·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,883 Posts
Can’t you see this is an intended Brexit benefit to get more old cars off the road?

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,517 Posts
Nothing to do with Brexit in many cases.
It's Covid.
Pierburgh, a major German manufacturer of parts closed down their factory for weeks last summer causing a global shortage. Some parts are still in short supply.
Brexit may cause delays but it does not block imports and nor has it caused prices to rise. (apart from profiteering by some importers)

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe R90 Signature Nav
257 Posts
Well...I can't talk about all small garages, but I know few people here in Scotland that have garages and one of them even doing MOT for HGV (different class MOT I think) and all of them are getting parts from a web site that I cannot name here obviously but they have few other "sisters" sites with the domain co.uk but everything is shipped from warehouses in Germany and Poland. With the £ going up it is actually cheaper for them to order parts from continental Europe. The delivery usually takes between 3 to 5 calendar days. So for non urgent parts all of them are using this internet source. Other than that I personally haven't seen anything negative so far from Brexit. As far as I am concerned this is the best thing that happen to the UK....and I am saying that as a "European" living here in the UK.....for the last 35 years 😉
You are asking for any positive outcome....lets just say that the UK is openning and EU is closing down again. The best news for me from yesterday was that Merkel got vaccinated with AstraZeneca.....karma is a bitch isn't it 😂

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,517 Posts
Well...I can't talk about all small garages, but I know few people here in Scotland that have garages and one of them even doing MOT for HGV (different class MOT I think) and all of them are getting parts from a web site that I cannot name here obviously but they have few other "sisters" sites with the domain co.uk but everything is shipped from warehouses in Germany and Poland. With the £ going up it is actually cheaper for them to order parts from continental Europe. The delivery usually takes between 3 to 5 calendar days. So for non urgent parts all of them are using this internet source. Other than that I personally haven seen anything negative so far from Brexit. As far as I am concerned this is the best thing that happen to the UK....and I am saying that as a "European" living here in the UK.....for the last 35 years 😉
You mean Autodoc = (buycarparts.co.uk etc).
I've used them many times and have an order on its way. They are a bit slow to ship and use GLS, the world's worst shipping company to deliver (Parcelforce do the UK delivery so the last stage is fast)

Also not had any extra costs or import fees.

I would definitely recommend sticking your reg number into their website if you need parts. Their massive range or parts and brands put's the like of our GSF and Eurocarparts to shame, as well as beating them on price.

·
Registered
257 Posts
You mean Autodoc = (buycarparts.co.uk etc).
I've used them many times and have an order on its way. They are a bit slow to ship and use GLS, the world's worst shipping company to deliver (Parcelforce do the UK delivery so the last stage is fast)

Also not had any extra costs or import fees.
Well....you've said it 😂

I was trying not to "advertise" anything here but yes, its them. All the parts are from big names and original and the service is spot on.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nothing to do with Brexit in many cases.
It's Covid.

Brexit may cause delays but it does not block imports and nor has it caused prices to rise. (apart from profiteering by some importers)
Agree that in many cases it is not Brexit related and that Brexit is causing delays as you state. But the articles does state that prices have risen. If people have more paperwork is that not a legitimate reason to increase prices (I.e. not profiteering). The exporters do have to do additional work that they did not have to do pre Brexit so are they not reasonably charging more. Would you do more work for the same pay?

The article explains:
“The increased prices come despite a tariff-free trade agreement between the UK and EU, which was agreed on December 23, 2020 that hypothetically meant no extra charges for bringing car parts into the UK.

However, extra layers of administration and a lack of clarity around VAT rules are hampering this.
More work”

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,517 Posts
As I said, it has not cost me more for the same products from autodoc in Germany since 1st Jan so I'm not convinced that in all cases Brexit is responsible.
However. there is no doubt in my mind that those companies that will do the necessary paperwork are 'milking' the changes excessively for their own benefit. The HMRC do need to simplify importing or exempt SMEs from it altogether.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Agree that in many cases it is not Brexit related and that Brexit is causing delays as you state. But the articles does state that prices have risen. If people have more paperwork is that not a legitimate reason to increase prices (I.e. not profiteering). The exporters do have to do additional work that they did not have to do pre Brexit so are they not reasonably charging more. Would you do more work for the same pay?

The article explains:
“The increased prices come despite a tariff-free trade agreement between the UK and EU, which was agreed on December 23, 2020 that hypothetically meant no extra charges for bringing car parts into the UK.

However, extra layers of administration and a lack of clarity around VAT rules are hampering this.
More work”
Personally I think that in 21st century for anyone to make an excuses about "additional paperwork" is appalling. Yes initially takes few more days or weeks to set up all the proper forms into your database but after that is just a click away. The same way as some dealers are charging "Admin fee" What the hell is that? Now you can transfer ownership of a car or even transfer number plate from one car to another for 20 seconds flat on the internet. The same is with road tax, so why they still charging "admin fee" is beyond me.
The same apply for all the traders and suppliers, almost everything in todays world is either on some website or in the App on your phone

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
569 Posts
Well I just got stung £60 import duty for MTB parts from Germany and I was lucky they would ship it other people just get their business refused. Brexit the gift that keeps on taking.
The business I work for has had lots of problems exporting to Europe but that’s another story. I just feel lucky I’m still in a job but for how much longer who knows.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,517 Posts
Well I just got stung £60 import duty for MTB parts from Germany and I was lucky they would ship it other people just get their business refused. Brexit the gift that keeps on taking.
The business I work for has had lots of problems exporting to Europe but that’s another story. I just feel lucky I’m still in a job but for how much longer who knows.
Surely it was vat not duties and the seller wouldn't have charged their vat?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I am really curious what the problems were exporting to EU? Other than a few more forms to fill up, do you have some real issues? Like custom checks, refusing to accept shipments etc?
Everything I read about so far for any issues is almost 100% related to people not doing the preparation. Meaning, business don't have the right forms, the right certificates etc. How this is a Brexit fault exactly? Perhaps instead of thinking and acting like everyone is trying to make your life miserable why don't you take control of it?
People had become too accustomed to the way of life that everything is just given to them without any effort and this is not good for any society. So what we are supposed to do? Just sit in the corner crying that we need to do some work for a change?
I never heard anyone complaining when they are buying stuff from US or Japan for example and have to deal with all the paperwork and custom forms. So why is such an issue if anyone have to do the same buying or selling from/to Germany for example?
It is a time for everyone to stop moaning and just get on with it.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
608 Posts
I am really curious what the problems were exporting to EU? Other than a few more forms to fill up, do you have some real issues? Like custom checks, refusing to accept shipments etc?
Everything I read about so far for any issues is almost 100% related to people not doing the preparation. Meaning, business don't have the right forms, the right certificates etc. How this is a Brexit fault exactly? Perhaps instead of thinking and acting like everyone is trying to make your life miserable why don't you take control of it?
People had become too accustomed to the way of life that everything is just given to them without any effort and this is not good for any society. So what we are supposed to do? Just sit in the corner crying that we need to do some work for a change?
I never heard anyone complaining when they are buying stuff from US or Japan for example and have to deal with all the paperwork and custom forms. So why is such an issue if anyone have to do the same buying or selling from/to Germany for example?
It is a time for everyone to stop moaning and just get on with it.
Strange argument, we've just made life harder for ourselves with additional paperwork for no tangible benefits. Prices have definitely risen for lots of goods (a lot of it is to do with covid and limited supply admittedly) but many EU companies have simply given up sending stuff to the UK. And many UK companies have stopped sending stuff to the EU.
Therefore less competition, prices rise. If you were a business sending goods between EU and UK, it is now more work, so you either stop bothering or you increase your price. Especially when there is a global shortage of many things due to Covid, you'd sell your limited supply where you can make the most profit. That's just business.
Oh and ask the British fishermen how they are getting on trying to sell their shellfish to EU countries, and tell me they haven't been sold a complete dog...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Importing small amounts of anything from anywhere into the UK is now problematic, even if the official UK government policy is to raise a blind eye to import duty from the EU, if anything comes via a regular parcel via Royal Mail or any major courier, then they will sting you for any unpaid VAT, import duty, and a generous mandatory 'convenience fee' for them accepting the tax payments for you.
If you bring in a container load of similar stuff, the paperwork is a lot less work than any courier bringing in thousands of different packages from different customers to different recipients. The extra work that the UK's HMRC is insisting on business outside the UK collecting VAT on their behalf, and holding HMRC VAT accounts when sending stuff to the UK (when it's not necessary for shipping anywhere else on the planet), then a large number of businesses, worldwide, are now refusing to ship anything to the UK.

·
Registered
257 Posts
@Electrickery @Simon..Hewison thank you both for your input however, neither of you wrote anything different to what I have already written. The "forms", the "paperwork", the "hassle", they "will sting you for any UNPAID VAT".... So is that means that we never paid VAT for anything imported from EU till 01/01/21?
The British fishermen and the shelfish sales...after the subject is given as an example I am sure you know that the EU are the one that have changed their position in the beginning of February this year regarding what kind of shellfish they will allow for sale in the EU. And before the argument goes even further let me just remind you @Electrickery that the British fishermen overwhelming (92% of them) voted FOR Brexit.... So it would be only fair if we see both sides of the story, and as it has been mentioned....this is the cost of doing business. You either adapt or you going under.
EU and UK companies "giving up of sending stuff" to quote your post....well...perhaps they are giving up but rest assured that someone else who doesn't give up will take the "empty" space left by the companies who just don't bother any longer because of the "paperwork"... As you have said this is business.
"Strange argument, we've just made life harder for ourselves" Can I ask who told you that life is one uninterrupted path of joy and happiness? So you lived in Eden till now and the "bad" UK government following the majority vote from your fellow countrymen took away your paradise? As I've written above, we are very good here in the UK of moaning and complaining and seems like always is other side fault.....for everything.
I would love to continue this conversation perhaps 2 years from now and see then where the UK stands. Don't just give up because you are out of your comfort zone and habits, instead of just complaining why don't you see this as opportunity to expand, develop and progress even further?
Too much to ask perhaps?

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
So is that means that we never paid VAT for anything imported from EU till 01/01/21?
Anything purchased from another EU country before 1st January the VAT was due in the country from which it was purchased. Since then VAT is due in the UK instead. Even if you already paid German VAT you still have to pay the full UK VAT on top of it when importing goods.

Large shippers (and I expect the car part supplier mentioned above is plenty large enough) will have registered with the UK VAT office and will be paying the VAT correctly on packages shipped from the EU. Small suppliers simply cannot afford to do this: they have to pay to register for UK VAT and if they only ship a few hundred pounds worth of goods to the UK the registration fees alone make it not worthwhile let alone the additional costs of filling in UK paperwork for a small business not based in the UK. So the small suppliers will simply refuse to ship to the UK.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,517 Posts
Anything purchased from another EU country before 1st January the VAT was due in the country from which it was purchased. Since then VAT is due in the UK instead. Even if you already paid German VAT you still have to pay the full UK VAT on top of it when importing goods.
No reason why goods from overseas should be vat free in the UK, a level playing field is essential. It's not just EU importers that have to register for UK vat, we are now collecting vat from Chinese Ebay sellers who have had an unfair advantage as in most cases neither vat nor duties were collected.

It is true that smaller companies may not bother shipping to the UK, but the decision will depend on potential loss of profits if they decide not to register.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
No reason why goods from overseas should be vat free in the UK, a level playing field is essential. It's not just EU importers that have to register for UK vat, we are now collecting vat from Chinese Ebay sellers who have had an unfair advantage as in most cases neither vat nor duties were collected.

It is true that smaller companies may not bother shipping to the UK, but the decision will depend on potential loss of profits if they decide not to register.
Goods from overseas never have been vat free, nothing has changed there. The only difference is the country in which the VAT is payable is now the UK and we expect all sellers in the EU to register with UK authorities and pay the VAT, previously one registration in their own country was sufficient. Also of couse for UK companies selling to the EU instead of just registering with the UK VAT office they now have to register with all of the EU countries with which they do business and potentially fill out 27 countries' VAT returns instead of one.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Even if you already paid German VAT you still have to pay the full UK VAT on top of it when importing goods.
So how come you are paying VAT in Germany for goods that you are exporting from Germany ? If you export OUTSIDE EU you are tax free (VAT free)...the same as when you were flying to Turkey for example and getting your cigarettes from the Airport...is it not?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts