Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the petrol station to put some air in the tyres. Filled them to 2.8 bar (40.6 PSI) but when I drove away, the TPMS sensors indicated 3.0 bar (43.5 PSI). Lowered them to 2.5 (36.2) and of course the TPMS now indicates 2.7 (39.2).

So, who's right? The car or the pump's pressure meter?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Mine doesn't look too bad.
I bought a guage of Amazon that claims to be calibrated. They are within 1psi of eachother

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,157 Posts
Went to the petrol station to put some air in the tyres. Filled them to 2.8 bar (40.6 PSI) but when I drove away, the TPMS sensors indicated 3.0 bar (43.5 PSI). Lowered them to 2.5 (36.2) and of course the TPMS now indicates 2.7 (39.2).

So, who's right? The car or the pump's pressure meter?
I would trust the TPMS before any garage gauge. The special dedicated sensor chips used in TPMS are pretty hi tech. I have an old Halfords electronic gauge which I’ve used a few years and always seems to correlate well with other systems. It also reads within say 1psi of my E-Niro TPMS when I first checked it.

Don't forget of course that driving will always raise the pressures as compared to being parked for hours undriven.
Peter

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 64kWh 4+ MY21
279 Posts
I have a Halfords tyre air inflator, the type that connects to the cigarette lighter socket. I set that to 33.5psi on all tyres and after driving, the TPMS tells me all 4 tyres are 37psi. After driving for about 10-15 minutes even in these cold temperatures that rises to 38-39psi. I imagine in the summer that would be even higher. Next time I check, I'm going to set it to 32.5psi which might bring it to the 36psi that Kia recommend at rest/cold. So it is almost impossible to get an accurate tyre pressure. Just get it as near as possible.

For some strange reason, my fathers 13 year old Yaris had all the air replaced with Nitrogen at its last service. Apparently , Nitrogen doesn't shrink or expand like normal air does.

I often wondered, if you put Helium in car tyres, would the weight saving make it more economical. Just joking :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
3,023 Posts
[QUOTE

I often wondered, if you put Helium in car tyres, would the weight saving make it more economical. Just joking :rolleyes:
[/QUOTE]

Or would it fly away like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have several inflation gauges including a calibrated large scale one. The TPMS system on the Kia, like every other TPMS system I’ve compared, is well within 1psi.

I highly recommend the 78% nitrogen mix. Works well as long as you keep it topped up..........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.