Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This proposed generator system uses wind/wave/solar together. The only problem would be on a very cloudy day, with calm sea and no wind.

·
Registered
474 Posts
It's an interesting concept. I was daydreaming a few years ago and came up with a similar hybrid sytem that uses tidal power rather than wave power. In essence, you build a couple of conjoined circular ponds in the North Sea, probably with a diameter of something like 30km and a barrier that prevents water passing through (a dam). One of these acts as the low pond, the other as the high pond. There are turbines between each pond and the open sea, and also between the two ponds. This means that tidal power can be generated round the clock, by opening different turbines at different phases of the tide.

But there's more - this could also act as a pumped storage utility, by reversing the flow of any one of the turbines. By making it 20km diameter the capacity of this would be huge.
There's more still - along the walls of the ponds you can place wind turbines. You already have a perfect location to install all the necessary infrastructure so these could be attached to the pond walls, rather than having standalone bases.

But there's even more - one reason for making the ponds circular is to minimise the length to area ratio for each pond, but there is another reason - each pond contains a giant circular floating solar array. These arrays, being circular, will rotate so that they always face directly at the sun, thus maximising the gain. As they are just above the water they will benefit from cooling and be more efficient in warm temperatures. They will also be protected from the waves of the open sea by the boundary of each pond. There may even be a reduction in wind in each pond due to the surrounding ring of wind turbines, although I suspect this effect will be small over such a large area.

So pumped storage co-located with three separate types of renewable energy, with many of the construction costs being shared across the whole project. I never stopped to think about it, but you could also surround the ponds with wave power generators, which would therefore be operating just off the artificial shore of the project hence I presume cheaper to install and maintain.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
I presume cheaper to install
You've basically 'designed' a Severn Barrage, with a lot more wall. The average depth on the North Sea is 95M, so I think the basic cost would be prohibitive, even with the savings on individual installations.
Also, the tidal range away from the coasts are much lower, so 'entrapment' of water height is going to be more limited than somewhere like an estuary.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
The tidal range on the North Somerset coast is the second highest in the world, so the Severn Barrage should be built right away. But lots of opposition, especially in Bristol, on grounds of environmental damage and limiting access to the Avonmouth Dock.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,903 Posts
You've basically 'designed' a Severn Barrage, with a lot more wall. The average depth on the North Sea is 95M, so I think the basic cost would be prohibitive, even with the savings on individual installations.
Also, the tidal range away from the coasts are much lower, so 'entrapment' of water height is going to be more limited than somewhere like an estuary.
Sadly I think that you are right.

I was looking forward to a new Atlantis or Tracy Island emerging from the North Sea!

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
This proposed generator system uses wind/wave/solar together. The only problem would be on a very cloudy day, with calm sea and no wind.

The only problem would be that the contraption would be totally destroyed in the first storm let alone hurricane.

Its obviously just a piece of clickbait. Duh

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,366 Posts
Greenwash nonsense looking for free Gov money handouts for research.

If putting solar panels at sea was a 'real idea' then it'd have been done by now. What'd happen is they'd get covered in a layer of dried salt within a day or two and stop working. Then various animals will come along and inhabit it, the salt will get covered in [especially bird] shit and before one knows it there will not be any 'solar panels' anymore but a floating island refuge for all sorts of marine fauna.

Just ask anyone who's used a floating pontoon! ;)

I suppose it depends what the objective is; if it were for encouraging off-shore wildlife, then it'd probably be quite successful.

Wave energy is similarly pointless due to the very poor power density that wave energy can offer. It's just water moving up and down, from wind energy, more efficient just to grab the wind energy.

Wind power works, that's why people are doing it.

It seems if you've got a shit idea and need Gov investment money, then the MO is to strap it onto the back of something that does work and say 'wow, look at how cool this is now'.

Just in case you think I am sitting on the fence, I don't think this is a good idea! ;)

·
Registered
474 Posts
It was in fact inspired by the Severn Barrage, as I tried to think about how you could mitigate the objections to it, in particular the loss of mud flats at low tide and the NIMBY effect. There are large parts of the North Sea that are relatively shallow, such as the Dogger Bank. The idea of making it so large is to reduce the perimeter to area ratio and thus reduce the costs per unit of energy storage available.

Perhaps the biggest flaw in the plan is the fact that the tidal range in the North Sea is not that great. There are reasons why the Severn estuary is being proposed as the location for such a scheme. Is there perhaps a different location in the world where the concept might work better?

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Greenwash nonsense looking for free Gov money handouts for research.

If putting solar panels at sea was a 'real idea' then it'd have been done by now. What'd happen is they'd get covered in a layer of dried salt within a day or two and stop working. Then various animals will come along and inhabit it, the salt will get covered in [especially bird] shit and before one knows it there will not be any 'solar panels' anymore but a floating island refuge for all sorts of marine fauna.

Just ask anyone who's used a floating pontoon! ;)

I suppose it depends what the objective is; if it were for encouraging off-shore wildlife, then it'd probably be quite successful.

Wave energy is similarly pointless due to the very poor power density that wave energy can offer. It's just water moving up and down, from wind energy, more efficient just to grab the wind energy.

Wind power works, that's why people are doing it.

It seems if you've got a shit idea and need Gov investment money, then the MO is to strap it onto the back of something that does work and say 'wow, look at how cool this is now'.

Just in case you think I am sitting on the fence, I don't think this is a good idea! ;)
Total nonsense. I'm with Donald obviously.

I'm wondering why the OP did not apply normal rational filtering.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm wondering why the OP did not apply normal rational filtering.
What makes you think that I should censor information? Or that I thought that it was a brilliant idea? I'm wondering why you thought it was useful contribution to write that sentence. But then again, on second thoughts, it's exactly the kind of passive aggression that you display all the time.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
What makes you think that I should censor information? Or that I thought that it was a brilliant idea? I'm wondering why you thought it was useful contribution to write that sentence. But then again, on second thoughts, it's exactly the kind of passive aggression that you display all the time.
Anyone of us can post useless junk, obviously designed for the purpose of clickbait. Wakeup, use your noggin

1 - 19 of 19 Posts