Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about going to Cornwall in June for a little weekend break and wondered if anyone knew of any hotels or websites that lists hotels with EV charging?

Its been a mission looking through hostels that might offer this service.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I am thinking about going to Cornwall in June for a little weekend break and wondered if anyone knew of any hotels or websites that lists hotels with EV charging?

Its been a mission looking through hostels that might offer this service.

Thanks
Had a lovely EV trip there a couple of years back. Met @Michelle C&C's brand new eNV200 (now she's over 100,000 miles).

Lessons learned:

- The farmer of the place in Launceston where we stayed was lovely and let us charge overnight #ftw
- The EH points were great. Now CPG have added several too
- Watergate Bay has great charging facilities (the bar UNDER 15 is great and a third the price)
- The Buddock Veane Hotel is in a stunning location and has great charging
- You can park & charge at Eden Project. You can even blag a discount for arriving by an eco method.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Reactions: iceburnmarko

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
If I'm going to need a destination charge I phone ahead and ask if I can have access to a 3 pin socket as a condition of the booking, and tell them I will gladly pay for the electricity. I've only ever once been denied permission in three years and around 20 requests.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,600 Posts
@Soulman Checkout Chargepointgenies website map and theres also Cornwall Services with 2 EH Rapids and with having the Soul you can also get a free rapid charge at Hawkins St Stephen and their other branch at Hayle simply by calling and asking ahead. Both work at 25kw but only add 10 minutes to an 80% charge. Also check out plugshare and see if anyones local to where you want to stay as well. For example if you were coming to Newquay a member on here and I are both listed as available at 16amps. Personally I wouldnt be to concerned with charging theres plenty of rapids scattered around in Cornwall. Its pretty easy to get from Exeter Moto services to Cornwall Services on EH and on to anywhere in Cornwall.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
it certainly seems a bit sparse, i searched edinburgh and nothing came up, despite me knowing theres a charger at the RaddisonBlu, bruntsfield hotel and the marriot at the gyle

·
Registered
350 Posts
I stay at a lovely place in Polperro, Cornwall:

Jackie & Simon Whittaker
Natal House
The Coombes
Polperro
Cornwall
PL13 2RH

Tel: 01503 273011
Mob: 07944740176
Email: [email protected]
www.natalhouse.co.uk

Simon was a brilliant host and rolled out a very heavy duty extension to the car park for my granny charger.
On a previous stay, as I was walking up to the pub on the corner I asked him where there was a car wash locally. When I got back he'd washed my car for me. :) He and Jackie are the ultimate hosts.

Cheers, Tony.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I used zapmap - various campsites offer use of a commando socket. We've stayed at holiday cottages which have camping pitches and the owners have been very accommodating. The owner of a bunch of cottages called Wheal Hart/Wheal Kitty/Wheal Rose has a son who was editor of the zerocarbonworld website. When we visited he took a screwdriver to dismantle a window vent and fed an extension cable through for me to use my granny charger.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Booking.com has a filter for accommodation by ev charging point

·
Registered
15,954 Posts
Someone please explain to me. What's the deal with ZeroNet? Any payment due? RFID required? Or just plug and go?
These are normally Rolec chargers installed at hotels for free. They may work, they may not.

Best to phone ahead. The one I used they had to go and find the switch to turn it on.

·
Registered
223 Posts
We have found most Holiday Inns, Ibis, Great Western, Hand Picked Hotels and Hilton hotels have chargers now.
Even some Premier Inn & Travelodges are starting to get them installed now.
In fact we often use them on a journey, with no need to stay overnight at them, as long as you register your car reg to avoid a parking fine. Much pleasanter that stopping at a Motorway service area too.
Both ZapMap & Plugshare also have filters for accommodation.
There are a few of nice hotels we have found via ZapMap/Plugshare, because they were in a convenient place to charge when on a journey elsewhere, that we have ended up booking them for a later trip, because we liked the look of the hotel when we stopped for a charge.
We always make a point of letting their reception staff know that the only reason we found the hotel, was because they had the charger.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts