Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys only had my gte 3 weeks and our house has been broken into to steal the keys.

I was actually on holiday in Torquay visiting my sister and we went down in my dad's passat cc as it's got more boot space and so left mine on the drive with the security post firmly up and locked behind it.

Anyway had to come back after only one night after a call from my uncle who said the back patio door had the lock snapped off, all the kitchen and living room had been searched looking in every possible hiding place and luckily they didn't go up stairs so maybe they thought someone was in, but I had taken my keys with me and anyhow I put them in the safe at night and not left on a table or anything so they obviously couldn't find the keys and left without them and luckily no household items.

Anyway thought I would remind fellow gte owners out there that this is an expensive car and most probably sort after by the local car jacking gang.

I know of quite a few house breakins where I live in brum where they just want the car keys.

Anyway we have fitted a anti snap 3 star cylinder lock now so should stop the *ankers now.

For £40 it's invaluable take a look at the video of how quickly they can break the lock with simply some mole grips.

Customer Support - Ultion Locks

It's not a post I thought I would ever write but hopefully you guys can take action and protect that lovly motor sitting outside, I'm thankful I've still got my car even thru our holiday was ruined.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The police were here about 5 minutes took some fingerprints and buggered off, had to female officers come this morning as a follow-up call to look at our locks I guess and she said they was over stretched.

The thing is these are organised gangs

Best thing to do is tasser them

·
Registered
211 Posts
Speaking of keys. Those of you getting the keyless entry proximity system would do well to get a special box to store your keys in as devices are available to locate keys emitting a RS to operate the door locks and ignition. Basically its a Faraday cage to prevent a signal being emitting outside that can be detected and copied. This could still be found of course so hide it well.

You could also take them out with you as Markus did. No one can be certain what they were looking for but it's an up and coming trend to steal keys for valuable cars. We can all take more care over keys. Thanks Markus for sharing his close miss...

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
How do you know they were looking for your car keys?
Stealing cars now has become more difficult for the "Pond Life" so now they have resorted to committing TWO crimes, breaking & entering, then stealing of a motor vehicle.
This has now become the normal way to steal a modern car with the owner either being away from there home or even asleep in bed at the time. This is all to common today !!.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
The standard Euro Cylinders that come with uPVC and other exterior doors are rubbish. A 3* kitemark cylinder is well worth the money to slow them down. Have gone through all our exterior doors now, next on the agenda is some CCTV as a further deterrent.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys

They was definitely looking for the keys as nothing was stolen only doors draws and any hiding places searched.
I recon they wanted a quick job in and out, I always keep my keys in the safe now.

As I said there have been quite a few cars stolen after breaking into houses as they just can't steel the car without the keys, one point I would add is I don't have keyless entry as I had seen these devices they have to ampliftly the transmitter key fob.

Those ultion anti snap locks are about £40 also abs and yale are good also with 3* being the best.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's two trains of thought here either take your keys to bed with you or put in a safe over night and the buggers will overturn your house looking for the keys or leave them in the kitchen and they will be gone with your car but it's insured.
The police did say they don't want to wake anyone up so they will be quiet as a mouse so it very rarely becomes violent and once they been and failed they don't come back just move onto the next one.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Consider fitting your house with some covert CCTV that backs up to the cloud; easy and cheap to install.

Also, I got a £50 GPS tracker from Amazon, which is brilliant. It has a strong magnet and can be hidden almost anywhere on the chassis or inside - a £10 Tesco Mobile pay as you go SIM lasts ages.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Glad they never got your car, I have been meaning to fit anti snap locks to my front and back doors for a while now so just got a pair from Amazon and will fit tonight when I get home, I have also got a burglar alarm and CCTV cameras all over the house and in the garage, I don't want to be one of those people that fit all the above after a burglary.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've just put some dummy cctv cameras up outside at the moment as so many to choose from also put some barbed wire up to make it hard for them to get over the fence or side entry roof etc.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Speaking of keys. Those of you getting the keyless entry proximity system would do well to get a special box to store your keys in as devices are available to locate keys emitting a RS to operate the door locks and ignition. Basically its a Faraday cage to prevent a signal being emitting outside that can be detected and copied. This could still be found of course so hide it well.
Do we know what the range of the devices are? How far in the house would the keys need to be to prevent someone cloning them from the outside?

·
Madam Legurtz
407 Posts
What a horrible tale. After reading this on Friday I did some YouTube research on the Anti-Snap locks and was shocked to see one that demonstrated a 9-seconds time to break in. With an Anti-Snap the "burglar" spent a good three minutes not getting in, using an assortment of tools (including an electric drill) whilst failing to open the door!

On the strength of what I've read, seen and the tales on here I've sorted myself out a full set of Anti-Snap for all my UPVC doors, all of which are of the non-Star quality. Seriously! These doors cost enough as it is, and would add so very little to fit 3-Star Anti-Snap as a standard, because most homeowners are clueless about this, unlike the group of people who practise the art of stealing car keys from homes!

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
This subject was discussed in the pub recently and one guy related a story of someone who took his keys to the bedroom but still lost the car in a burglary. Seems that he had put the 'spare' key in a kitchen drawer so that it didn't get lost when he traded the car in later. Whoops.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I actually didn't think the gte being a hybrid was a car they wanna steel via house breakins etc always thought high performance cars like the gti etc.

Only a few months ago in Birmingham a guy was stabbed in the chest one morning while getting out of his gti and they spead off leaving him bleeding in the street.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all,

I agree not all burglars are looking for car keys. I have known some where the keys for a new GTD were left, the car was sat on the drive. Others were gold ect left but a vaccum taken?
Saying that Hanoi burglaries are very common could be 3-4 a day, normally golf, bmw merc ect tageted for parts or for use in other crime.
On door locks it is a very good idea to upgrade as most times thats how they get in. As well as the cylinders you can get stronger sorrounds which help to protect the lock. But sadly any door can be breached, upvc can be melted in some cases.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Or just smash the toughend glass window with a spring punch (or catapult which was used at my house) which makes very little noise and get in that way.
Personally it's only a car with no sentimental value and is insured. I'd rather they find the key quickly and bugger off (silently in full electric mode), then search around the house and maybe find other stuff to steal or threaten physical violence to my family.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Guzzipaul has a very good point, its a car. Better they get away with your car and dont start pouring boiling water on you till you give them the key. Pretty sure that wont happen over a GTE though.

For any criminal it comes down to risk v reward.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts