Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, but here goes.

I've been looking for some where to visit at weekends where I can guarantee an overnight charge without having to pop down the road or go to ASDA, so B&B or hotel or cottage rental comes to mind. ZCW have done a fantastic job with the roll-out of charging points in the leisure industry but I want more! On a google search of EV charging in N Wales, I came across this site...

http://www.lastminute-cottages.co.uk/electric-car-charging-points.php

This is a cottage site with a filter for EV charging. Excellent!

I then checked out all the other major cottage rental sites and, well, nothing. So I contacted them all and I've had an immediate reply from nearly all. This got me thinking and I've sent a reply to one company (the Marketing Director replied) that goes like this;

Many thanks for your quick reply. I have had similar responses from the other major cottage companies and, as I mentioned, at least one has incorporated a filter.

http://www.lastminute-cottages.co.uk/electric-car-charging-points.php

I can see two positive outputs from having such a filter;

1. It will be publicised to the growing number of EV owners, many of which are reasonably well off (these cars aren’t cheap!). EV owners tend to form communities of users (https://speakev.com/ being just one example, but there are forums on the Nissan and Tesla websites where people discuss where to charge and how difficult it is to find somewhere nice to stay where you can charge overnight). It’s certainly one marketing plus I can think of (although I am no marketer!)

2. Your interaction with the cottage owners would spark interest and serve to help grow the number of locations installing these charging points.

Given point 1), I can see why companies like yours would be interested and given point 2) I think the EV “community” should help you. To that end, I will contact various experts in the technology and provide you with technical support should you wish to contact your owners. There are a few types of charging point and the service which goes that little bit further to show it understands EV charging requirements would see a surge in interest.

Call to Action!

Right, I could be barking up the wrong tree here but if most of the biggest cottage-letting companies don't survey their owners for EV points or provide a filter so EV owners can find them, then that's a problem, surely? How can we help?

I think that given the wide range of expertise on this site, we could come up with a bare minimum of information required for us to decide if the EV charger is useful to us. The kW output, the socket type, tethered or untethered etc., what else? Perhaps even a "public charging nearby" like they already have "pub nearby"?

I think we need to help these companies ask the right questions of their owners so we get the right information. We also need to help publicise the sites that provide such filters.

A quote from one marketing director;

"I know there are a few who have put it in. I will enquire and let you know who has them. We could incorporate it as a filter on the website, but haven't as yet had any demand."

To recap;
  1. Help leisure industry (in this case cottage letting) devise a means of illiciting the information EV users need.
  2. This will publicise charging points (and the demand for them) to all the owners, rewarding those who already have them and encouraging those who don't to at least think about installing them.
  3. This will publicise EV and charging points to all users of these cottage-letting websites.

Build it and they will come!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Great idea Lee, I will certainly use it. On the leisure theme I was thinking of other places that would benefit from chargers where cars sit for a while like cinemas, car ferries, any more ????

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Do any theme parks have charging points
Thorpe Park. It's ChargeMaster so costs nearly as much as your ticket. Think it was domestic plug but may have been type-2 too (there seems to be two points, I wasn't bothered to investigate much as was CM).

Think they may have been Source London co-branded.

Here's what it looked like when I was there, partially ICEd.

2014-08-27 14.34.25.jpg

·
Registered
531 Posts
Whereabouts at Thorpe Park are these Paul? I am due their soon for a visit. Are they in the main carpark?! Usually as you go in you get funneled down the long lines of parked cars, so where do you go to park at the EV points?

Oh and I read that these are currently free although you do need a Source London card.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I've answered the question myself now as they are on this years park Map, but having just phoned someone who goes regualrly he tells me the spaces are offen ICEd as they are near the entrance and that I shouldn't risk arriving without enough charge to get back to a rapid to get me on the way home! Kind of beats the hell out of having chargers for EV drivers if people are just going to abandon their ICE cars there for the day and stop people using them. Thorpe need to be policing the EV spaces or restricting access to the EV parking area, to EVs!

·
Conflicted Ecoworrier/Petrolhead
3,225 Posts
You need to ask Thorp to cone off the spaces with reserved signs. Ideally fold down metal posts.

EV owners know who they are reserved for ;)

Simple tactic that works fairly well. Charger units are invisible to ICE drivers. They look like lamp posts, BT boxes and CCTV comms bits. I.e. part of the street furniture. I only started noiticing how many were around once i started thinking of getting an EV.

Can't excuse it when is on ecotricity rapid though. Or a proper marked space with large signs up.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I don't think people that ICE the spaces at Thorpe can be excused - they're in an entirely penned in area, seperate from the normal car parking area and you have to drive past 2 EV charging signs and a narrow entrance to go in there! To be fair to Thorpe, it seems they have done everything people usually say would stop the problem!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts