Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
16A now seems soo last year. Were GM being over cautious? I wonder if they'll be a retrofit upgraded in car charger option?

Super Moderator
Yep, the EV1 had 32A charging, GM seem to have dropped the ball on this one...!

Maybe they just figured most users would only charge overnight/at the office, in which case 16A is fine for a vehicle with a range extender.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
you're right with the petrol back-up it's not an issue. I am just wondering why you wouldn't fit it anyway (is there a battery life issue?) and I can imagine re-sale wise in a couple of years people will say "it takes how long to recharge."

Registered
16A now seems soo last year. Were GM being over cautious? I wonder if they'll be a retrofit upgraded in car charger option?
I agree now Derek, though when I bought the car it didn't seem an issue! To be honest, for my sort of driving patterns, home charging is fine. And in fact, because of my solar panels, I usually charge at 6A these days anyway!

Reactions: Lee Dalton

Registered
I agree GM do seem to have been pretty cautious with battery life, with battery heating AND cooling and only using the middle of the possible charge levels. At the time when the Volt/Ampera was being designed there was a lot of talk being banded around about how EVs would have to come with battery packs costing $1000s that would have to be replaced every few years (hence the 8 year warranty I guess).

The batteries do sometimes experience a much greater charge rate during regenerative braking but that is in short infrequent bursts.

Time will tell whether they were just cautious, or over cautious!

Personally I rarely charge during the day so whether a charge takes 1 hour or 8 hours doesn't really matter to me! I am planning on keeping my Ampera for at least 8 years and by then I am expecting it to be looking laughably old-tech with it's 40-odd mile range and 16A charging; however no car is worth much after 8 years so that doesn't bother me.

Super Moderator
Yeah GM seemed to have gone for a design which has 40 miles the day you buy it and 40 miles the day it goes to the great recycling centre in the sky. They could have gone for something that had 55 miles range the day you buy it and ~45 at the end of it's life with exactly the same hardware, the thermal management really would have let them use a much wider SOC window. If you had an EPA of 55 miles vs the EPA of 73 on the gen1 Leaf, the Volt/Ampera really would have looked a lot more appealing!

Registered
32a would be awesome, I could grab a full charge a couple of times a day, making it more of an Ev and only an occasional Rex !
Watching the regen sit at 15kw (80a) for reasonable periods of time while going downhill always makes me think 6.6kw wouldn't be that bad for the battery .....

Registered
Watching the regen sit at 15kw (80a) for reasonable periods of time while going downhill always makes me think 6.6kw wouldn't be that bad for the battery .....
Remind me how you can see the level of regen Lee, is it because you've got a recent model which shows it on the display? Wish I had that on mine, it'd be fun.

Registered
It's in the middle of the dash

You turn the twiddly knock with the config button to the right of the steering wheel :) it's in there with the tyre pressures and odometers.
Mine is a 2013 model tho.

Registered
Yeah that's a bit newer than mine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts