Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4+ Yacht Blue. Jan 2021
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only had the e-Niro for 6 weeks and haven't used it a great deal yet, but I am struggling with the boot size a bit.

My previous car was a Mondeo estate, so that was easy to throw whatever I wanted in without thinking about it.
That has a stated 542 litres capacity.

So a car with 451 litres capacity seemed like only a small step down.
But I'm struggling with things like dog carriers more than I thought I would.

So I got the tape measure out.
I know this is going to be inaccurate because of all the shape changes around the sides, but:

I measure depth as 760mm at the floor, and 580mm at the top of the seat.
Height to seat top as 480mm
Width as between 1060mm and 1260mm

By my reckoning that comes to about (670 x 480 x 1160) 373 litres.
I don't think my measurements are out by 80 litres.

Is the space under the floor being included in the official boot size figures?
Cos that would be annoying. I'd rather just have the boot space.

I've seen threads where people have removed the underfloor storage to lower the floor.
It's a shame that the existing boot floor then won't fit properly.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've come from a Superb MK3, the boot was huge, but I test drove the e-niro prior to purchasing, and had a good look at the boot, I was under no illusion that it is tiny compared to the Superb, the Superb boot became a bit of a storage space for my motorcycle gear.
So, now having had the e-niro for two months, I am getting used to the boot size, I don't carry much so it's not really an issue, it's just getting your head around the restricted space available, now I am hoping that KIA will do a full EV version of the Sorento some time in the future, now that would be ideal.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those look very nice, but was thinking of a bit of plywood and some stick on carpet as a cheaper starting point

·
Registered
658 Posts
I've only had the e-Niro for 6 weeks and haven't used it a great deal yet, but I am struggling with the boot size a bit.

My previous car was a Mondeo estate, so that was easy to throw whatever I wanted in without thinking about it.
That has a stated 542 litres capacity.

So a car with 451 litres capacity seemed like only a small step down.
But I'm struggling with things like dog carriers more than I thought I would.

So I got the tape measure out.
I know this is going to be inaccurate because of all the shape changes around the sides, but:

I measure depth as 760mm at the floor, and 580mm at the top of the seat.
Height to seat top as 480mm
Width as between 1060mm and 1260mm

By my reckoning that comes to about (670 x 480 x 1160) 373 litres.
I don't think my measurements are out by 80 litres.

Is the space under the floor being included in the official boot size figures?
Cos that would be annoying. I'd rather just have the boot space.

I've seen threads where people have removed the underfloor storage to lower the floor.
It's a shame that the existing boot floor then won't fit properly.
Not sure if Kia do it too but the craze is to "sell" the space to the roof, not to the luggage cover these days (along with litres rather than any dimensions......designed to get you to go and look I suppose. Made me scratch my head for a while when I parked my Passat estate next to the potential MG5. I had a similar "its so small, where are the litres" moment.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure if Kia do it too but the craze is to "sell" the space to the roof, not to the luggage cover these days (along with litres rather than any dimensions......designed to get you to go and look I suppose. Made me scratch my head for a while when I parked my Passat estate next to the potential MG5. I had a similar "its so small, where are the litres" moment.
That really is just cheating. It has always been accepted that the boot space is measure up to the load line (top of seat).
A mondeo estate and hatchback have the same official capacity with the seats up, because up to the load-line they are the same shape.
It should be the same with underfloor storage. If you've hidden it, it's not official boot space.
Feel free to list it as a separate item, but don't mislead.

I think the e-niro is a 370 litre boot (to the load-line) plus 80 litres under floor space.
I'm going to reclaim some of that.....

·
Registered
241 Posts
I took the crap hidden layer out of the boot and added "Trunk Liner, part no G5122ADE10" and a bit of plywood. Was worth it for the extra space.

So, part 2. I now have a piece of hardboard from Homebase, about 60cm by 120cm:

View attachment 122137

Made one cut in it about 90cm along (by scoring along a line repeatedly with a sharp knife, then snapping the board). Unscrew all the trays from the boot and then put the two pieces of board in:

View attachment 122138

The extra piece on the top right isn't really needed but it was left over after I'd cut the board so I thought I'd put it in anyway. It just fits to the right of the seat bracket that intrudes into the boot space between the two seats. As you can see these boards just fit roughly, I didn't bother cutting them to shape or anything. The important part is that you have a large-ish bit of board covering the uneven surface of the second-layer polystyrene tray.

Trunk Liner, part no G5122ADE10 then goes ontop of the board:

View attachment 122139

And thats it. It's firm enough, looks adequately OK (boots of cars rarely look lovely anyway) and adds a lot more space.
There are a few other ideas in the thread "Want even more boot space?" including ordering the proper kia floor mat from abroad markets that dont have the silly tray stuff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts