Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
I emailed about the free charging cable but the response was that only the standard charger is included which is a pity
What's the standard charger? Is that the granny (with the 13A 3-pin plug)?

It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't supply a Type 2 cable, as I met an i3 driver once at a rapid who said he was unable to use a 7kW (free) car park charge point in the nearby town because he wasn't supplied with a cable. Basic equipment IMO. Fortunately, the Leaf comes with both.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Probably. In any case I've mentioned it to my friendly dealer so he might be able to do something for me. Failing that I'm sure I could make a cable up or buy one cheaper off the web

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
What's the standard charger? Is that the granny (with the 13A 3-pin plug)?

It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't supply a Type 2 cable, as I met an i3 driver once at a rapid who said he was unable to use a 7kW (free) car park charge point in the nearby town because he wasn't supplied with a cable. Basic equipment IMO. Fortunately, the Leaf comes with both.
How much are you spending on the car?

Another £150 for a charging cable will break the bank?

·
Registered
704 Posts
That is totally false and misleading information. With the new app, and the new charging structure, Polar Instant is as cheap and reliable as it gets. At 25p/kWh it is far cheaper than Electric Highway with their recent increase to 39p/kWh.
To be fair, I finally succumbed to Polar+ a few months ago and haven't, therefore, attempted to use Instants for many months. If the system has improved, fine.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
To be fair, I finally succumbed to Polar+ a few months ago and haven't, therefore, attempted to use Instants for many months. If the system has improved, fine.
Chargemaster recently revamped their charging structure, so much so that I am now happy to use them, as previously they weren't competitive, and now they are far cheaper than Ecotricity. I believe some users are even cancelling their subscription as it no longer makes sense for them to pay monthly. It might be worth you doing your sums again. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Glasgow 👍
Hi, Welcome to the forum.

I'm an ex-scot in Herfordshire with a BMW330E who recently had a trip up North.

I would say for use in Scotland just use Charge Point Scotland - they run most of the charging points, you can either use the Charge you Car app or the CPS RFID card ( £20 a year but easier to use ). Both the app and card will also work at the CYC chargers in England.

If you want a 2nd system for England - as someone else suggested have a look at Polar Instant - basically PAYG for your charges. Polar Plus has a monthly fee which makes no sense if you are not using it frequently.

For type2 cables - have a look on ebay. BMW dealers are selling them for about £120 - 7KW, and £200 11KW, depends how often you need the extra speed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yeah chargepoint seems to be ideal for me, handy to know it will work down south as well. Quite looking forward to my i3 coming, hopefully only around 5 or 6 weeks to wait

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
7 Participants
Jamesno1
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing