Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I am lucky enough to own a Tesla that still has some free charging left. We went away to a self-catering cottage for a week in Yorkshire. The cottage had a type 2 charger which was free to use. I topped up the car the night before we left and we travelled about 700 miles during the week. Total cost 90p approximately which equates to VERY low running cost.
Whilst we were away it made me wonder how many ICE drivers have gone on holiday to find the property owners fill up your fuel tank every day for free! I did actually say to the owner he should be charging a reasonable figure for the charger as I do not think charging should be free.

Registered
MG EZS 2020
We went to Norfolk couple of years ago with ex-RAF friends of ours and shared an apartment. We both have EVs, me a Zoe at the time and my friend a 40 kWh Leaf. There was no charger, but we could granny charge from the owner's garage. We did offer to pay, but the owner said that it was such a small cost it didn't really matter.(y)

Registered
Kona Premium Se - 64k , 2020 model.
We're off to somerset in August, t2 charger included. The satisfaction of knowing we can drive without need to stop, arrive, have the car charged and come home again two days later... Certainly a great reason to choose a specific hotel, B&B or self catering place. And it's not about the cost, it's the convenience.

Reactions: Roo and Neilew

Registered
Audi E-Tron
Mind, considering the cost of most UK accommodation is enough to make me prefer going abroad, the least they can do is offer small perks like electric charging as others mentioned it'll basically cost nothing in electricity. I mean, they could offer to charge but the likelihood is they'll charge something like 拢10-15 which depending on the vehicle most people wouldn't pay as it's likely cheaper from home or elsewhere.

Registered
I mean, they could offer to charge but the likelihood is they'll charge something like 拢10-15 which depending on the vehicle most people wouldn't pay as it's likely cheaper from home or elsewhere.
It depends on what you compare it to. If you assume that you take 40kWh (enough for 100 miles in the E-Tron) that's between 25p and 37.5p kWh. That's no more than most Rapids but without having to wait while it charges or divert to find one. I'd pay for the convenience, particularly with Wife and child in tow.

Registered
We granny charged the Countryman when we had a holiday in Devon a couple of years back. The owner of the cottage (typical converted farm complex) was very interested in the process and asked a lot of questions which I was happy to answer.

Six years ago we stayed at a place in the Cotswolds that had a charger. We didn't have anything plug in at the time but during our stay there was an Ampera regularly plugging in.

Registered
We stayed in an AirBnB cottage in Sussex last year. No 7kW charger but used granny lead from kitchen window. Insisted on paying but it was ultra-affordable as cottage was heated with storage heaters so had economy-7 and 7h/night was ample. We would have returned this year but have postponed till next.

Registered
Kona Premium Se - 64k , 2020 model.
We stayed in an AirBnB cottage in Sussex last year. No 7kW charger but used granny lead from kitchen window. Insisted on paying but it was ultra-affordable as cottage was heated with storage heaters so had economy-7 and 7h/night was ample. We would have returned this year but have postponed till next.
Can't wait flr airbnb to add charge points as a filter...

The main issue with going to a place that doesn't have a dedicated charge point is knowing that your granny will reach. Some may be very easy, but others...

Registered
The main issue with going to a place that doesn't have a dedicated charge point is knowing that your granny will reach. Some may be very easy, but others...
I tend to carry a 25m 'caravan lead' with me. That's rated at 16A and the adapters at either end also use heavy duty cable. Very seldom need it.

Registered
MG EZS 2020
Can't wait flr airbnb to add charge points as a filter...
This is a major issue. I've been on to Hosean's, Haven, Cottage Holidays and the like for about 4 years now to show a filter for chargers. In 2016 went to Haven near Skegness in a lodge in a 22 kWh Zoe (about 160ish miles) wondering about charging. We had done plan A, B, and C. Imagine the joy to find that they had 2 dual type 2 in front of reception (to charge their staff buggies) that were also free to use and for most of the week I was the only one using them. There was no mention in the brochure or on the website. I left an customer feedback with them on this subject. Tried to book with Haven the following year and no filter still. I rang and asked if any had other chargers yet. The reply was choose a site and then ring the site and ask them if they have chargers:(

Registered
There's a really hacky way of doing it, not ideal but it helps - https://www.reddit.com/r/AirBnB/comments/bbe70u
GR8 !!

I pretended I wanted a washing machine then changed the final "&amenities%5B%5D=33" to "&amenities%5B%5D=97" and sure enough it found a couple of places in Devon that mentioned an EV point. Looking at the end of their list, a box offered to "remove EV charger" to increase hits to several thousand.

Bizarrely, editing the url to change "Devon" to "Cornwall" didn't work - although of course there's a 'normal' facility to change target location which did.

All we need now is for AirBNB to document the facility (surely it must be a current test that will go live eventually).

Many thanks,

Registered
We have offered free charging (with a 7kw charger and an outdoor 13A socket) in our holiday cottage for about three years. What typically happens is that people arrive in need of a major top up on the Friday, plug it in overnight and are full on the Saturday morning. Then they potter around down to some beaches and things during the week, doing very few miles. They will either top up their few miles each night, or charge up fully on the Thursday before they leave. We therefore pay for a full charge and a partial one. The cost to us is minimal, and though our summers would be fully booked anyway, we get one or two more weeks of occupancy in the autumn as a result.

Incidentally, we've reluctantly made the decision not to take bookings this year.

Reactions: Neilew

Registered
I did actually say to the owner he should be charging a reasonable figure for the charger as I do not think charging should be free.
Speaking to one B&B owner who offered free charging he said that the cost of providing free charging for my 24kWh Leaf (we had found him from Zap-Map) was less than he would be paying to a booking site if we had booked through that site. Hence, to him providing free charging was, in effect, cheap advertising.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts