Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am surprised this is not a sticky somewhere. Forgive me if it is a post I have missed.

Tony
Embryo BEV owner.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
If you are talking fuel, then the vehicle will do 3...4...5 miles per kWh (owners will advise of a realistic figure for the specific vehicle), but it will change from summer to winter. My Leaf will do most journeys between 3.5 and 4.5 miles per kWh.

A kWh is a unit of electricity, and you will know what you are paying for it. If you are on economy 7 it may be 8p.

So, nominally, my cost (of fuel) per mile is 8 / 4 = 2p per mile

For a petrol car in comparison, divide the cost of a full tank by the range you get:
So, for example £60 / 500 miles = 0.12 or 12p per mile.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
You'll find that the car itself will report how many kWh you used, but when you come to refill it, you'll need about 10 to 15% more than that, as the charging process isn't 100% efficient. I think the Mercedes Benz EVs probably report an accurate figure based on what came out of the mains, but I think just-about all the other EVs give you what came out of the battery into the motor figures which is a tad less.

Whe you're out & about, depending on where you charge, some chargers are free to use. Scotland is mostly free, and a lot of supermarket destination-slow-chargers (well, technically they're "Fast" if they're the Type-2 socket which can be anything from 3.3 kW to 22, depending on the EV & whether 1 or 3-phase charging) may give free charges. E.g. the Westgate centre in Oxford is free electricity, which nicely offsets the high charge for nice new town-centre parking. But don't rely on them staying free!

I'm not familiar at all with the Rapids, and again they have their own tarrifs, so you could pay anything from 20-35p/kWh, or something like that. And there are subscription models, so it's all rather messy & complicated. But cheaper than petrol!

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,024 Posts
I am surprised this is not a sticky somewhere. Forgive me if it is a post I have missed.

Tony
Embryo BEV owner.
You can make the number whatever you want it to be.

Do you want to include depreciation, tyre wear, aftermarket warranty costs, insurance, servicing costs, etc..?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,024 Posts
If you are talking fuel, then the vehicle will do 3...4...5 miles per kWh (owners will advise of a realistic figure for the specific vehicle), but it will change from summer to winter. My Leaf will do most journeys between 3.5 and 4.5 miles per kWh.
Do you actually have evidence of that? I mean, you are suggesting 4.5kWh from the wall?

(If not, what is the connection to p/mile?)

Do you charge after each journey?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts