Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

thanks for adding me to the forum.

I’ve recently been passed on a leaf 30kWh from a family member who’s owned it since nearly new but not covered a lot of miles. I’ve downloaded leafspy, I would be really grateful for people’s view on the battery health and if there’s anything to be worried about/try and do to avoid further degradation. Inside its reading 12 bars.

thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,641 Posts
You've been given a decent battery if nothing else. The first bar on the dashboard display is lost after a sustained period below 85% SoH, so you would appear to have a while yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You've been given a decent battery if nothing else. The first bar on the dashboard display is lost after a sustained period below 85% SoH, so you would appear to have a while yet.
thank you that’s good to know. We’ve been so pleased with this little leaf never had an ev before.

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
1,045 Posts
Wish someone would give me a £12k car! Nice one!

·
Registered
2012 24kw upgraded to 40kw
295 Posts
Hello!

I’ve recently been passed on a leaf 30kWh from a family member who’s owned it since nearly new but not covered a lot of miles. I’ve downloaded leafspy, I would be really grateful for people’s view on the battery health and if there’s anything to be worried about/try and do to avoid further degradation. Inside its reading 12 bars.

thank you!
Tips for keeping your battery healthy; don't leave it at 100% (or below 10%) charge for extended periods, so don't leave it permanently plugged in and charging/full. Avoid sequential/multiple rapid charging because it gets the battery hot and hot batteries degrade more. An occasional rapid charge is fine - you will see how much the battery temperature goes up (which can be good during cold periods as a warm battery works better than a cold one).

Also, the 12V lead acid battery can cause problems when it gets old; lots of discussion on forum about the merits of replacement or regular maintenance charging.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,181 Posts
I’m jealous!

My 2017 leaf 30 is down too 78%!!!

However I now have my eye on the MG long range cross over very good price - if I can get a new job and part ex my leaf while prices are ridiculous!

in 2 years my leaf is now worth more than what I paid!!!

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Hello!

thank you!
SoH looks a little lower than I'd expect for 22k miles, but about right for the (probable) age of the car.

My 2016 30kWh was at 92.4% SoH at 23k miles but is now at 87% at 41k miles, however it seems to be the case with Leaf's that most of the degradation is age related rather than mileage related, so as our cars are a similar age this is probably par for the course. Cell balance looks very good measured at 55% SoC so there don't appear to be any individual weak cells.

As for what you can do to "avoid further degradation" - nothing really, the battery will degrade over time whether you use the car or not, but you can reduce the rate of degradation somewhat by staying between 30-80% SoC when possible - try to avoid charging to 100% when you don't need full range or if you aren't going to use the car for a few days. For example if you make short trips don't plug it back in again if it's already above 80%.

Likewise try to avoid running it down to the low battery warning on a regular basis - I try to keep mine above 30% when I can. Also keep an eye on the battery temperature if you're doing long journeys and multiple rapid charges. Two or more rapid charges on a long motorway jaunt can get the battery pretty hot. Other than that, just enjoy the "free" car!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts