Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Kona 2020 Premium SE 64kW
Discussion Starter #1
Based on my experience this week, very!

We've had a short break in Devon, driving down from Herefordshire. Everything went well, good weather, lots of range in the car, lovely little hotel and they had a charger. The only downside was it was a type 1 which didn't help but there was an outside 13amp socket so the granny cable came into its own.

First 2 nights got plenty of charge for touring around so I was confident of being fine. Returned on the third evening with 190 Miles on the GOM expecting to recharge for the 170 mile journey home only to find a Tesla plugged into "my" socket. 馃檧

I knew he had as much right to it as me so I left it. Next morning we left for home with a supposed 20 mile buffer. My previous car was a leaf and I once had a fraught journey with a similar buffer for a 100 mile journey. The last 20 Miles I watched as that buffer disappeared rapidly, just getting home on empty.

The journey was a mix of country lanes, dual carriageway and motorways. I kept the cruise control at 65 most of the way and kept my eye on the GOM. Much to uy relief the buffer didn't drop, indeed it even rose slightly. By the time I got home I had 25 Miles left.

I soppose I could have stopped to top up but didn't need to. The fact that it was so accurate gives me confidence to undertake longer journeys in future.

I found the smart cruise control and lane assist made for a wonderfully relaxing drive and I got an overall figure of 4.8 miles/kWh.

Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
Well done! I think the GOM is likely to get it wrong most often when the weather changes (for the worse) and/or you push it.

Registered
Kona 64
Based on my experience this week, very!

We've had a short break in Devon, driving down from Herefordshire. Everything went well, good weather, lots of range in the car, lovely little hotel and they had a charger. The only downside was it was a type 1 which didn't help but there was an outside 13amp socket so the granny cable came into its own.

First 2 nights got plenty of charge for touring around so I was confident of being fine. Returned on the third evening with 190 Miles on the GOM expecting to recharge for the 170 mile journey home only to find a Tesla plugged into "my" socket. 馃檧

I knew he had as much right to it as me so I left it. Next morning we left for home with a supposed 20 mile buffer. My previous car was a leaf and I once had a fraught journey with a similar buffer for a 100 mile journey. The last 20 Miles I watched as that buffer disappeared rapidly, just getting home on empty.

The journey was a mix of country lanes, dual carriageway and motorways. I kept the cruise control at 65 most of the way and kept my eye on the GOM. Much to uy relief the buffer didn't drop, indeed it even rose slightly. By the time I got home I had 25 Miles left.

I soppose I could have stopped to top up but didn't need to. The fact that it was so accurate gives me confidence to undertake longer journeys in future.

I found the smart cruise control and lane assist made for a wonderfully relaxing drive and I got an overall figure of 4.8 miles/kWh.
When you know you only have a little leeway you modify your behaviour. I once got home with 2 miles range. At 100 miles from home the GOM said I wouldn't make it. But keeping my speed down and slipstreaming lorries meant my GOM range decreased at a lower rate than the mileometer was going up. So the GOM can only predict from historic data.

Premium Member
We've found it incredibly accurate over the last 30k miles. With our old Leaf 30, the % remaining was the only accurate way to gauge remaining range and even that would decline at an alarming rate if pressing on. In the Kona, glance at GOM, set off and don't take much notice of it during the journey. Very reassuring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts