Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received an email from Podpoint this morning indicating that Hotels.com Booking.com and Kayak.com now had ev filters to search for hotels with charging facilities.

Been on all three searching and can’t find such a filter.

Anybody found it or used it ?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Received an email from Podpoint this morning indicating that Hotels.com Booking.com and Kayak.com now had ev filters to search for hotels with charging facilities.

Been on all three searching and can’t find such a filter.

Anybody found it or used it ?
It's under the Amenities filter on Kayak, haven't tried the others:

upload_2018-5-4_8-2-1.png

However if none of the search results offer it, it won't be listed as an option.
(The above was from randomly selecting Edinburgh as a destination)

·
Registered
235 Posts
It would be very handy to have lists of hotels that have EV charging and what type.
I use airbnb a bit and this also could do with that added but have found by asking the people who offer their facilities for charging mos have said "we have a socket you can use" So a Granny charging is OK for most staying with them.
A tick box to indicate EV option would be good.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's under the Amenities filter on Kayak, haven't tried the others:

View attachment 92721

However if none of the search results offer it, it won't be listed as an option.
(The above was from randomly selecting Edinburgh as a destination)
Ah, thanks for that. I did wonder if it was a contextual filter that disappeared like that but couldn't seem to hit an area where it found any. One wonders how many of the listings have actually taken the trouble to add the data anyway.

·
Registered
410 Posts
On a similar vein, I asked JustPark if they could update their app so you could find car parking with charging facilities. Turns out you can already search for spaces with charging on the website but not yet the app. I use JustPark a lot on travels into London and it’s good to see both individuals renting out their driveways and car park owners adding charging facilities. When the I-Pace arrives I will try them out.

·
Premium Member
11,015 Posts
On a similar vein, I asked JustPark if they could update their app so you could find car parking with charging facilities. Turns out you can already search for spaces with charging on the website but not yet the app. I use JustPark a lot on travels into London and it’s good to see both individuals renting out their driveways and car park owners adding charging facilities. When the I-Pace arrives I will try them out.
Yes it is annoying the app doesn't have the feature. There a quite a few space owners who have EV charging but don't have an EV, because they were given free chargers. I found someone with a space in MK when I collected the Zoe for a week. I didn't want to leave my Ampera in a public car park that long. Have also found spaces with charging near Birmingham, Bristol (walk to Parkway station) etc.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Just tried hotels.com and yes it's there. Under "facilities" you have "car charging point".

These search engine / comparison sites make their business analysing the crap out of all their search statistics, so I'm going to make a point of always ticking that box when I search so that the site starts telling hotel companies that they're x% more likely to get a booking if they provide car charging...

·
Registered
694 Posts
It's somewhat ambiguous regarding whether the charge point is at the hotel itself, or in the general vicinity. I suspect for some, it may be the latter. A bit like saying a swimming pool is available for guests if located near the local council leisure centre. A little more detail would be welcome. Nonetheless, it's good that businesses are beginning to recognise it as an asset.

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
Been looking at used cars a lot recently and a lot of websites still lack filters or decent filtering options. AutoTrader thankfully there is no messing about, you can straight away just filter by pure electric before you even think about keywords. While this accommodation booking websites news would be good progression, I won't be using Booking.Com and the like again myself. Used it a few times and had 1 or 2 bad experiences. They offer a free cancellation and refund if you cancel, but when I did cancel once the accommodation still took the money anyway, and Booking.Com took no ownership and washed their hands of it.

Have gone back to the old days of booking directly now.

Was at a Wedding the other day at this relatively new and rather plum venue in Bathgate. I did enquire with them beforehand about car charging, but they had none and were not interested. Just said there is some charging in the town centre, which is about 1 miles away from the venue. They even managed to put in a large man made lake on the premises, but a car charger, nooooooooh, that is too much hassle.

Look forward to the day when we laugh at venues and accommodations that don't have chargers, rather than get excited at the odd place we find that does have one for us.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Checked a few possible destination I might go this summer in my EV:
-Leicester: one single hotel at motorway service outside of town. Checked on Zapmap, it's Ecotricity EH rapids, not hotel destination charger.
-Southend-on-Sea: no EV charging filter
-Herne Bay: no EV charging filter
-Brighton: no EV charging filter

It's good the filter is there. But not many hotels are actively doing anything to offer EV charging.

In the end, for trips like these, it is still easier to drive our diesel, due to the shamble that is public charging.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
And how accurate is the data on hotels.com about these facilities?

On a random spot check of hotels that I know offer EV charging facilities, NONE of the ones I knew about showed up.

·
Registered
310 Posts
And how accurate is the data on hotels.com about these facilities?
On a random spot check of hotels that I know offer EV charging facilities, NONE of the ones I knew about showed up.
If they have just added the feature it will take time for the hotel owners to click the button to say they have it, but I'm sure it will gather pace as people realise it is there, particularly the independents. It may also encourage hotels to add EV charging if they don't already have it, as I guess the sites will record how many searches are done with EV charging as a selection, and hotels may be able to access the stats.

·
Registered
111 Posts
We stayed at an hotel in west yorkshire 2yrs ago in December an rang beforehand to check their zero carbon world point was working. Yeah he said but a charge of £5.. ok no probs part of the cost. Stayed 2 nights charged 24kw Leaf from 20% to 100% x3 times over Fri an Sat-then on leaving got a bill for £15 extra for leccy !! Thought it was steep considering the fuss hotel owner made about having it installed to "save planet" (his words) Dont mind paying but that amount was a bullet we did not forsee.
So watch out for wolves in sheeps clothing offering the earth.
Bob leaf

·
Registered
694 Posts
I think calling before booking is a good strategy. If they return a blank, you can then explain your reason for not booking with them. It might not help in the short term, but if enough EV drivers did, the message is bound to filter through eventually. I endeavour to mention charging in my feedback. As for excessive costs for charging, it's maybe something we shall have to take on the nose for a while (like the early days of wifi.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure if this topic is still alive but I think this information could be helpful. I recently found a website dedicated to EV owers: r3charge.com
They list all the hotels with charging point but also public charging, which significantly increase the coverage. I used it for my last trip in France and it worked quite well.

·
Registered
Kona Premium Se - 64k , 2020 model.
332 Posts
Not sure if this topic is still alive but I think this information could be helpful. I recently found a website dedicated to EV owers: r3charge.com
They list all the hotels with charging point but also public charging, which significantly increase the coverage. I used it for my last trip in France and it worked quite well.
I'm trying r3charge | Book Hotels with EV Charging Stations Worldwide and it kind of is a starter for ten on the project. It definitely needs more work, but post lockdown a comprehensive hotel, b&b & self-catering search would be more than useful.

·
Registered
332 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
A good addition to zapmap & plugshare would be to filter on hotels. That way you get an EV drivers perspective foremost.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts