Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back when VW were offering £5k scrappage scheme I was looking at a 7.5 Golf GTE

Ended up moving So didn’t get a car, that was 2 years again I think.

Interested to know how they are doing. Depreciation, battery degradation, good points, any recurring issues?

How are the really early ones holding up? Seems they can be had for around £14k.

I had concerns and still do that what happens when / if the battery needs replacing. Also, depreciation when VW release pure electric.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,806 Posts
Had mine untill 2 weeks ago. 4 years motoring with 1 issue fixed under warranty. Otherwise very happy with the car, it did exactly what you would expect from a Golf: good quality, quiet, stable. No battery problem, I don't think I noticed any degradation, the car would still do around 18 - 24 miles on electric at the end as it did when I bought it.

So, my free advice:
  • don't drive it outside of warranty or get extended warranty. I would not expect issues, I drove mine beyond the warranty just fine. But repairs can be expensive (the car is extremely complex, supporting 2 drive trains, basically the worst of two worlds), so consider the warranty as insurance of your pocket;
  • BEV is better in all ways. If you are already considering a "plug-in" car, just get a pure battery vehicle. It will be simpler, less chance of breaking, depending on your needs can be much much cheaper in the long run;
Good luck with your choice!

PS: VW have the eGolf, that can be had for peanuts... well expensive peanuts

Reactions: reserves

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,907 Posts
~30months ~30k miles of ownership.

3 warranty issues, 1 big: Mechatronic unit faulty from factory (caused juddering when the oil warmed up), replaced and has been fine since. 2 small: Petrol door actuator failed (would have been a bigger issue if I was further away from home!). And spare key lost sync, maybe because it wasn't used for over a year?

4 year factory warranty expires end of Feb 2022, which will hopefully give some confidence to the next owner.

Low TCO based on current resale prices (mainly thanks to the scrappage scheme).

·
Registered
55 Posts
14k looks about right - I'm about to p/x mine (MY15) for an id3 1st and VW offered me circa £13k for mine. Only 30k on the clock, so relatively low mileage. Agree with the others though regarding running without warranty, because if anything major goes wrong it will be expensive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts