Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have often visited public chargers, only to find no lights showing and the post apparently dead. Today I visited Waitrose, Ipswich and found one post dead and the other in use by a Citroen EV. There was a spare socket on the second post, so I swiped my Source East card and set my 2013 Leaf charging. I returned after an hour to find the post completely dead. This had happened several times before and I had reported the fault to Chargemaster and always they said they would attend. This time, I again phoned Chargemaster and spoke to a polite young lady who said she would reboot the post and it should be fine in 5 minutes. After 5 minutes the post was still dead with no lights showing. I mentioned to the young lady that it appeared there was no power to the post, but she said to wait a little longer. I then found a Waitrose maintenance chap who said that the posts often tripped their breaker and he would reset it for me. 5 minutes later the post was working again and the Citroen had, surprisingly, restarted the charge. Before I tried to plug in again, I chatted to the Waitrose maintenance chap and asked him what size the breaker was. He told me it was 32A for each post!

So if the total load to a post exceeded that value, the breaker would trip. My Leaf has the 32A charger, so it is obvious what has been happening. Being kind, I would guess that the original spec for the posts was to accommodate up to 2 cars charging at 16A each, but nobody at Chargemaster had realised that modern EV's sometimes take more! I always assumed there was a tricky software problem with these posts, but it appears that the problem was a very basic incorrect breaker value? I really hope the cables to the posts can take the 64A each that is now required, so that the correct breakers can be fitted?

I tweeted this to Waitrose and Chargemaster and Waitrose responded immediately....

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I have often visited public chargers, only to find no lights showing and the post apparently dead. Today I visited Waitrose, Ipswich and found one post dead and the other in use by a Citroen EV. There was a spare socket on the second post, so I swiped my Source East card and set my 2013 Leaf charging. I returned after an hour to find the post completely dead. This had happened several times before and I had reported the fault to Chargemaster and always they said they would attend. This time, I again phoned Chargemaster and spoke to a polite young lady who said she would reboot the post and it should be fine in 5 minutes. After 5 minutes the post was still dead with no lights showing. I mentioned to the young lady that it appeared there was no power to the post, but she said to wait a little longer. I then found a Waitrose maintenance chap who said that the posts often tripped their breaker and he would reset it for me. 5 minutes later the post was working again and the Citroen had, surprisingly, restarted the charge. Before I tried to plug in again, I chatted to the Waitrose maintenance chap and asked him what size the breaker was. He told me it was 32A for each post!

So if the total load to a post exceeded that value, the breaker would trip. My Leaf has the 32A charger, so it is obvious what has been happening. Being kind, I would guess that the original spec for the posts was to accommodate up to 2 cars charging at 16A each, but nobody at Chargemaster had realised that modern EV's sometimes take more! I always assumed there was a tricky software problem with these posts, but it appears that the problem was a very basic incorrect breaker value? I really hope the cables to the posts can take the 64A each that is now required, so that the correct breakers can be fitted?

I tweeted this to Waitrose and Chargemaster and Waitrose responded immediately....
Quite handy that someone on site had at least some clue about the posts ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts