies?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All was good with the Zoe, so no deposit issues! It was an expensive purchase price, but they didn't knock me down on the part ex, despite it having a large scratch on the boot, 15 months overdue on the service and MOT overdue from July (extended by CO-VID). Cable and SD card all present and correct. LOVING the brown leather interior, it reminds me of a 70 Sci-Fi movie's vision of a future car, I feel like I need to grow a moustache! Thanks for your help.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts