Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering, now it's the law that new EVs emit a noise below speeds of 12mph and those noises are often weird sci-fi type noises, has anyone had an issue with horses being spooked? Or are there any horse riders here who can give feedback.
I pass horses very slowly and with as much room as possible or if in a narrow lane only when the rider indicates that they feel it's safe for me to do so but I'm concerned that the EV noise might be more disturbing than the purr of an ICE vehicle.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,607 Posts
My wife has owned and ridden horses all her life, there is no rhyme or reason as to why a horse becomes spooked by anything, EV or not.

I wouldn’t have thought there’s any particular reason why a horse would be particularly spooked by EV pedestrian warning noises.

The only time a horse I was riding bolted and I fell was because there was a crisp packet in a hedge. It wasn’t moving, it wasn’t making a noise, it was just ‘different’.

Wide and slow is the right thing.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,920 Posts
I live on the edge of the Potteries and can be along country lanes in a few minutes. I have come across horses many times in different EV (and ICE). Like @Tooks says 'wide and slow' or quite often just standing still and calling forward. Not seen any horses bolt.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,867 Posts
Agree with the above, but have only once had a problem with a nervous horse that despite pulling right over, stopping and turning off the engine in an ICE the horse refused to pass us.
Some animals are unsuitable to be on the road, just like some vehicles and drivers.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Horses are bloody dangerous things. Thick as sh*t and the size of a small car. What they choose to randomly do at any given moment is sod all to do with the traffic around them.

Reactions: DomJ

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was on a pony once that didn't bat an eyelid when a tractor back fired several times, while crossing a field, but when I undid the velcro fastening of my camera case, pony lost his little mind and took us both on a rapid tour of the local moor.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I've passed many horses in a Leaf and an e-Niro. Only once was a horse a bit skittish. It was coming towards me. I just stopped, the rider brought the horse relatively under control and passed while I stood still. I've passed many many horses and find them more predictable than some Humans. If they are disturbed you can always turn off Vess

·
Registered
759 Posts
Horses are bloody dangerous things. Thick as sh*t and the size of a small car. What they choose to randomly do at any given moment is sod all to do with the traffic around them.
In the last decade 44 people have lost their lives in incidents where horses were involved and 395 horses have been killed.
Compare that to the 1750 average deaths per year involving vehicles and it's safe to say that the horses aren't as thick as sh*t as motorists.
If motorists were more predictable it might be possible to reduce these figure, unfortunately their self-entitlement means we will never get anywhere close to preventing deaths on our roads regardless of all the technological crap the manufacturers keep putting in their products to alledgely make the roads safer.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
The last time I let a computer drive, it crashed into a solid object - the machines are even worse! 😂

Reactions: Swagman

·
Registered
39 Posts
Living on the edge of the Peak District I regularly encounter horse riders. Never had a problem with a horse being spooked by my Renault Zoe. The only time I caused a horse to be spooked was many years ago when cycling. But the rider said it was a young horse and not used to cyclists!

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family edition
90 Posts
I've passed many horses in a Leaf and an e-Niro. Only once was a horse a bit skittish. It was coming towards me. I just stopped, the rider brought the horse relatively under control and passed while I stood still. I've passed many many horses and find them more predictable than some Humans. If they are disturbed you can always turn off Vess
I haven’t found an option to turn off VESS in my ID.3. Not sure if this is a VW decision, a new legal requirement, or just a well hidden menu option.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,920 Posts
unfortunately their self-entitlement means we will never get anywhere close to preventing deaths on our roads
Totally agree. Look at the number of people who overtake cyclists on a bend. They're just not prepared to slow down for a couple of moments and wait until it's safe to overtake. Frightens me silly. Oh and I'm not a cyclist.

Reactions: Swagman

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,920 Posts
I haven’t found an option to turn off VESS in my ID.3. Not sure if this is a VW decision, a new legal requirement, or just a well hidden menu option.
Zoe has a button for it, but it defaults to on next time you start the car. Tried it once then never bothered again.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Totally agree. Look at the number of people who overtake cyclists on a bend. They're just not prepared to slow down for a couple of moments and wait until it's safe to overtake. Frightens me silly. Oh and I'm not a cyclist.
Made even worse if it's an EV, you really have no idea they are there until they come past you with inches to spare.
Not too much of an issue right now as there are so few EV's on the roads, but it'll only become more dangerous as the number of EV's grow.

·
Registered
512 Posts
The only time a horse I was riding bolted and I fell was because there was a crisp packet in a hedge.
Fertilizer sack in my case, but yes, there's often no rhyme or reason.

If I'm cycling I tend to call out before I pass to let both horse and rider know and have never had a problem. Most people around here near the South Downs know the score: the only scare as a rider I've had was on a short stretch on one of the faster roads. Nobody wants to be on them unless they must, but not all the bridle paths have perfect links.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I got my Kia e-Niro 4+ well after the legislation, it still has the option to turn VESS off but switches it back on after every start.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family edition
90 Posts
Zoe has a button for it, but it defaults to on next time you start the car. Tried it once then never bothered again.
I got my Kia e-Niro 4+ well after the legislation, it still has the option to turn VESS off but switches it back on after every start.
Exactly, I have seen a VESS button on many other EVs, but sadly not the ID.3. Unless the legislation has changed to prevent disabling of it then it is probably VW deciding they don't want to allow it it be switched off.

Reactions: Neilew
1 - 17 of 17 Posts