Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Tesla Model3
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went on a drive about my local area yesterday to test out the rapid network.
I wanted to know in advance where is best for a quick top up.

Tried 6 in total, one was busy, one Polar required money to be added to my account, 3 gave CCS errors,
Finally got the last one to work on the third attempt, but it gave up at 70%.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? I tried pushing on the connector as it was communicating with the car but no difference.
Do I have a fault with the car? Some of these I have successfully charged at before. AC seems to work fine, but 11kw has limited use really.

Is this really the state of the non Tesla network? I thought by 2020 things would have improved from my 2014 Leaf Chademo experience, which on reflection was better than CCS. I was warned when I got the car, there were issues, so glad I have a Tesla, hope other models are doing better.

·
Striving for a greener planet
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD 19" FSD; Renault Zoe Q210 22kWh
397 Posts
Tried a GeniePoint in Newquay a week or so back. Took several attempts to connect but did in the end. Did the up and push trick during communication. Next day, came back, temperature was a lot lower. After several attempts never got more than 15 mins. Gave up and headed to a Polar rapid at a hotel. Couldn’t get it started so had to call up. On hold for about 10 mins and they started over the phone. That still konked out at about 70%. Thankfully had enough at that point to get to a SuC
Previous to this I have used an Instavolt at the Route 303 diner. No problems whatsoever and contactless to boot
Edit: oh and used a Shell Recharge with no issues as well. Again contactless

·
Registered
782 Posts
We took a day trip to the East coast over Christmas and didn’t quite have enough charge to get back to Sheffield by the time it got dark. We stopped in a Banatine health club in Grimsby with an Instavolt charger. Not quite SuC levels of convenience, but pretty good and over 40kW via a CHADeMO adapter into a warm battery.

A bit pricy, but that’s ok for occasional use with contactless.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Tried 6 in total, one was busy, one Polar required money to be added to my account, 3 gave CCS errors,
Finally got the last one to work on the third attempt, but it gave up at 70%.
What network were they on?
The Ecotricity chargers, while mostly acceptable on chademo are a complete disaster on CCS. The shell chargers seem to work as do the instavolt ones. Polar (chargemaster) is hit and miss as they bought up so many different networks and seem to invest almost nothing in maintenance.
It's a real pity you can't add other (reliable) chargers to the map, as there's still quite a few areas where there's no super charger on route.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I tried a Polar, charging peaked at 20kWh and then dropped to 14kWh. Was not sure if it was the unit or the car as it was cold (8c). But I am 100% sure a Supercharger would have given me more.

·
Premium Member
11,462 Posts
I recently used a Polar Ultracharger CCS with Model 3 (cold battery) and it worked OK with max just over 40kW. I will try a few more CCS rapids on my forthcoming trip to North Wales.

I am sure Model S with CHAdeMO is more reliable - CCS certainly seems to have more bugs and gremlins!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've used Ionity on M20 and Newport Pagnal (M1) both gave 175kw at peak - better than a SuC. I wish there was a way of pre-conditioning before getting to them and using the navigation.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 Performance 2019
105 Posts
Superchargers weren’t a factor in my choice of car due to ignorance, but having seen what life might be like without them, I’m so glad that the network is there and thankful I did choose a Tesla. I love the fact that the cables are long enough, they always seem to be working and available in my experience, and I don’t have worry about payment or signing up for some new service. I’m not sure I would be enjoying my first EV so much without the Supercharger network. I’ve noticed lots of physically damaged charging stations at motorway service areas and ZapMap reporting lots of non-functional ones.

Superchargers aren’t near my most regular routes or my home, so I sometimes need to use other chargers. There are several Polar chargers nearby that I use when I need a quick boost and one near an office that I visit frequently. I use them a few times a month and it makes the £7.95/month Polar Plus subscription worth it for me. When the Polar chargers are not broken and available, I find them very good. It is convenient to tap the RFID card and the speeds are great if (and only if) you arrive with a warm battery at a low SoC. The fast charger (50kW) near me that is free to use with a Polar Plus subscription is frequently broken and they seem to take forever to fix it.

They just installed two Polar ultra-fast chargers (up to 150kW I think) in a local BP garage. From a practical standpoint, they are cumbersome to use with a Tesla. The CCS cable is only just long enough to plug into a Model 3 even if you park really close and right to the side of the bay. The cable has some sort of cooling sheath around it that makes it heavy and hard to bend, so it is difficult to plug in even if it does reach. It’s as though the manufacturer (ABB) have assumed that all cars plug in the front or the rear right of the vehicle. That said, the chargers have always been working so far and I’ve had 132kW starting with 10–15% SoC. They are also reasonably priced IMO. BP charge 20p/kWh if you pay the subscription, 35p/kWh with the Polar Instant app and 40p/kWh with a contactless card.

I too wish there was a way to tell get the Tesla to precondition for a non-Tesla fast charger.

I haven’t yet needed to find options other than Polar and Tesla, but I have noticed that the ones near me seem to be expensive in comparison.

·
Registered
2019 Tesla Model3
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What network were they on?
The Ecotricity chargers, while mostly acceptable on chademo are a complete disaster on CCS. The shell chargers seem to work as do the instavolt ones. Polar (chargemaster) is hit and miss as they bought up so many different networks and seem to invest almost nothing in maintenance.
It's a real pity you can't add other (reliable) chargers to the map, as there's still quite a few areas where there's no super charger on route.
All Chargeplace Scotland. A variety of makes. I was told on delivery that there were known problems with CCS on the older chargers, when I got the car in November I found this was true, but recently almost none work. Even the ones that did previously.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I should try the CYC rapid in my home town but in the year I owned an i3 I tried several times and never managed to charge.

My first SuC attempt at Membury (E) was 23 kw so I packed up and drove back the 24 miles nto nearly enough distance from cold to get heat in the battery I've since learned. Got to get rid of the pips!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Instavolt and Shell very good, Polar mixed and e-Volt consistently unreliable.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have done nearly 8,000 glorious miles in my Tesla Model 3..... not used a supercharger once :eek:
You may not know what you are missing! Except, of course the fees, given that CPS are free in most of Scotland.

·
Registered
741 Posts
You may not know what you are missing! Except, of course the fees, given that CPS are free in most of Scotland.
We are planning some trips to London and Scotland this year so I suspect I may get to use a Supercharger or too in 2020. I still have my free 1000 miles left... :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have done coming up to 9.000 miles in my long range m3. Since August I have driven all over the country relying on Tesla Chargers which has worked brilliantly. My next trip with the family does concern me. Me have booked a holiday cottage for a week in Norfolk. I live on the East coast in Lincolnshire so the best route is along the coastal roads. Looking at availability of chargers and reading the posts concerns me. Has anybody got charging suggestions for around Cromer?

·
Premium Member
11,462 Posts
That should keep your battery in good condition cos repeated SuC use does them no good.
I don't think Tesla count DC rapid charging any different to SuC - the Kwh go in the same "DC" column, so it counts towards any future #batterygate.

There is also a school of opinion that "occasional" low to high SuC helps, but nobody knows what that is. Weekly? Monthly? Tesla probably have the data but haven't given advice or shared battery health data.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts