Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How accurate do people find the predictions to be in A Better Routeplanner? It's predicting a route that is suggesting I drive no more than 62mph and will arrive at that charger with 11%, and that if I plug in to that rapid charger I would be at 81% after 45 minutes (in a Q90 Zoe)

I Haven't taken a Q90 On any particularly long journeys before. I'm just wondering if any other Zoe owners can comment if that charge time prediction seems realistic, and also if owners of any brand of car typically find that the predicted arrival SOC matches reality, since it looks like it could end up cutting it closer than I would like already.

(I Feel like I'm getting soft now. I used to be up for the challenge and travel everywhere in my old 30kWh LEAF With minimal planning. These days I'm finding myself asking questions like this online and wondering if I should just do it the easy way and hire an ICE for the day instead!)

·
Registered
539 Posts
For the Ioniq it is pretty accurate, possibly a touch pessimistic.

You can disable the route suggestions that have you driving slower to make it to charge points.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,526 Posts
How accurate do people find the predictions to be in A Better Routeplanner?
Very - particularly with the premium features.

They build in a 10% or so buffer to the default reference consumption.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Very - particularly with the premium features.

They build in a 10% or so buffer to the default reference consumption.
Thanks to the original poster for the question and subsequent answers.

Bill N - am pondering paying out of the premium features. I take it from your post that your find these good? What held me back was thinking should i spend extra money on this when the basic seems to do the job and i can also get out other sites like Zap Map.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For the Ioniq it is pretty accurate, possibly a touch pessimistic.

You can disable the route suggestions that have you driving slower to make it to charge points.
It seems pessimistic for the Zoe ZE50 as well, but it's very useful. You can always change the reference consumption, degradation (default is 10%!) and road conditions to give you more or less margin.

·
1,526 Posts
I take it from your post that your find these good?
I do yes - without it you do really have to check the temperature and rain forecast, plus wind, for your route in order to get accurate results.
Think I’m correct in saying you can turn it on and off from month to month.

You can get 30 day free trial I think with a code from Bjørn Nyland.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. That sounds quite promising. Looks like I should be safe with that. I've been looking a little more into the Q90's rapid charge stats. Looks like if I will be plugging in with the battery as low as ABRP thinks it will be, I should charge at close to full speed for the majority of the 45 minutes and so that time estimate also looks pretty accurate too.

Looks like I can continue to avoid driving ICE Vehicles for even longer!

Yeah, I did see that option. The only other suggestions it gives if I disable that are one that calls by a charger that doesn't appear to be very reliable going by Zap Map, and the other is a completely different route that adds almost a hour of driving time each way. Neither of those alternatives sound especially appealing.

·
1,526 Posts
Might find this interesting OP

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thank you for your post and tipping me off about Bjorn’s 30 free trial. Have signed up to give it a go.

I do yes - without it you do really have to check the temperature and rain forecast, plus wind, for your route in order to get accurate results.
Think I’m correct in saying you can turn it on and off from month to month.

You can get 30 day free trial I think with a code from Bjørn Nyland.
View attachment 134719

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GT Line R135
153 Posts
It seems pessimistic for the Zoe ZE50 as well, but it's very useful. You can always change the reference consumption, degradation (default is 10%!) and road conditions to give you more or less margin.
The only time I tried it in my Zoe, it was 12 percentage points out over 145 miles. (All the variables were adjusted as accurately as poss, and I kept a steady 70mph.)

I adjusted the reference consumption down from 309 to 270 and it came out about right. Just one journey though.

·
1,526 Posts
it was 12 percentage points out
Sounds about right as ABRP intentionally add 10% buffer to the default efficiency over actual data for all cars to allow for variations, and to basically ensure new users don’t use ABRP but then find themselves running out of juice.

With a little experience in using it, you can then adjust the reference consumption to get more accurate outputs (as you did) 👍

The other significant variable is wind, and it can sometimes to be tricky to accurately enter this manually for a given route that covers a decent distance and maybe doesn’t follow a straight line. This is where I find the premium features nice to have - as you just don’t need to worry about the weather at all.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To update on this - I found I will arrive somewhere between 6 and 9% higher than the SOC that it predicts on this. Quite pleased about that.

The charge time prediction doesn't seem so accurate. Despite starting off with more charge than expected, I needed just over 15 minutes longer than predicted to recharge to the advised level.

I've learned I can definitely trust ABRP to be fairly accurate and greatly help with route planning. But I've also learned that the Q90 Zoe really isn't a car I should be doing long journeys in again.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe (ZE40) Q90
1,158 Posts
My ZE40 Q90 works well on long journeys especially in the summer when the battey has warmed thats why i purchased it
along with the heated seats for use in the winter.:)

King Ming Another Ze40 Q90 owner on this forum has even been on a holiday to Croatia and back no problem (y)

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My ZE40 Q90 works well on long journeys especially in the summer when the battey has warmed thats why i purchased it
along with the heated seats for use in the winter.:)

King Ming Another Ze40 Q90 owner on this forum has even been on a holiday to Croatia and back no problem (y)
Maybe it's just because I'm coming from a 30kWh LEAF. It just doesn't seem as reliable as the DC charging, and a hell of a lot slower, despite the fact that they should both in theory be charging at the same rate.

I'm also getting disappointed now I'm learning just how many rapid chargers with AC are only actually 22kW and not 43.

You have my respect if you're patient enough to do long trips with one of these. I personally found it super frustrating and like I was holding people up at the charger, having been there for just over a hour. Double the time it took my old LEAF.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Under your profile its says 2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40) no mention of Q90 ?

Polar still install 43kw chargers which i use a lot and i never usually spend more that 45 mins on them
long enough for the wife to visit the loo and a snack break on route.
Dont get me wrong I would love longer range and CCS , but at the time ( 2017 ) 3 years ago that was the only choice.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,491 Posts
How accurate do people find the predictions to be in A Better Routeplanner? It's predicting a route that is suggesting I drive no more than 62mph and will arrive at that charger with 11%, and that if I plug in to that rapid charger I would be at 81% after 45 minutes (in a Q90 Zoe)

I Haven't taken a Q90 On any particularly long journeys before. I'm just wondering if any other Zoe owners can comment if that charge time prediction seems realistic, and also if owners of any brand of car typically find that the predicted arrival SOC matches reality, since it looks like it could end up cutting it closer than I would like already.

(I Feel like I'm getting soft now. I used to be up for the challenge and travel everywhere in my old 30kWh LEAF With minimal planning. These days I'm finding myself asking questions like this online and wondering if I should just do it the easy way and hire an ICE for the day instead!)
You're planning to fail there, relying on a charge at 11%. Don't do it. Always have enough charge that you can make it to the charge point AFTER the one you are heading for, i.e. a Plan B. Preferably so you can make TWO viable charge stops past the one you are aiming for.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Under your profile its says 2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40) no mention of Q90 ?
My main car is a R110 From Evezy/Onto but I had access to a Q90 and took it since it has the support for faster charging, hoping it would save me some time.

You're planning to fail there, relying on a charge at 11%. Don't do it. Always have enough charge that you can make it to the charge point AFTER the one you are heading for
I know. I've been driving EVs for a long time now. I know that I need alternative plans and I'm painfully aware of how poor the public charging situation is since I'm 100% reliant on it with no real way to plug in at home.

Without stopping at CYC network chargers which I told it to avoid due to their poor reliability the best route it could predict was this one which also meant I had to reduce my speed. There were 7kW posts around that I could have made it to so I wouldn't be totally stranded but I realise I was taking a big risk relying on one single charger.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I spoke to a Model 3 driver that could not charge at home and was driving 15 miles away to use a Lidl Charger at 23p per kw.
But he has a polar rapid near his home only 3 miles away that costs 20p-30p per kw using Contactless.
I have moved my electric supply to OVO energys EV everywhere tariff.
So I get my polar plus subscription for free so No monthly payment of £7.85p to pay and only pay 15p per kw on a Rapid which is just slightly more than the 14.43p per kw I pay at home.
Yes octopus energy is cheaper but that only works if you can charge at home.
And you don't need a smart meter to use the OVO tariff as I don't have a smart meter anyway.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts