Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, this is my first post here!

I've decided that the Ampera is the car for me, as normally I commute 66 miles to west London and back every day. It's not idea, but 42miles of that is a super cruise on the M3, then the other 24 miles on the A316, usually in traffic. I can charge at work, but not at home. I really like the engineering and style of the Ampera, and am looking out for a later model with lower mileage hopefully. They're becoming affordable for me now, and want to get one before the new ULEZ rules come in to place next year.

The thing is I'd really like a red one, but don't see many of them for sale, is that because it's a bit of a rare colour? I don't want to hold out pointlessly if it's unlikely one will come up.

Cheers, George

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Slightly rare as the blu &red metallics were a £1000 extra. You could also consider Ioniq 38 kWh, the red one is almost the same burgundy red, same size, v similar aerodynamic shape, not quite so nippy off the line, but lots more new toys to play with! Radar controlled auto Cc is nice for steady mway cruising. Just bought one to replace red Ampy (not yet for sale). Obvs costs more, but this will do 140 miles daily in all weather no sweat, and you'll save lots on petrol. Not sure how much longer Amperas will be valid for Ulez zone stuff, I've a feeling they lose eligibility soon as not 100% electric. Fwiw I paid £25000 for mine, 1 yr old, 3% bank loan 5 years for most of this sum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Slightly rare as the blu &red metallics were a £1000 extra. You could also consider Ioniq 38 kWh, the red one is almost the same burgundy red, same size, v similar aerodynamic shape, not quite so nippy off the line, but lots more new toys to play with! Radar controlled auto Cc is nice for steady mway cruising. Just bought one to replace red Ampy (not yet for sale). Obvs costs more, but this will do 140 miles daily in all weather no sweat, and you'll save lots on petrol. Not sure how much longer Amperas will be valid for Ulez zone stuff, I've a feeling they lose eligibility soon as not 100% electric. Fwiw I paid £25000 for mine, 1 yr old, 3% bank loan 5 years for most of this sum.
That kinda figures they'd be less of them if it's an extra £1K, I could be happy with white if there's none about though. Interesting what you say about ULEZ, I know in October it's being extended to fill the south and north circular, but hadn't heard that might end up being just for 100% electric.

Wow the second hand market for the Ioniq has picked up since I last looked! I'd love a newish one with that range, but my budget is around £12K, but even then, I can see some 2018 PHEVs for around £13K with the same range as the Ampera. My other choice was a BMW i3, but I can't reconcile how they are on the motorway, even with traffic jam assist, so the Ampera is winning right now. I think I'm really draw to it being a bit unusual too (in a cool way)

Thanks for the tips, and feel free to PM me if and when you decide to sell your red Ampera :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
That kinda figures they'd be less of them if it's an extra £1K, I could be happy with white if there's none about though. Interesting what you say about ULEZ, I know in October it's being extended to fill the south and north circular, but hadn't heard that might end up being just for 100% electric.

Wow the second hand market for the Ioniq has picked up since I last looked! I'd love a newish one with that range, but my budget is around £12K, but even then, I can see some 2018 PHEVs for around £13K with the same range as the Ampera. My other choice was a BMW i3, but I can't reconcile how they are on the motorway, even with traffic jam assist, so the Ampera is winning right now. I think I'm really draw to it being a bit unusual too (in a cool way)

Thanks for the tips, and feel free to PM me if and when you decide to sell your red Ampera :)
Definitely seen more reds than blues - but they look good in any colour. Better to find one in good nick with service history, balance of Voltec warranty etc I’d say. Mine’s red but bought it because it had low miles and was MY13. Had it just over a year and done 12k miles in it since (most before March). Very nice car it is too. Good luck with the search! Don’t be fooled by electric miles claims of some other PHEVs - Amp still takes some beating.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hello all, this is my first post here!

I've decided that the Ampera is the car for me, as normally I commute 66 miles to west London and back every day. It's not idea, but 42miles of that is a super cruise on the M3, then the other 24 miles on the A316, usually in traffic. I can charge at work, but not at home. I really like the engineering and style of the Ampera, and am looking out for a later model with lower mileage hopefully. They're becoming affordable for me now, and want to get one before the new ULEZ rules come in to place next year.
I picked up my Ampera about 6 weeks ago, very happy with it overall. I commute 54 miles Mon-Wed (round trip) to south London (about 20 miles up the M20 at 65mph and then 7miles through stop/start traffic), in this current climate (normally around 7/8 celcius when I leave in the morning) I get around 30-35 miles on the battery depending on how much heating I use. Pre-heating the car in the morning whilst on charge will save a lot of the heating cost incurred on the battery but since you cannot charge at home in the cold it will probably be best to set off on the ICE which will heat the car traditionally and then save your electricity for later in the slow traffic.
If you can't find a red one just a word of warning white ones get dirty very quickly! Well mine does anyway but I do cover 1000miles a month.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I picked up my Ampera about 6 weeks ago, very happy with it overall. I commute 54 miles Mon-Wed (round trip) to south London (about 20 miles up the M20 at 65mph and then 7miles through stop/start traffic), in this current climate (normally around 7/8 celcius when I leave in the morning) I get around 30-35 miles on the battery depending on how much heating I use. Pre-heating the car in the morning whilst on charge will save a lot of the heating cost incurred on the battery but since you cannot charge at home in the cold it will probably be best to set off on the ICE which will heat the car traditionally and then save your electricity for later in the slow traffic.
If you can't find a red one just a word of warning white ones get dirty very quickly! Well mine does anyway but I do cover 1000miles a month.
Drive it in Mountain mode if the Batt. is empty for a few miles and it will charge the main battery up to about 50%

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It sounds like you have a similar journey to me, so it's good to hear your experiences, and that you're enjoying the car too. Thanks for the tips, I kinda figure I'd probably try various combinations of EV and ICE to see what works for me, but hopefully in the near future I'll be able to charge from home.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Drive it in Mountain mode if the Batt. is empty for a few miles and it will charge the main battery up to about 50%
It's more like 35% and it's actually a pretty inefficient thing to do. If the battery is "flat", just let the car do its thing until you can plug in to charge. The only exception might be if you absolutely must run all-electric nearer your destination, in which case the need outweighs the inefficiency.

·
Registered
465 Posts
It's more like 35%
I believe this varies - my 2013 model will re-charge up to 50% (5.3 kWh capacity) in MM and although people often say that this is not efficient, in terms of cost and time it works for me. I say this because it usually works out cheaper (and quicker) than plugging in at a public charging point. To me the real benefit of the Ampera is that I can always charge it up overnight at home and never have to worry about finding a way to charge it when I am away from home. My overall running cost works out at just under 7p a mile which compares favourably with conventional cars that I have owned that rarely achieved less that 15p a mile.

·
Registered
71 Posts
But what advantage does using Mountain Mode to charge the battery have over simply running the car in Normal mode and not charging the battery?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Probably none. MM means petrol -> electricity -> battery -> motor -> wheels.
Hold means petrol-> wheels (maybe 50% of the power this route?) +
petrol -> battery -> motor -> wheels (the remainng whatever %age).
So Hold has an optimisation, whereby some of the crankshaft power gets fed straight to the wheels, so avoiding the into-and-out-of-battery = 2 sets of energy conversion, which is <100% efficient. Am not sure if MM can use this mode though; I suspect it doesn't, as the engine tends to get well revved.

But MM is useful e.g. if touring abroad doing far more miles than you have electricity for, unable to find chargers, and wanting to drive through built-up areas witout polluting them with NOx & CO2. It lets you concentrate the petrol burning to be done in open country.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been exploring the running costs for an Ampera for me; my current car does 65mpg combined on my commute and costs about £5.50 a day. Because of the (in my opinion) dysfunctional public charging tariffs/networks, I've realised charging at work would push that up to at least £9 a day, which breaks down as about £6.50 of charge for the first 40 miles, and then £2.50 for the 26 miles running the ICE & 50mpg.

I've been working out how I can charge at home, so that might all be moot, and I've found a garden centre nearby where I can charge for free, but realistically yes, I could totally imagine it working out cheaper to run in MM while I'm cruising at 60mph for the first 20 miles, rather than charging using a public station near to work. That's not a reflection on efficiency, but the rather shocking high cost of public charging.

I've read some brilliant posts here on the Ampera's ICE mpg, and it seems to me, given that I drive my commute like a priest on Sunday, if it costs me £7/8 a day doing the drive 100% on the ICE, then that's perfectly viable for me anyway!

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Ampera isn't really a car designed for public charging. And etiquette seems to generally be for PHEVs to leave public chargers free for full EVs who have no other choice.

I realise you've done your maths and everyone's situation is different, but broadly speaking, if you can't charge at home, the Ampera might not be the right car for you, if taken purely from and efficiency/cost-per-mile perspective.

The conservative breakeven point is about 39p/kWh. If you can't charge regularly at less than that, you'll probably be better off just using petrol.

The jury still seems to be out on whether Mountain Mode is more efficient than Hold (or just Normal once you've run out of battery) but I'm fairly sure most have agreed that it's never worth using Mountain Mode to recharge your battery from zero, although I guess if your school of thought is that MM is more efficient than Hold, and you've a lot of miles to do, I guess that's a scenario where it might balance out.

I'm sure Donald has done all the maths on this. He's probably the best to comment here.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
My 52 mile round commute is obviously too far for the battery but I do find hold works well for me. I can drive all the way to work and get about 1/4ish of the way home just on battery, but that leaves the battery empty for the last 3/4 of my journey home, the ICE works hard when you're accelerating at motorway speeds and going uphill which really tanks your overall MPG. I usually run the car in hold mode when on the flat or going downhill on the motorway then switch to normal for any hills, once I join the slow moving city traffic I stay in normal. I can do my roundtrip like this and average about ~110mpg according to the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Full disclosure, what's happening for me is that it's highly likely I'll be moving next year, and my goal is to move somewhere I can charge an EV at. Like a lot of people right now, I'm mostly working from home anyway, but I want to hang on for that nice MY13 red one, and knowing how rare they seem, If one came up next month and I bought it, would it burn a hole in my pocket until I moved.

The impression I get is no it wouldn't, and it's ULEZ compliant, so on the the running costs criteria it's fine. I also like the styling, the unusualness of it, and being a geek, the way you all seem to describe the drive train as some kind of engineering enigma!

It also has heated front seats, so my daughter approves!

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have a nagging in my mind about it not being as ULEZ compliant as others, something like it's category 5 not 6. I suppose some authorities may use different tables.

My recollection for London is that it avoids one charge (ULEZ maybe) but incurs the other (congestion IIRC).

Happy to be corrected. And don't let me put you off, they are great cars!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a nagging in my mind about it not being as ULEZ compliant as others, something like it's category 5 not 6. I suppose some authorities may use different tables.

My recollection for London is that it avoids one charge (ULEZ maybe) but incurs the other (congestion IIRC).

Happy to be corrected. And don't let me put you off, they are great cars!!!
My work is about a 100 metres inside the new ULEZ perimeter set by the north and south circular! For ULEZ though, from October 2021, the only thing that matters is that the ICE in the Ampera is Euro4 or higher. If I wanted to take the Ampera in to central London, then I would have to pay the congestion charge because it's not 100% electric.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts