Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks

Ordered my i3 today and i believe i should have it by end of October. My question is how do I get the use of the various public chargers when im out n about?

For instance there's a charger at the local train station, one at my wife's work and various others dotted about. Do i need some kind of app or a card to use these?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Your i3 should come with a Type 2 single phase public charging cable. Check with your dealer/ or BMW I. My dealer was happy for me to cover the price difference for a 3 phase cable. This will give you public charging up to 11kWs. The cable can also be used on 3.6 and 7.2kW posts.

Rapid CCS chargers have their own cable and plug.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Your i3 should come with a Type 2 single phase public charging cable. Check with your dealer/ or BMW I. My dealer was happy for me to cover the price difference for a 3 phase cable. This will give you public charging up to 11kWs. The cable can also be used on 3.6 and 7.2kW posts.

Must admit to be slightly bemused by this terminology that has crept in describing cables as PUBLIC CHARGING CABLES. The cables are completely agnostic as to whether they are used in public, in private, at work, commercially, domestically etc. Its basically a very lazy and incorrect shorthand,

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hey folks

Ordered my i3 today and i believe i should have it by end of October. My question is how do I get the use of the various public chargers when im out n about?

For instance there's a charger at the local train station, one at my wife's work and various others dotted about. Do i need some kind of app or a card to use these?
Depends on the network. I have about 4 apps, and about 3 cards in my glove compartment.

If you have a particular site in mind, look it up on www.zap-map.com. That will tell you about payment method.

Polar is exceptional in that there's a substantial subscription for Polar+ (Polar instants is expensive to use and doesn't work well). About £8/month. But actual use is relatively cheap or free.

Geniepoint and podpoint require a prepaid account, though podpoints are often free (when they're working)..

Electric Highway need you to set up an account, but charge each use to your debit card.

Charge Your Car charge you after the event, it's about £3/y for the card.

Instavolt have no account, just use a contactless.

There are some fairly local networks to like Alfa power, but it's probably only worth signing up if you actually use them.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Train station charging points usually occupied all day by commuters so IMHO not worth signing up to a provider/network for that one alone.

Is it the 120Ah model. Can you charge at home? Is your daily and weekend usage purely local and within range of home charging. If yes to above, you just need to work out what will work for impulse trips, 100 miles out and 100 miles back again sort of thing. If these are infrequent, Instavolt are good because you just pay contactless for what you use. Check out their local distribution by downloading ZapMap and using the filter, just search for Instavolt. Is your wife's work charger free? Might not be worth bothering with if more per unit than home charging?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts

Rapid CCS chargers have their own cable and plug.
Marketing. As you know, BMW’s offer is based on home charging with its tethered Wallbox and public charging on Chargemaster. Even the Digital Charging Service webpage talks about Home and Public. That said, I agree it is just a cable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like ive got homework for the weekend then, thanks for the info folks.

And yes it's the 120ah version and neither of us work more than 10 miles away (I'm less than a mile currently 😂) but its just handy to know incase i try an adventure. For the first couple of months I'll be relying on charging via domestic 3pin plug as we're living with relatives whilst out new home gets built so it might be handy to be able to plug in to a fast charger

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Yeah, you definitely need to get over beginners trepidation re DC rapid charging (we all have some). Really recommend Instavolt for dipping a toe in the water. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Marketing. As you know, BMW’s offer is based on home charging with its tethered Wallbox and public charging on Chargemaster. Even the Digital Charging Service webpage talks about Home and Public. That said, I agree it is just a cable.
Part of the value of the forum is advice to newbies as everyone has been at some stage and dispelling some of the BS and myth. ;)

·
Lettuce Leaf early to be sure of arriving on time.
895 Posts
Hey folks

Have you done any research? At all? Even to glancing through a single thread on here?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I've been interested in going ev for a while and got a loan of an i3 for a weekend in January to see how it performed in the winter. We were both smitten (wife n me) so I've been biding my time till our m135 went back and i could get my hands on one. Research is all well n good but i find asking on a forum tends to get the answers and more.. very helpful folks in this world

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Zap map is very helpful, and it seems that up in my area chargeplace scotland seems to be the main provider so I'll register with them nearer collection time.

Thanks v much all

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh and i noticed someone mention i should get a free 'public' charging cable with the car so I've emailed the dealer to find out if this is the case

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Oh and i noticed someone mention i should get a free 'public' charging cable with the car so I've emailed the dealer to find out if this is the case
Your dealer may know nothing about the offer. Contact [email protected] and ask them to confirm the offer which you can then show to your dealer.

Your dealer may agree to supply a 3 phase cable if you offer to pay the £72 difference. The dealer claims for the cost of the single phase cable from BMW I.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Polar is exceptional in that there's a substantial subscription for Polar+ (Polar instants is expensive to use and doesn't work well). About £8/month. But actual use is relatively cheap or free.
That is totally false and misleading information. With the new app, and the new charging structure, Polar Instant is as cheap and reliable as it gets. At 25p/kWh it is far cheaper than Electric Highway with their recent increase to 39p/kWh.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Your dealer may know nothing about the offer. Contact [email protected] and ask them to confirm the offer which you can then show to your dealer.

Your dealer may agree to supply a 3 phase cable if you offer to pay the £72 difference. The dealer claims for the cost of the single phase cable from BMW I.
I emailed about the free charging cable but the response was that only the standard charger is included which is a pity

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
7 Participants
Jamesno1
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing