Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my GTE for 10 months now and have been charging overnight (most nights) on my exterior 3 pin socket has never been a problem. I've not got Eco7 elec, so i've got it set on instant charge and max ampage. During the late spring/summer I've not needed the car pre-heated i've been charging it as soon as it plugs in.

In the recent hot weather however I'm noting that i get the red flashing 'Plug Overheating' symbol on the brick within 5 mins of connection and its then limiting me to a slow charge. I can't even stop it by limiting to 5A straight away. Anyone else have this or do I need to get VW to check my granny over?

Also, I was away for a week or so with my car in a Multi-Storey at Manchester Airport (came back to see another carefully parked GTE next to me too which was a bonus) and parked up with half a charge. That half charge was still there on my return but when I got home and tried to charge, again despite being on 'Max' the brick was only slowly flashing indicating slow charge. Is this something standard after not having any charging for 9 days?

Thoughts welcomed!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
For the hot plugs you need to check the plug, fuse and socket for signs of heat, corrosion, or damage.

This is a known issue for the 3-pin EVSE's that come with cars, it's not extremely common but happens enough.

The socket you're plugging it into should be of high quality (like MK brand), it should be protected from moisture and all the wires on the back should be attached correctly and correctly tightened.

For the plug on the EVSE check that the pins are clean and show no signs of black scorch marks. Also check that the fuse is not damaged and that the fuse holder is holding the fuse tightly.

Check everything for signs of heat damage and ask the help of a qualified electrician if you're not comfortable checking it yourself.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks @AtTheVan. Plug looks fine with no apparent damage. I took out the fuse and that looked a little ropey so its been swapped for new. Still slow charging. Socket on the wall is also fine, its an MK that was fitted by a professional and wired in to the house mains where a dishwasher would have been. Its under a car port and is never exposed to water or direct sunlight.

My car is on a lease so its going to have a VW tech look at it and the cable next Tuesday. Whilst I don't have the need to charge at max voltage all the time I have tended to so it may be that 10 months of 13A charging on a unit rated for 10A hasn't done it the world of good.

Maybe time to get a proper unit installed. Whilst an overnight charge is fine at 5A and 7 hours, its no good for when I want to head back out with a full battery 3 hours after getting home!

·
Premium Member
10,644 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@proddick do you have a referral quote I could quote to them?

·
EV: VW Passat GTE Estate
30 Posts
You mention 10 months of charging at 10 amps.
Just for comparison I have charged for 18 months at 10 amps - with an instance of overheating cured instantly by replacing with a 'Made in England' 13 amp Fuse in the plug.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts