Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of red rings on Zap-Map for North Wales and North West England. Nearly all of them belong to Polar. From the comments many have been broken for months.

Many of these are single rapids. Some are available according to Polar, but have multiple reports of not working on Zap-Map. From my desktop this looks far worse than EH. Is it really this bad?

5 months

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,086 Posts
I've been wondering the same! There's quite a few in the fancy D2N2 network that are listed as broken. Holiday Inn Stoke was broken for weeks on end. It also only seems to charge at 32kw when it is working.

I've been considering dumping polar as it's just pathetic how long they take to sort out the problems.

Some may be due to hotels etc going bust or not being open though. Chateau Impney has gone so there's only Webb's but that's also Polar and also broken so there's a PodPoint at a Lidl in Droitwich as the only remaining charger.

Ramada Inn Wrexham is often listed as broken too. There is a geniepoint at the morrison's.

I wonder if the ones at fuel stations are under different SLAs so they are actually fixed promptly rather than being ignored?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
They get paid by subscription even if they are broken. I don't understand why they can't make a reliable design, or fix obvious faults like a poor earth, and coms, (Cletwr), or even the door left unlocked (Aber. Uni).

·
Registered
Leaf e+ 62kwh https://share.octopus.energy/quiet-puma-274
709 Posts
They've always been a bit hit & miss, but I don't understand why brand new units still have faults with screens & need a phone call to reboot... There should be a rule to make all chargers go to free vend if screen or signal drops out, this would give companies more incentive to make sure they fix em ASAP if they want to make sure payment keeps coming in..
For me the shine has gone since they dropped the free loan car reward scheme, I had a Model S, Model X & the i8 over 5 yrs ( no way I'd normally get to experience those cars ) & much better incentive than the poxy shopping vouchers etc they now have...
Looking at all the other options now available the monthly sub is looking less attractive..

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've found that a great deal of people reporting faults seem to also be user error (or idiocy if you will) as they are not using the devices correctly. Obviously this goes to the issue of not needing knowledge to work something that should be idiot proof, since it will eventually be used by all of the GP.

I got to one Polar charger a while back that stated out of use on zap map by three different people over the course of a week, all CCS related, called up Polar they checked plus reset and it was fine, took about 3 minutes, yes it wasn't working but they probably pent more time complaining about it that calling them.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I dropped the sub ages ago,(except for getting it free during lock down) Loads of times i came across the frozen screen issue , which was sorted by a phone call. I cant believe they haven't sorted all these issues out by now !
I did use one of the new 150kw units at a BP station a few months ago and that worked perfectly.

·
Super Moderator
11,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a geniepoint at the morrison's.
Morrison's Owswestry is my Plan A. Two rapids, a big cafe and a decent pub in walking distance. EH is now plan B. Giving up on Polar.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,086 Posts
The screen issue has been since the start with the ultrachargers. That's when they weren't falling off the network and not working that way. The connector issue where it reboots on some connectors is more recent. Last year or so.

Each time I've phoned Polar it's been at least 10 minutes to even get through. Waste of time frankly. I'm only keeping the sub as the new 100+ kw units might actually be some use with the Corsa. They're in fuel stations so I think they're more likely to be bothered to fix them.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Morrison's Owswestry is my Plan A.
Sadly my plan A is diesel. Like the EH thread it seems customer satisfaction is not even on the radar. I remember watching a Fastned video and they actually have a guy who is responsible for the availability of their chargers. If one is down he is like a nutcase till it is up and working again. That is only part of the picture though. We need high power hubs like MK coachway or the Instavolt M40 J11 (8 off 100 kW). By the time I get back to EV the hubs and range will combine to make driving an EV a dream. With the current shambles I still think that is 5 years away.

Reactions: wyx087 and rikdud

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,080 Posts
Polar and the other chargemaster brands like CYC and their other regional networks all suck. Its not helped by the fact that their own brand AC posts and DC Ultracharge units have terrible software that will randomly freeze and go unresponsive, lose connectivity, or just totally crash if someone pushes the emergency stop button until an engineer comes and power cycles it.

I've said for a long time that they've been far less reliable than EH.

If you happen to be a frequent visitor to Milton Keynes then Polar is a great network and you should definitely sign up. Anywhere else in the country and they just shouldn't be considered by anyone as a plan A for charging at unless they happen to be placed in a really convenient location for you.

·
Registered
915 Posts
They've always been a bit hit & miss, but I don't understand why brand new units still have faults with screens & need a phone call to reboot... There should be a rule to make all chargers go to free vend if screen or signal drops out, this would give companies more incentive to make sure they fix em ASAP if they want to make sure payment keeps coming in..
For me the shine has gone since they dropped the free loan car reward scheme, I had a Model S, Model X & the i8 over 5 yrs ( no way I'd normally get to experience those cars ) & much better incentive than the poxy shopping vouchers etc they now have...
Looking at all the other options now available the monthly sub is looking less attractive..
Did they give you a loan car if your charger was broken? :)

·
Registered
Leaf e+ 62kwh https://share.octopus.energy/quiet-puma-274
709 Posts
Before BP changed things you could use your points to apply once a month for a loan car from a list they had, your name was supposedly picked at random like a raffle & if your name came up that month then you got to have that car for a week... They only deducted the points if you had the car, so I applied every month over 5yrs & got lucky 3 times 🙂 made my monthly subscription more attractive to me...

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,697 Posts
The screen freezing issue does seem to be a big thing at the moment. It seems to be worse with heat, but I believe their engineers have been told it's their main priority to sort - that said I've no idea how they haven't sorted it already.

Personally, Polar is my first choice still. On the whole, I find it quite rare that I totally can't charge with them and they are still the network with the most locations compared to any others. I have absolutely no issue with you all avoiding them though!

Zap Map is an increasingly unreliable waste of time when it comes to charger availability - it's extremely rare that there's actually a problem with a charger, and extremely common that it's somebody who hasn't got a clue what they're doing has marked a charger faulty because they haven't bothered to learn how to charge their car or they've done something stupid like pull a CCS plug without properly ending the charge session.

Personally, I've totally given up on Electric Highway because if they aren't being blocked by DPD drivers, I have to spend 35 minutes explaining how charging works to somebody who didn't do any research before they bought their car and is either standing there staring at it or trying to charge a CCS car using AC.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My experience with them has been failry good. I use a 7kW Polar post at work a couple of times a week, and I have now used four different Chargemaster rapids with the only issue being one that needed a reset. The only failed charge I have so far had was at the Tesla supercharger at Membury West where one stall wouldnt connect so i just moved to another stall and itr was fine.

·
Registered
248 Posts
It's nice to see some balance on here giving the kicking EH continuously gets. I agree EH is a disgrace given their advantageous locations and obvious potential if someone was to invest in them heavily, but my experiences of Polar have mainly been negative. Living in Scotland, I only recall ever trying to use Polar three times and two were not great:
  • one 7kW in Walthamstow (overnight charge, cost me about £13 on the app which worked out at over 50p/kWh - technically it was fine and I guess one always pays a London premium but it felt very expensive)
  • one 50kW in Cumbernauld (tried to pay with debit card and tried to use app - both kept crashing over and over and over until I gave up. Also a really crappy location, dimly lit, with a very unappealing travelodge-type hotel and no sign of coffee or toilets).
  • one 50kW in Gretna back in February (this was a lifesaver as EH at the nearby services was down, as was Todhills northbound. It proves the point - any network that works when and where you need it is welcome).
So I've had two bad and one good Polar charge. I'd say there are great networks (Instavolt in particular, then Engenie) and then there's the rest. The rest are fine when they're available and working but are too reliant on lone units, parking enforcement and dubious comms.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,380 Posts
Polar as a charging network, seems to be okay if you avoid single charger locations (unfortunately most are single charger locations). I've never had problem charging at MK Coachway charging hub.

Polar as a company, they seems to be more about chasing handouts than customer focuses. They won't even enforce parking restrictions at their HQ rapid chargers, often ICE'd or with cars left plugged in at 100% (I work in the same business park, used to walk past their charger as part of my lunchtime walk). I can't imagine they'd lift a finger at any other rapid charging spots.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Polar are OK, but I occasionally find that the touch screen doesn't work. The addition of contactless payment has slowed down the process of starting a charge if you have a subscription. Their rate of installation of the 50kW chargers seems to have really slowed down in the South. They've been installing 150 kW chargers, mostly in pairs or greater numbers which bodes well for the future. They're not as fast as they could be at repairing units.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Polar and the other chargemaster brands like CYC and their other regional networks all suck. Its not helped by the fact that their own brand AC posts and DC Ultracharge units have terrible software that will randomly freeze and go unresponsive, lose connectivity, or just totally crash if someone pushes the emergency stop button until an engineer comes and power cycles it.

I've said for a long time that they've been far less reliable than EH.

If you happen to be a frequent visitor to Milton Keynes then Polar is a great network and you should definitely sign up. Anywhere else in the country and they just shouldn't be considered by anyone as a plan A for charging at unless they happen to be placed in a really convenient location for you.
I live in a smallish town in North Yorkshire and there are two sets of Polar rapids for some strange reason.

Placement isn't bad, one is in a town centre car park near a Garden centre. The other is in another car park near a Lidl and filling station. These and the other Polars I've used up here in the North have always worked reliably for me.

I used a Shell Recharge near Thirsk recently and although it worked, they aren't providing live usage data like Polar, so it was unknown if it would be available when I arrived.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a correlation between age of the network and units and reliability.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts